APWA Update: Indianapolis, Ind. Center

wkmac

with the red zone amendment that pass the house of rep. and the senate and if the president signs it into law, you will see alot of upset teamsters angry if hoffa and central states reduce their pensions !!!!!!!!!!!

Hey dm,

You may be right at some point in the future but at the moment Hoffa is about to declare himself the saviour with CS.

Check out the Summer 06' issue of Central States "Teamwork" magazine specifically page 12. For the details check this out.

http://www.browncafe.com/community/threads/attention-upsers-covered-by-central-states.22211/

wkmac

read the bottom of the page, its for the pensions that start now and retired in
2041 , thats 35 yrs of service. you may not like tdu but they reported that on their home page. Teamsters for a Democratic Union

TDU is correct on this as I just called CS direct and asked the representative and she verified that these new allocations are for new hires only. I asked if any adjustment at all was made to the payouts to someone like myself who had 25 years and she told me "No, there has been no change to the payouts of currently vested employees."

So let's understand this folks and you Freight guys need to understand this as well. They took our contractual guaranteed health coverage allocations raise for 2004', 2005, and 2006' and move them over to the pension to help an employee who in most respects doesn't even work under the coverage at this very moment.

Let that sink in real good!

Here's the info direct from TDU and again I called CS and verified
this to be true and the CS rep. did confirm it!

https://web.archive.org/web/20060823040241/http://www.tdu.org/pension.pdf

tulsatime

The question should be asked, what would happen to these teamsters' pension and health and welfare plans if UPS was not contributing. Presuming they would default and go into the PGCB federal insurance program, which pays 1,000 per month for multi-employee plans. So how in the world if they are successful will they be able to collect the funds to pay for any decent pension benefit, particularly for the members who wll be retiring in the next five years.

Well said. The only way to shore up the fund is organize more members into the Teamsters so that contributions would go up...especially younger workers who would contribute to the system for many years before retirement.

This is the big problem with the GOP pension "reform" (reform for employers, but a good screwing for the working guy). They essentially made it more difficult to create and fund pensions and proivided more incentives for employers to FORCE their workers into individual savings plans. That's why tens of thousands of Teamsters called their senators and representatives. But THEY didn't listen. The Union leadership can only do so much, the members can make their voices heard, but it is ultimately those who make the laws who are responsible for the results.

As for APWA, all I've seen is a lot of mystery, smoke, mirrors, wills, ifs, promises, but nothing of substance. What's with all the secrecy? As a 501c5, they have to reveal their financials at some point. So why not be up front with the workers you are asking for money? So what if the Teamsters find out how much you (don't) have? What does that change in terms of your goals? Are you afraid that if the pigeons you trying to pluck see how much you really have in the bank -- how much you're paying yourselves and that pricey union busting attorney -- they'll laugh all the way out of your meeting?

And if you think your CS health fund is being depleted now, what will happen if you pull out of CS and have no health care at all?

See, when it comes to pension plans and insurance, it's all about group coverage, the size of the pool. The bigger the pool, the less everyone pays. If you jump out of a big pool and into a smaller one, you will pay more because the overall risk is greater. To me its simple economics. There's power in numbers. The more members I have standing with me, the louder our voice is heard, the stronger we all will be. now then, if we could just get the anti-labor congressmen out of office we'd all be better off.

tulsatime

...the good people in Central States, who have faithfully and trustingly contributed their money over the past thirty years, will be drawing around $3000 a month MINUS THE INCREASED INSURANCE PREMIUMS, your all-knowing el-Presidente (J.P. Hoffa) is pulling in just below $300,000 a year,,, that’s on the books. Gee….wonder how his pension is doing? Keegel….$281,976 Good ole “Jack” Cipriani from the Raleigh district you speak of….$158,216. Mr hall…..$141,267.
Nospin:cool:
Sit and spin, spin, spin. What do the salaries of the leaders of one of the nation's largest union have to do with the funding of CS? Nothing.

If anything these guys should be applauded for the headway they are making in turning the union around from the old (bad) Carey days. Now we have a strike fund, a general fund that's in the black, financial accountability and a focus on growth -- building union power by organizing more workers.

...the success of the union relies on the participation of the people it represents.

I couldn't agree more. And that success is only hampered when groups like APWA and TDU provide material to employers who want tear us down. Or turn off their fellow workers with their moaning and groaning just to hear themselves make noise. The union is more democratic today than its ever been. Now then if we could just get more members to the meetings to vote and participate in locals we'd all be better off.

