Are Floaters Paid More?

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
I've been a 4X10 cover driver 3 times, no extra pay, and a swing driver twice, a little extra an hour, less than a dollar. Cover drivers are considered regular couriers, swing drivers are a different classification. The catch of being a swing is when they try to bid on a courier rt they are in Priority Group 2, which makes it difficult to get out of being a swing once they have you there. The first time I became a swing was in '99, given just 30 cents an hour more and was not eligible for the general raise that year as I had already been given a "promotion" and a "raise" becoming a swing. When I transferred out to become regular courier again they took over a dollar away from me.
Brother from another mother! Same story...50 cent swing raise, no general raise (against POLICY to give two raises in same year), took $1.75 away nine years later due to "compounding" effect. Resent it to this day.

dezguy

So why do y'all call them senior couriers then?
Not sure, never asked. I have two theories though.
1.) Back when people cared about this company and the company cared about us, it was probably a desirable position, something high seniority people would want.
2.) Fancy sounding title to get low seniority people to think they're something special. I know plenty of senior couriers who's sole mission is to try to make everyone who's route they cover look bad.

Edit: It's always posted in the JCA as senior courier position so I believe that term is Canada wide.

vantexan

4x10 cover 3 times? We're you the only one who bid on the position?

That's actually how I got full time when I started, was with the company 8 months as part time and got the 4x10 cover spot because nobody wants to do it, even though I don't know why you wouldn't
A couple of times I was the most senior who wanted it. One time I transferred and was told my position was a 4X10 cover AFTER I signed the offer letter. Nothing in posting notes or offer letter about it. I wanted that area to be near family, but used what they did to eventually transfer out of there. They were so worried I would file a GFT that they let me go with no hassle.

BigTex61

At my station, a floater is someone that covers 4×10 routes on their day off. They "cover" the same 5 routes every week. They get no more money for this.

AutoDG

At BVY, the'y're floaters. And it's not a positive thing to be. Pay is less then $1.00 hour difference compared to us couriers.

Purplepackage

At BVY, the'y're floaters. And it's not a positive thing to be. Pay is less then $1.00 hour difference compared to us couriers.

So how does your station even get people to bid on a floater spot if they are going to take a dollar from them?

At my station when the floater bid goes up it doesn't really matter who bids on it because like most positions the managers already know who they are giving it too

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
So how does your station even get people to bid on a floater spot if they are going to take a dollar from them?

At my station when the floater bid goes up it doesn't really matter who bids on it because like most positions the managers already know who they are giving it too

I think he means it's a difference of almost a dollar MORE.

The reason managers know who they're giving it to is because no one fights for it. There is policy in place. Make sure to hold mgmt accountable to it, or you get what you get.

big idea

I saw an ad yesterday from Express seeking floater drivers for just under $19 an hour. This is for the BVY station in Boston, which handles 20,000 pieces a day.

I'm a pt courier just north of Boston and my rate will increase next month to just barely over $18.

Do floaters earn more? Within the same district, do the pay rates differ by location?
Oh good this is a serious thread.I would hate to hear what Westcoast HD (taking massive stinkies in the truck) would say about floaters.

whenIgetthere

I saw an ad yesterday from Express seeking floater drivers for just under $19 an hour. This is for the BVY station in Boston, which handles 20,000 pieces a day.

I'm a pt courier just north of Boston and my rate will increase next month to just barely over $18.

Do floaters earn more? Within the same district, do the pay rates differ by location?

In your pay level, they get an extra dollar per hour, plus another 30 cent per hour. In my pay level, floaters only get 67 cents plus the 30 extra per hour.

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
over at the HD side, it all depends on the subcontractor of the route i'm "floating to"

some of the routes are cake, so they'll pay by-the-stop, but will still flex some stops off so i won't be set up to fail. some routes have "runner gunners" but i already told those contractors that i will not do shortcuts~ like not wearing a seatbelt or driving with the bulkhead open or using a smartphone while driving...or speeding to get the job done.

i will skip lunch & pee in a bottle, but that's where i'll end my runner gunner ways

others are rural & may have to flex some stops over to a neighboring route so i won't be out there all night. this case, i'll be paid a salary day w/ bonus stop pay if i get over 90 stops (it's a 200+ mile trip on some of them)

l22

i will skip lunch

My god, why? You're from Ground, but jesus, no one should be skipping their lunch, running, keeping packages in the front, keeping the bulkhead door open, speeding, driving without a seatbelt. People in this business tolerate too much crap and allow the pressure put on them by managers, contractors, coworkers, etc. to put them in a mental state where they the courier decide to take unsafe actions such as the ones I just mentioned only to make service/performance demands. If any unsafe action you take results in an accident, it will be your ass (hopefully not your life). friend* that. Look after yourself for yourself because in this business no one else will care if you do or not.

Last edited:

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
l22, i only eat light snacks during the day and on-the-go / between stops ~ there's no way that i'll run into doing #2 in the cargo area of my package car! Peeing in the bottle is a given though

i'm not doing the other "runner/gunner" stuff that you mentioned & that's what i've stated to some of those sleazy contractors that care only for bricking out their routes for maximum profit at the cost of the courier's safety