ask an IE anything

Commercial Inside Release

a gigantic rube who believed your manager hook line and sinker
This is why it is a good thing for you to hang out here and spill your guts. Drivers are isolated, kept in the dark, and lied to with impunity. ITS OBVIOUS management is blaming everything on IE and treating every driver that can stick out their tongue, to a big, fat poison pill.

You see, the drivers don't spend all day riding a chair, and scheming like management does. Every minute of every day is planned for the driver, so they don't have the time or opportunity to investigate or orchestrate some big inquisition. And, when you throw in their *hitty hours, (generally busy from 8:30-19:30,) the drivers are never going to know who is the *hithead screwing them over.

Commercial Inside Release

I always doubted the B-S from management, blaming IE.

Once you know your center manager, you can tell when the * weirdo is lying... But, it doesn't get you any closer to uncovering the truth. Unless you want to be one of those losers that work 10-12hrs, and then hang around the office for another 2-3hrs.

Last edited by a moderator:

I have NOT been lurking

Degenerate Member
1703869642936146.jpg

DOK

I was told I was paid over all the time on the route I’m on when I bid it last year. Started running it the right way and suddenly was +/- .15 almost every day, working the exact same way but working logically through the truck.

Just before peak I was told my Orion was in the low 70’s, need it up to at least 90. So I ran it 100%, never varied unless it would have caused late air. Lasted 2 weeks, over allowed was hour plus every day, was told to go back to my way.

Moral of the story, local management doesn’t care as long as production numbers are hit. And because of that they will never fix it. They can always hide a few 70’s and 80’s if a lot of people are around 90.
They do that to a few guys where I’m at, it only lasts a couple of weeks before they tell them to going back to doing their way

Analbumcover

ControlPkgs
Costing $250 million to build and deploy, ORION is expected to save UPS $300 to $400 million annually. By building efficient routes and reducing the miles driven and fuel consumption, ORION contributes to UPS’s sustainability efforts by reducing 100,000 metric tons of greenhouse gas emissions.

Motivated by a perfectionist view, the ORION project is the result of a long-term operational technology investment and commitment by UPS. ORION was more than a decade in the making from the initial development of the algorithm to full deployment to nearly 55,000 routes in North America. 2013 marked the first major ORION deployment by a team of 500 dedicated resources to roll out ORION to 10,000 UPS routes. As results exceeded expectations, UPS sped up the U.S. deployment and completed it by the fall of 2016.

Today, ORION can solve an individual route in seconds and is constantly running in the background evaluating routes before drivers even leave the facility. This level of route evaluation conducted through the ORION program requires extensive hardware and architectural provisions. Running on a bank of servers in Mahwah, New Jersey, ORION is constantly evaluating the best way for a route to run based on real-time information. While most of America is sleeping, ORION is solving tens of thousands of route optimizations per minute. In addition to architectural enhancements, the driver’s delivery information acquisition device (DIAD) is enhanced to serve as the tool for communicating optimized routes to drivers while on the road (Paterson, 2018).

View attachment 461249

Why did ORION want me to break route, deliver 5 residential stops in a different subdivision with no commits, then return to my business loop? It will forever be a mystery.

542thruNthru

From a technical perspective, it's mostly the radio hardware that you can't get around.

Building an embedded system stack that can do everything that the diad can wouldn't be a huge deal for someone as big as UPS.
But in order to have it have wireless capabilities, you're going to essentially need a preexisting OS that Qualcomm, Samsung, and the other cellular chip makers have provided support for.

It's very secretive, and even on open platforms, support is generally provided by the manufacturers in the forms of compiled "blobs". This is why even Linux based platforms could be subjected to government or other entity backdoors.

Long story short, it's way easier to piggyback off of Android and let other massive companies pay for all the platform development, while they only need to focus on a single app.
Geezus! Now I know why you've never been laid!!

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
On one of my routes I had a business that closed at 2:00 on the other side of town that I often just made by the skin of my teeth but was often too late before they closed. Breaking away earlier just for them would have been a ridiculous, time-wasting endeavor. Another route drove right past them in the morning on the way to their area. I told management several times about moving that stop to the other route to no avail and eventually gave up since I knew I was leaving soon anyway and didn't care anymore. Why is getting such reasonable changes done worse than pulling teeth?

PPH_over_9000

On one of my routes I had a business that closed at 2:00 on the other side of town that I often just made by the skin of my teeth but was often too late before they closed. Breaking away earlier just for them would have been a ridiculous, time-wasting endeavor. Another route drove right past them in the morning on the way to their area. I told management several times about moving that stop to the other route to no avail and eventually gave up since I knew I was leaving soon anyway and didn't care anymore. Why is getting such reasonable changes done worse than pulling teeth?

Because the reasonable change you suggested up-ended the driver you tried to put it on, and management anticipated the argument and called an audible.

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
somethings wrong with the underlying DOL and ORION parameters weren't set loose enough to ignore it
My Orion has been all over the place with its accuracy since its launch in my building. I was one of a few drivers who actually had a ride a long with one of the top managers involved in its development. Interesting fact that was shared is that it was days away from being shelved completely. Couldn’t get the algorithm to work well enough to keep it. Apparently they couldn’t get the routes to run ground, air, and pickups in an efficient manner. They got it to work by laying ground deliveries over the commits, guess they were using our ground deliveries as the base then plugging in air. Anyways my problem with it is the system seems to run on a time frame of driver X. Too fast for some, too slow for others and just right for the ones left. Can they fix that, have the program learn the driver and produce an algorithm that better represents them.

542thruNthru

You knew you were getting fired?

because

Pullman Brown

so the problem with this statement is IE fundamentally is a support structure, it doesn't actually make directional decisions for the company and never has (IE was never given reins to anything, this is a total myth [the idea of any one function having "reins" to a company is ludicrous])

directional decisions mostly come from finance or marketing, with IE providing the planning backbone (willingly or otherwise) to those directions
as a support structure, yeah i would say IE knows what its doing maybe 90-95% of the time

yes it's a great technology implemented on a poor organization

no, they just listen to their direct sups for who to blame, which is total insanity considering the rest of the time they complain those sups are idiots

hell no, not even close but way better than Abney

Who was too blame for 2013- 2 million Christmas packages late? Abney? How about 2018 when the 70 hour change happened? Good grief!! Anybody loose their job over that nightmare?

My Orion has been all over the place with its accuracy since its launch in my building. I was one of a few drivers who actually had a ride a long with one of the top managers involved in its development. Interesting fact that was shared is that it was days away from being shelved completely. Couldn’t get the algorithm to work well enough to keep it. Apparently they couldn’t get the routes to run ground, air, and pickups in an efficient manner. They got it to work by laying ground deliveries over the commits, guess they were using our ground deliveries as the base then plugging in air. Anyways my problem with it is the system seems to run on a time frame of driver X. Too fast for some, too slow for others and just right for the ones left. Can they fix that, have the program learn the driver and produce an algorithm that better represents them.
in theory that's what using the center planning tool is for, adjust the work to the driver

in reality the company like society want to mold everyone into robots that do what they're told and have zero autonomy, so crafting custom solutions like that runs counter to their philosophy