...forced to attack the character of two good men with over 50 years combined at brown
Yeah, and if I remember correctly Carey was seen as a great UPS reformer too and he ended up stealing $1 million from the Union.

team player

The apwa are helping no one. They need to just go away. The hard working men and women at ups freight need a strong leadership to get a good contract just like those 2 feeder drivers (who started this sham of a association called the apwa) have had for over 30 yrs. If they were so unhappy at UPS and the contracts they have worked under for over 30 yrs why did they stay, I'll tell you why because they have always had it pretty dam good working under a TEAMSTER contract! Don't be fooled by these apwa guys UPS freight needs the TEAMSTERS negotiating their contract.

any122

adirondack man
No your wrong team player UPSfrieght and UPSpackage need our own union to take care of our company.Not a union that takes care of every company coast to coast.we have enough employees to support our own union so I say bring on the APWA!

wkmac

The hard working men and women at ups freight need a strong leadership to get a good contract just like those 2 feeder drivers have had for over 30 yrs.

Strong leadership and good contract for over 30 years you say! I really wonder how those like myself who've been around for all or nearly all of those 30 years really feel about that statement. Ask that question amongst the Central Stater brethren and see what answers you get! That statement alone makes you look like a moronic joke.

If they were so unhappy at UPS and the contracts they have worked under for over 30 yrs why did they stay,

Well, Well, Well, a pat management response from UPS itself so what does that say about you?

OK Hoffa, the funs over. You know you're not suppose to be posting here and even worse posing as a management person!

U

UPS FREIGHT WORKER

The only union at ups freight will be the teamsters! That apwa crap is an out an out lie! Any jerk can write a lie on a blog, but it doesn't make it true. My terminal is all set to join the teamsters once the indy master contract is written. This deal was done long ago. UPS doesn't spend 1.25 billion with out getting an agreement with the teamsters first. Think about it!?!

any122

adirondack man
The only union at ups freight will be the teamsters! That apwa crap is an out an out lie! Any jerk can write a lie on a blog, but it doesn't make it true. My terminal is all set to join the teamsters once the indy master contract is written. This deal was done long ago. UPS doesn't spend 1.25 billion with out getting an agreement with the teamsters first. Think about it!?!
Very scary if UPS oks deals or business with the teamsters on how the stockholders should spend money.I wonder what else the two CEOs of the teamsters and UPS discuss and agree on?

NYteam06

Saay - What's this I've heard about APWA meetings needing security guards? Are Eason and Skillman scared of something? Or, maybe they are just into guys with guns?

Equalizer

NYTeam06 originally said
Saay - What's this I've heard about APWA meetings needing security guards?

The security is there for the purpose of safety for everyone that attends the meetings.

Originally said by NYTeam06
Are Eason and Skillman scared of something?

I think it is beneficial, for all who attend the meetings, to be able to attend a meeting without violence or unproffesional behavior.

Unfortunately the Teamsters in K.C. last weekend, for UPSF, felt it necessary to attend the APWA meeting and be disruptive. Danny Eason was assaulted by a non UPS or UPSF employee just because he was asked to leave after starting trouble. The man who commited the crime was there for the sole purpose of being disruptive. He was accompanied by 8 or 9 more Teamsters that were also there for no other purpose except to cause trouble. The man who assaulted Mr. Eason was driven away in the back of a police car as he should have been.

So when you ask " are they scared" I would say no, just cautious. The security is there for the safety of everyone who attends. It's very unfortunate that security is needed at all. I thought the days of harrassment and intimidation from the IBT was supposed to be gone. By evidence of what happened Oct. 1st in K.C. those days have clearly not arrived yet. There was a positive from it all though. The Teamsters have, yet once again, shown everyone who they still are.

Equalizer

southerngrits

UPSFreight Greenville SC
They would have been taking me away in a police car if one of those low life thugs assaulted me... I don't play those games, you put your hands on me and I'll break every finger you have...

Thats why I have no use for the teamsters....

not all teamsters are bad, but the thugs always ruin it for the good guys...

NYteam06

Who else besides Coleman (the lawyer) and Eason and Skillman are on the executive committee of APWA? The website is sort of incomplete. And, can we get a list of upcoming meetings posted on it?

nospinzone

Who else besides Coleman (the lawyer) and Eason and Skillman are on the executive committee of APWA? The website is sort of incomplete.

Tom Coleman has no official position within the APWA. He is an independent labor lawyer who APWA has contracted for the sole purpose of removing the Teamsters and replacing them with the APWA. Once a certification vote is complete, Tom Coleman's services will no longer be needed and that business relationship will be severed.

Specifics on the executive board of directors can be discussed with either Van or Danny. Feel free to contact them by email found on the website. Speaking in generalities, the board will have 20 voting members comprised by the following:

• President--Van Skillman
  • Sr. Vice-President---Danny Eason
  • 3 Vice-presidents
  • 1 Secretary
  • Treasurer
  • 13 regional managers
Contact Danny or Van to learn more about the NY regional manager position. (I assume thats where you are)
And, can we get a list of upcoming meetings posted on it
Announcing upcoming meetings on the website would be the most convenient method. However, this would also tip off every Teamster to the specifics of the meetings, and as evident by the events this past weekend in Kansas City, Teamsters choose intimidation and violence as their means of influence when they reach a point of desparation. Therefore, meeting details are dissiminated on a local, grassroots approach. Contact Van or Danny personally about upcoming meetings in your area.