ask an IE anything

DriverNerd

93% of routes at 89% effective to ODO trace, so 83% of all stops

pretty good considering 10% of the country is just window dressing already
89% is not following ORION. It may seem like it for someone who doesn't drive, but it's the opposite. During peak, routes get much tighter with more stops per street. A trace break only occurs when someone delivers another street out of order. So if you have 100 stops on 10 different streets and you choose to do ORION in reverse, breaking trace as many times as you can, you'll still be at 90%. To get a lower percentage than that, you'd have to leave the street you're on halfway through it to do another and come back later to finish it. Randomly doing that is padding miles and stealing time.

89% is not following ORION. It may seem like it for someone who doesn't drive, but it's the opposite. During peak, routes get much tighter with more stops per street. A trace break only occurs when someone delivers another street out of order. So if you have 100 stops on 10 different streets and you choose to do ORION in reverse, breaking trace as many times as you can, you'll still be at 90%. To get a lower percentage than that, you'd have to leave the street you're on halfway through it to do another and come back later to finish it. Randomly doing that is padding miles and stealing time.
that is still following ORION as at the street level it's just using RDO anyways

Ou812fu

Polishing toilet bowls since 1966.
That is not how it is being manipulated.
Really not that hard to figure out. Like the tin can said. If I only had a brain.

Ou812fu

Polishing toilet bowls since 1966.
Again if everyone had some balls. And we all followed that program 100%. The program would have been shut off already. Quit fixing their extremely flawed program that a few want to repeat that is so successful. Grow a pair.

Again if everyone had some balls. And we all followed that program 100%. The program would have been shut off already. Quit fixing their extremely flawed program that a few want to repeat that is so successful. Grow a pair.
if everyone followed it 100% it would actually get fixed because all the map flaws would be exposed for the PDS to see and correct

so yes please do this

Thebrownblob

No one has said anything about Orion where I am since probably before Covid.🤷‍♂️
The last conversation I remember having about it I was told I needed to follow it 89% and only so many trace brakes blah blah blah. I informed Center Manager at the time that it would either be 100% or my way because I don’t know what 89% is as I’m just a dumb truck driver. Nothing else was ever said about it again.

dudebro

From a technical perspective, it's mostly the radio hardware that you can't get around.

Building an embedded system stack that can do everything that the diad can wouldn't be a huge deal for someone as big as UPS.
But in order to have it have wireless capabilities, you're going to essentially need a preexisting OS that Qualcomm, Samsung, and the other cellular chip makers have provided support for.

It's very secretive, and even on open platforms, support is generally provided by the manufacturers in the forms of compiled "blobs". This is why even Linux based platforms could be subjected to government or other entity backdoors.

Long story short, it's way easier to piggyback off of Android and let other massive companies pay for all the platform development, while they only need to focus on a single app.
This is exactly right. Also, as we change from proprietary to Android, building the IT group capabilities to create more reliable features in Android will take any large organization years.

JustDeliverIt

if everyone followed it 100% it would actually get fixed because all the map flaws would be exposed for the PDS to see and correct

so yes please do this

I was told I was paid over all the time on the route I’m on when I bid it last year. Started running it the right way and suddenly was +/- .15 almost every day, working the exact same way but working logically through the truck.

Just before peak I was told my Orion was in the low 70’s, need it up to at least 90. So I ran it 100%, never varied unless it would have caused late air. Lasted 2 weeks, over allowed was hour plus every day, was told to go back to my way.

Moral of the story, local management doesn’t care as long as production numbers are hit. And because of that they will never fix it. They can always hide a few 70’s and 80’s if a lot of people are around 90.

I was told I was paid over all the time on the route I’m on when I bid it last year. Started running it the right way and suddenly was +/- .15 almost every day, working the exact same way but working logically through the truck.

Just before peak I was told my Orion was in the low 70’s, need it up to at least 90. So I ran it 100%, never varied unless it would have caused late air. Lasted 2 weeks, over allowed was hour plus every day, was told to go back to my way.

Moral of the story, local management doesn’t care as long as production numbers are hit. And because of that they will never fix it. They can always hide a few 70’s and 80’s if a lot of people are around 90.
change doesn't happen in a day