Are you delaying retirement? How long?

Delaying retirement? If so how long?

• Yes

• No

• 1-2 years

• 3-4 years

Results are only viewable after voting.

DriverNerd

I'm saving as if I won't have a pension, so between my 401k and social security I should have enough for a decent retirement. Hopefully that means that I won't care where the pension amount is at when I retire. I'll just go when I'm ready. (edit* I'm fairly young still, 43)

Last edited:

ManInBrown

We just got home from two weeks in DR and I have 10 working days left before I retire and collect my first pension check on April 1st. My decision was made easier by having a wife that has out earned me for the majority of our marriage. I will be taking a minor role in the running of our business and working for my wife for as long as we can stand each other.
Congrats. Enjoy retirement.

PoirotAtUPS

Considering there is no COLA for our pension, it's a gamble when to go. Men in my family don't die before 90, on either side. If I were to retire at 55 and live another 35 years without a raise, how would that look? If I work until 60 instead and add another $20k/yr to my pension, is that really a bad move?
Just plain smart - - everyone should do the math. Your SS will grow as well.

How physically productive when older can you be? Every year passed up is free $. Ex 50k/yr, you stay in for 4 more years. That is passive 200k passed up?
Definitely a fair consideration, but I'd also be earning $750k during those 5 years, as well as adding $115k to my 401k. Also consider the fact that my pension would increase almost $20k/yr, so I'd recover that same $200k in the first ten years of retirement plus all the rest. For just five more years it's tempting.

And let's be honest, as a feeder driver I can almost consider my paycheck as passive income. 😂

over9five

Staff member
1708884121415.png

This wasn't meant to be funny, dammit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Commercial Inside Release

We just got home from two weeks in DR and I have 10 working days left before I retire and collect my first pension check on April 1st. My decision was made easier by having a wife that has out earned me for the majority of our marriage. I will be taking a minor role in the running of our business and working for my wife for as long as we can stand each other.
Roll up your sleeves, have half a pot of coffee in the morning while you are elbow deep in the WSJ, and give her some space. Not a bad gig, if you can get it.

Up In Smoke

Roll up your sleeves, have half a pot of coffee in the morning while you are elbow deep in the WSJ, and give her some space. Not a bad gig, if you can get it.
My retirement schedule will be.
1. 5am gym
2. 6:30am breakfast and the WSJ
3. 8:00am set the days trades
4. 9:30am markets open
5. 10:30am report to work
6. 12:00-1:00pm lunch with clients *
7. 3:00pm punch out and head home
8. 4:00pm markets close
9. 4:30pm start dinner
10. 6:00pm dinner
11. 8:30pm lights out

* Lunch may change to 9 holes of golf weather permitting.

rod

Retired 22 years
I can't imagine being home with my wife 24/7.
Honest to God, that's why I stay.
Who wears the pants in your family? Just tell her you are going fishing or hunting or to the store for some beer or out to your workshop--then disappear. That has worked for me for as long we haven't had any kids at home. I hope you aren't one of those couples who wear the same outfits and can't do anything without the other one tagging along. We have one guy who comes to our monthly "retired UPS guys" breakfast whos wife tags along eveytime. She sit there like a bump on a log bored as hell.

rod

Retired 22 years
1. 5am gym

up way too early
works too much
goes to bed too early.

Sounds like a BORING life to me. We had a guy retire and thought he would become a day trader. He damn near wiped out his retirement savings investing in what he though were Sure Things.

Up In Smoke

up way too early
works too much
goes to bed too early.

Sounds like a BORING life to me. We had a guy retire and thought he would become a day trader. He damn near wiped out his retirement savings investing in what he though were Sure Things.
I've been self managing our retirement for more than 25 years with good success. My wife travels for our business and we have pets at home to care for. I'm a gym rat and health nut who eats right and gets plenty of sleep. We have retirement land in eastern Tennessee and have traveled 5-7 weeks a year while I was working. Owning a business means we can never completely unplug until we sell and fully retire. My wife is 52 and plans to work until I turn 60 or until we have grandchildren.

ManInBrown

Considering there is no COLA for our pension, it's a gamble when to go. Men in my family don't die before 90, on either side. If I were to retire at 55 and live another 35 years without a raise, how would that look? If I work until 60 instead and add another $20k/yr to my pension, is that really a bad move?
What local? You get $1666 pension bumps every five years?

dudebro

1. 5am gym

The old UPSers always told me: "Purpose, schedule, structure!" Looks like you have that nailed down.

Up In Smoke

The old UPSers always told me: "Purpose, schedule, structure!" Looks like you have that nailed down.
I'm very structured. My wife and I set schedules and "to do" lists for work weeks, while weekends and vacations are more impulsive. 2013-2021 I only worked 1400 hrs a year while traveling the country following our kids college athletic teams play. In 2022 the company tighten attendance policies and I worked more than 2300 hrs and I hated it. We sat down and looked at everything and determined that 2023 would be my last full work year. Taking work from my wife's plate was part of the decision making process.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
I been eligible for full retirement for 10 years. But dangit i just love being part of the rat race and the pride of still taking that really unneeded paycheck to the bank. In my disturbed mind retirement kinda equates on giving up on life and with 7 weeks paid vacation, thats plenty of time off.
Damn bro , You’ve been institutionalized. Just like somebody outta prison can’t figure it out without somebody tellin you what to do
I feel sorry for ya