Are UPS Drivers Living paycheck-to-paycheck?

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
From outward appearances it seems so. It seen every young couple now days just has to have 2 new vehicles and a new house. Throw in a boat and a $25,000 + sided by side ATV and don't forget the $100,000 student loan they are paying on to cover what they majored in in college that they aren't doing now. Yes-- from outward appearances it does look like they are financially doing great but the majority of them are so far in the hole they will never be able to retire. A lot of them are just waiting until their parents die thinking they will inherit a bunch on money---and many of those will be fooled.
I'm not waiting to expire before my kids get the inheritance. Been giving both of them cash for quite a few years now and will continue to as long as we can.

Over70irregs

1663892875129.png

Whereistheunion

If you are making payments on the solar panels it makes your house much tougher to sell and it can lead to problems with increased home insurance. There are so many scammer solar companies out there signing people to crazy deals with huge balloon payments etc. etc.

The original post was talking like $500 for electricity which is insane. I live in a suburb of top 10 city by people in America (just pointing out I don't live in the middle of nowhere) and I have a 2500 foot square house and I've never hit $100 a month when I wasn't running my inflatable hot tub which costs somewhere around $60-$80 a month to keep the water at 104 but it is so worth it after a long day of work.
My system is 108.00 dollars a month, don't have battery. The typical battery loses 30% power output after 10yrs feel like the battery isn't worth it's weight in gold.

Whereistheunion

If you are making payments on the solar panels it makes your house much tougher to sell and it can lead to problems with increased home insurance. There are so many scammer solar companies out there signing people to crazy deals with huge balloon payments etc. etc.

The original post was talking like $500 for electricity which is insane. I live in a suburb of top 10 city by people in America (just pointing out I don't live in the middle of nowhere) and I have a 2500 foot square house and I've never hit $100 a month when I wasn't running my inflatable hot tub which costs somewhere around $60-$80 a month to keep the water at 104 but it is so worth it after a long day of work.
Our solar installer will move the panels to a new home in the event that we move.

Whereistheunion

Haven't had a Utility bill since June; our home is all eletric. We live in the Midwest, I don't expect much solar power through the winter; but we will enter November with $200.00 in credits.

Whereistheunion

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220923-075544_Enlighten.jpg
    Screenshot_20220923-075544_Enlighten.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 45
  • Screenshot_20220923-075526_Enlighten.jpg
    Screenshot_20220923-075526_Enlighten.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 40
  • Screenshot_20220923-075503_Enlighten.jpg
    Screenshot_20220923-075503_Enlighten.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 39

ToteHoarder

People seem to forget that part time work or non skilled work isn’t supposed to be a job that pays the bills and that you can live off. McDonald’s workers and UPSs loaders are supposed to be 18-24 year old young adults in college for extra money. Not to raise a family on.
That’s nonsense. If you are a working member of society you deserve a living wage. This is just classist propaganda spread around to make exploited labor seem normal and okay so billionaires can buy private islands planes and yachts where questionable things occur.

Thebrownblob

That’s nonsense. If you are a working member of society you deserve a living wage. This is just classist propaganda spread around to make exploited labor seem normal and okay so billionaires can buy private islands planes and yachts where questionable things occur.
I am not a fan of billionaires especially the ones who want to manipulate our lives. But No one has ever been able to pinpoint a number to “living wage”. I work with some people who make over $100,000 a year Who can’t pay their bills half the time.

ToteHoarder

I am not a fan of billionaires especially the ones who want to manipulate our lives. But No one has ever been able to pinpoint a number to “living wage”. I work with people who make over $100,000 a year Who can’t pay their bills half the time.

I won’t pretend to be an expert on the subject, I’m no economist or financial expert, but I can tell you what is true.

That is, if minimum wage kept up with inflation it would be over $20 per hour.

ThePackageDeli

I think the level of value a business brings to society through whatever product or service it provides may directly effect employee wages. And profit margins differ with every business. So, how could one ever create a "living wage" standard and apply it across all businesses and all industries? It's not classist propaganda. The data show that not all jobs are created equal. And not all businesses experience the same level of success. For that reason, not all jobs pay well enough to raise a family.

P.S. Undoubtedly, where there is man there is corruption. The larger the business, the greater potential for higher levels of corruption.

Thebrownblob

I won’t pretend to be an expert on the subject, I’m no economist or financial expert, but I can tell you what is true.

That is, if minimum wage kept up with inflation it would be over $20 per hour.
Fair enough but it would still be a minimum wage not A magical living wage.