Are UPS Drivers Living paycheck-to-paycheck?

MostHelpNeeded

Yes, they are rent because if you don't pay them you will, essentially, be evicted.
Why is this so difficult to understand?
Right, the government/country truly "owns" all the land. We're just allowed to live there if we're good citizens, pay our taxes and conform. Fail to do any of that, and you'll find out real quick just who owns what.

PASinterference

Yes, I know I'm working late.
Yes, they are rent because if you don't pay them you will, essentially, be evicted.
Why is this so difficult to understand?
So, you're renting your car when you pay for the tag? Do you rent the hamburger that you pay sales tax on? Again, taxes are not rent. Taxes pay for upkeep on state and county property. It is not rent. If you want to call it rent to proclaim everybody as renters to make you feel better, knock yourself out then. Dont forget to vote for Nancy next term.

trickpony1

So, you're renting your car when you pay for the tag? Do you rent the hamburger that you pay sales tax on? Again, taxes are not rent. Taxes pay for upkeep on state and county property. It is not rent. If you want to call it rent to proclaim everybody as renters to make you feel better, knock yourself out then. Dont forget to vote for Nancy next term.
If your tag is not "in date" they can fine you and/or impound the car so, yes, you are, in essence, renting it.
I can't speak on the hamburger. These are two distinct subjects.

None of this makes me feel better, in fact I am saddened that you don't understand such simple concepts.

Vote for Nancy and/or any of her democratic homies?
Not gonna happen.

takesteady

In theory, you pay your landlord for the upkeep of the property. I don't see a huge difference. Plus even if you pay your taxes on time like a good citizen, the government can still arbitrarily evict you through eminent domain ( and in some states, give it to a private company) and there's absolutely nothing you can do about it. If someone can just take your property away from you whenever they want, I dont see how that's 'ownership' in any meaningful sense of the word, but if you want to maintain that delusion go for it.

takesteady

I already pay my federal, state, and local taxes every year so the government can continue functioning. Why should I pay another tax for the privilege of living in my own house? It's a racket and it should be clear to everyone.

PT Car Washer

I already pay my federal, state, and local taxes every year so the government can continue functioning. Why should I pay another tax for privilege of living in my own house? It's a racket and it should be clear to everyone.
You don't. Move to somewhere that does not have taxes. Freedom brother.

Thebrownblob

I already pay my federal, state, and local taxes every year so the government can continue functioning. Why should I pay another tax for privilege of living in my own house? It's a racket and it should be clear to everyone.
I kind of always thought most people thought that but maybe not.

Over70irregs

Thought she was gone? Oops maybe Nancy Drew..

johnnyunion

the grandpalooza of all you losers
I know feeder drivers who rely on that prepaid week before vacation to actually have some cash during that vacation.

you should see how they look on the Friday after vacation when after 5 days of work, their bank accounts are not credited.

Driver7906

I’ve known drivers who’ve lived paycheck to paycheck. It was always by their own doing. Taking many unpaid days off, living beyond their means, gambling, etc. Just bad money management.

PT Car Washer

I’ve known drivers who’ve lived paycheck to paycheck. It was always by their own doing. Taking many unpaid days off, living beyond their means, gambling, etc. Just bad money management.
Definitely gambling has been the financial downfall of many Teamsters. Don't tell me about how much money you won last night, how much have you lost this year.

Cowboy Mac

In theory, you pay your landlord for the upkeep of the property. I don't see a huge difference. Plus even if you pay your taxes on time like a good citizen, the government can still arbitrarily evict you through eminent domain ( and in some states, give it to a private company) and there's absolutely nothing you can do about it. If someone can just take your property away from you whenever they want, I dont see how that's 'ownership' in any meaningful sense of the word, but if you want to maintain that delusion go for it.
I agree that property taxes are basically paying rent to the government. It is an unjust tax that I believe is unconstitutional. The chances of your land being taken away through eminent domain are very slim though.

Overall, I would say it is still smarter financially to buy property or house vs renting one, as long as you are financially ready to buy. A house is an appreciating asset as long as you take care of it. And renting long term will cost much more than if you were to buy, despite property taxes.

Trucker Clock

Yrs ago, in feeders, when we still got paper checks on Fri, they were usually delivered to the office Thur afternoon. Several drivers with night runs would interupt their sleep to run down and pick it up so they could, possibly, deposit it then or as early Fri morn as possible.
Still fairly new, at the time, I just didn't get it.

I used to have 5 or 6 paychecks laying on my desk before I bothered to make a trip to the bank.

Trucker Clock

I remember getting an extra week of vacation pay somewhere back then. Kept my mouth shut and they never came back asking for it.

I did that too once. Although I did the right thing and gave them the check back. Still was getting paper checks.

A few years later, I happened to check missingmoney.com, and there was the $800 paycheck. Filled out the paperwork and got the money.