Are 13 to 14 hour days worthy of a NO vote?

If 70 hour work weeks are not eliminated will you vote NO?

• All forced 60+ hour weeks must be eliminated even during peak

Votes: 72 73.5%
  • I am OK with being forced to work 70 hours a week

Votes: 10 10.2%
  • I am not a package car driver

Votes: 16 16.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dhydratd

You can't hire enough drivers or get enough vehicles for a couple of weeks out of the year
How many years has UPS been in service? How many peak seasons? I've driven 30 peak seasons so far and the last one was the first to force 70 hours.
UPS got the job done all those other years without forcing 70.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Yes.. there’s no 8 hours or 9.5 list during the holidays.....and those HOS should be used for Semi truck drivers only!!! Package delivery is a whole other beast and is much more labor intensive so the HOS should be lowered for these jobs....letter carriers, FedEx, ups, DHL, etc...
When I was hauling tomatoes , all the hauls were within 100 miles of the cannery so there were NO HOS regs. Maybe that has changed but there were a lot of wrecks.

I agree that the HOS should be lowered for package guys. Perhaps 12 hours total per day with 12 hours off.

Actually you had to be blind not to see this coming. With FedEx and USPS extending their hours , UPS had to follow suit. About 15 years ago the District manager in Sacramento told me that UPS's goal was to have every feeder driver working the max per week or 60 hours a week. She said it was cheaper to have 2 feeder drivers working a total of 120 hours rather than have 3 drivers working 40 hrs per week. Workman's comp. and other per employee costs being factored. It made sense and they have gradually made it happen in feeder.

Now , it's packages turn to max out. With the feds backing UPS on this the Teamsters are going to have to draw a line in the sand . It's actually probably better safety wise to cut back hours and save the company money in the long run. However I think the bean counters have already figured out the break even point just like actuaries do for insurance companies.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
I do wish we had a helper to open / close doors and our landing gear up/ down ,, that would realeve a lot of stress !! Maybe this contract
ya. in feeder they should also have valet service so you don't have to look for your tractor and/or put it away. I usually filed a grievance if i got dirty or broke out in a sweat.

Box Ox

I do wish we had a helper to open / close doors and our landing gear up/ down ,, that would realeve a lot of stress !! Maybe this contract

It'd probably be heartbreaking to watch a feeder driver trying to do either with a big feeder gut center of gravity.

(Cues the sad music Sarah McLachlan help a feeder driver ad)

"Every hour
A feeder driver has to open or close a door
Or put landing gear up or down"

(One by one close-ups of big gut feeder drivers looking really sad as depressing captions about their lives pop up every couple frames)

(Cue a sitting Sarah McLachlan petting a feeder driver on the sad story couch)

"Hi, I'm Sarah McLachlan. Please say you'll be the answer for an innocent feeder driver who's winded right now. A feeder driver who needs your minimal physical help. For just 18 minutes per week, you'll rescue a feeder driver from overexertion.

Please call now to receive this beautiful tote bag full of cheeseburgers."

(Camera pans back out with more sad feeder drivers being petted as the number to call to save a feeder driver today remains on screen)

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
This last peak season many centers instituted a 70 hour work week.

At my location we were forced to work from 9:30 AM till 11:00-11:30 PM every day for 6 weeks. Some days would have been 11:59 PM if all lunch was taken. It worked well to reduce missed stops so the practice will be expanding to those centers who were not working 13.5 to 14 hours each night.

We were forced to work a 6th day even if we already had 68.5 hrs worked in 5 days.

If 60+ hour weeks are not eliminated by the new contract, will this single issue cause you to vote NO?
Lunch does not effect the 14 hour rule

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
You can't hire enough drivers or get enough vehicles for a couple of weeks out of the year
In another decade at the rate online shopping is increasing we could be looking at trying to double our workforce for 2 months of the year. No way that's gonna turn out well.