Delaying retirement? If so how long?

• Yes

• No

• 1-2 years

• 3-4 years

Results are only viewable after voting.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Who wears the pants in your family? Just tell her you are going fishing or hunting or to the store for some beer or out to your workshop--then disappear. That has worked for me for as long we haven't had any kids at home. I hope you aren't one of those couples who wear the same outfits and can't do anything without the other one tagging along. We have one guy who comes to our monthly "retired UPS guys" breakfast whos wife tags along eveytime. She sit there like a bump on a log bored as hell.

The old UPSers always told me: "Purpose, schedule, structure!" Looks like you have that nailed down.
O

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
I been eligible for full retirement for 10 years. But dangit i just love being part of the rat race and the pride of still taking that really unneeded paycheck to the bank. In my disturbed mind retirement kinda equates on giving up on life and with 7 weeks paid vacation, thats plenty of time off.
I got 52 weeks off a year and it still isn't enough. At least I get an extra day this year.

PreTrippin’

Getting drunk and falling down
Considering there is no COLA for our pension, it's a gamble when to go. Men in my family don't die before 90, on either side. If I were to retire at 55 and live another 35 years without a raise, how would that look? If I work until 60 instead and add another $20k/yr to my pension, is that really a bad move?
Yes.

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier

Companies and Corporations have a mandate now: “Get rid of any traditional defined pension trusts”.

The costs associated with them are rising with no relief in the future.

These corporation executives and board members have the green light from Washington and the DOL and its associated branches are powerless or unwilling to intervene.

They will raise the hourly rates but only at the cost of eliminating any increases in their employees pension or health and welfare contributions.

Our future generations will only be retiring with SS, savings and any 401K contributions period…

They will have to work well into their 70’s or longer…

Companies and Corporations have a mandate now: “Get rid of any traditional defined pension trusts”.

These corporation executives and board members have the green light from Washington and the DOL and its associated branches are powerless or unwilling to intervene.

They will raise the hourly rates but only at the cost of eliminating any increases in their employees pension or health and welfare contributions.

Our future generations will only be retiring with SS, savings and any 401K contributions period…

That's why I keep telling my kids to save more now while they're young

Up In Smoke

We've had forums that ask for the pension to be eliminated and replaced with a company match 401K. The argument most used is that the 401K can be passed along after your death. I've found that a term life insurance policy can replace the loss of pension at a reasonable cost.

We've had forums that ask for the pension to be eliminated and replaced with a company match 401K. The argument most used is that the 401K can be passed along after your death. I've found that a term life insurance policy can replace the loss of pension at a reasonable cost.
The company would have to match 125% for me to get the same contributions, assuming I max out my 401k every year. I would also be sacrificing (for the moment) 20% of my income to get that contribution when at current I don't have to contribute anything if I don't want to, and I still have a retirement.

Last edited:

DELACROIX

The only work group that this is feasible would be the part timers under he Central and Southern. No way will the Teamster’s negotiate out of their “monetary contribution pension plans “ like the Western, all their part timers’ vesting credits are under Peer 84/Peer 80. I am expecting by 2028 their benefit levels will be at 300 dollars per service level..

clean hairy

There is couple my Parents know, prudent with money, and quite a nest egg from smart investing.
When he retired, his pension was enough to make a house payment. Today, it will barely buy some groceries.
His Wife got quite ill and required around the clock care, depleting the $ at a much more than projected rate.
He will run out of money late this year.
He has a Son who is well off from selling his business and will be able to cover the living expenses.
You never know what circumstances could throw a planned retirement into turmoil, regardless how much $ you think you need!

DELACROIX

There is couple my Parents know, prudent with money, and quite a nest egg from smart investing.
When he retired, his pension was enough to make a house payment. Today, it will barely buy some groceries.
His Wife got quite ill and required around the clock care, depleting the $ at a much more than projected rate.
He will run out of money late this year.
He has a Son who is well off from selling his business and will be able to cover the living expenses.
You never know what circumstances could throw a planned retirement into turmoil, regardless how much $ you think you need!

The truth is nobody wins at the end, no matter how much capital you have accumulated over the years. The only guarantee is a six foot plot of real estate or end up in a jar over the fireplace. Anyone who thinks differently is living in a fantasy, live for today and keep your family together..👍

Jetboat1

How many people that you know from high school have passed away? Tomorrow is promised to no one. Once the UPS pension is earned i.e. 25 years its time to retire! Bigger house nicer car? Why. Unless you enjoy the job more than not working.