Are part-time employees in the union funding the FT pension fund?

SameRightsForAll

My question are simple... but I'll let the known clowns on this site have first dibs at making jokes.

What % of the IBT pension plan are part-time union members funding with their dues?? Do non-union part-time workers get the same union protection at zero cost?

542thruNthru

My question are simple... but I'll let the known clowns on this site have first dibs at making jokes.

What % of the IBT pension plan are part-time union members funding with their dues?? Do non-union part-time workers get the same union protection at zero cost?

Depends on the region. I believe PT employees are part of a UPS pension fund in some areas.

Non-union part time scabs get the same protection but can not vote on anything union related. Though as some have pointed out its easy for a BA to do the bare minimum for a non dues paying member.

JJinVA

You didn't read my post, did you. My second sentence is basically asking what financial benefit does a PT union member get by paying dues.

I dont know that they get any additional financial benefit than a non-union PTer. The only thing I was told when I asked about joining the union as a PTer was that it didnt really matter if I joined or not, the union would represent me if I got fired because I was a bust a** employee. And that other ppl who no-call no-show all the time didnt matter if they joined or not because the union would let them fall on their own face for being so unreliable and didnt have a leg to stand on. So I didnt bother joining until I started driving.

SameRightsForAll

Depends on the region. I believe PT employees are part of a UPS pension fund in some areas.

Non-union part time scabs get the same protection but can not vote on anything union related. Though as some have pointed out its easy for a BA to do the bare minimum for a non dues paying member.

I know part-time workers are on the UPS pension plan, but are funding the FT worker's plan?

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
You might want to use the "Search" engine on Brown Cafe. It is on the top left side on a banner line...

Fuzzy Brown

I’ve seen more than one scab get surprised when the Union wouldn’t go to the mat for them.
It’s very satisfying to see.

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
I know part-time workers are on the UPS pension plan, but are funding the FT worker's plan?

I am presuming that you are in the central or southern conferences and participate as a part time employee with UPS...You are under again the "UPS Pension Plan", it is a company controlled defined pension plan that has been in existence since l973. It takes 5 years vesting in order to qualify for a benefit once you reach the age of 65 (look under Aricle 34 master in your recent contract book for the details).

Full time is separate from your part time service, so if you retire under both plans you will get two checks ..One under the IBT/UPS Pension plan and the other from your part time years of service under the "UPS Pension Plan". The Central States formula will not apply to you since you were hired way after 2007, so ignore that wording...

To answer your question as to whether the part timers are paying into the full timer's pension is "NO"...Totally separate..I believe that roughly the Company has to provide around 500 dollars a week for every full time employee according to contractual lanuage, whether that applies to the IBT/UPS Pension Plan is subject to clarification since it is a "defined benefit plan" as is the UPS Pension Plan for part timers also.

The Union controlled Peer 80 (multi-state) pension plan in the Western is considered a "monetary contribution plan" and is governed by Article 34 master, part timers are participating into that plan the same as full timers and the companies under the collective bargaining agreements have to monetary contribute a set amount weekly. The same monetary contributions also applies under our individual Health and Welfare plans, again about roughly 500 dollars per full time and 350 dollar per part time weekly....