Asked to sign in order to pick up package

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I'm not the one that scans early AM's when I'm not at the customers location .

Name calling, that's all you got?
Very weak. You are nothing but the Brown Cafe joke.

(Read this as if you are a robot)

"I AM A TEAMSTER. I AM NOT REQUIRED TO SIGN ANYTHING BUT MY PAYCHECK. I HAVE A FALSE SENSE OF ENTITLEMENT FOR A JOB WHICH REQUIRES ONLY A DRIVERS LICENSE AND THE ABILITY TO LIFT HEAVY BOXES."

Just curious, what if you are asked to sign in before entering a secured area when making a delivery? Do you refuse to do that as well?

The simple fact is that it is much better to choose your battles wisely. Refusing to sign when picking up a package is not a battle I consider worth fighting.

You are the Brown Cafe joke. 103K posts on an anonymous Internet chat forum. Think about that for a second. What an amazing waste of time.

For the longest time I thought Moreluck was the biggest joke on this forum, which is ironic because in her thread "Jokes" the jokes are anything but funny. You are now the biggest joke on this forum. Congrats.

Do us all a big favor and stay in Romper Room. You and the other Fluffers can spend half your mornings saying "hi" to one another only to do it again that very evening. You know it's sad when Rod thinks that all of this "good morning" and "good evening" crap is pathetic.

(Read this as if you are a robot)

"I AM A TEAMSTER. I AM NOT REQUIRED TO SIGN ANYTHING BUT MY PAYCHECK. I HAVE A FALSE SENSE OF ENTITLEMENT FOR A JOB WHICH REQUIRES ONLY A DRIVERS LICENSE AND THE ABILITY TO LIFT HEAVY BOXES."

Just curious, what if you are asked to sign in before entering a secured area when making a delivery? Do you refuse to do that as well?

The simple fact is that it is much better to choose your battles wisely. Refusing to sign when picking up a package is not a battle I consider worth fighting.

You are the Brown Cafe joke. 103K posts on an anonymous Internet chat forum. Think about that for a second. What an amazing waste of time.

For the longest time I thought Moreluck was the biggest joke on this forum, which is ironic because in her thread "Jokes" the jokes are anything but funny. You are now the biggest joke on this forum. Congrats.

Do us all a big favor and stay in Romper Room. You and the other Fluffers can spend half your mornings saying "hi" to one another only to do it again that very evening. You know it's sad when Rod thinks that all of this "good morning" and "good evening" crap is pathetic.
No need for me to sign any additional paperwork. You do as you please,as you always post.

As far as the amount of posts I have. I'm having fun,trynit sometime.

And don't ever tell me where to post
GOT IT!

YOUR DAYS OF TERROR ARE OVER HERE!!!

BoxStomper69

Goldmember
True. I have a couple places like that. Sometimes, the more apt you are to go by their routine, the quicker they are to sign for your box and get you out of there. They remember the drivers who don't give them any grief.

outtatime

We are not required to sign any additional paperwork. And I wouldn't sign it either.
Try that at any of the shipping docks of a major auto company here and you'd find yourself in your managers office the next day. The auto companies REQUIRE a signature on the shipper of EVERY package that leaves their facility. It merely shows you picked up the package, not personally responsible for it's entire journey.

Try that at any of the shipping docks of a major auto company here and you'd find yourself in your managers office the next day. The auto companies REQUIRE a signature on the shipper of EVERY package that leaves their facility. It merely shows you picked up the package, not personally responsible for it's entire journey.
Different companies. I just don't npass out my signature.. My name isn't @UpstateNYUPSer

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I refuse to sign anything a customer gives me. If they want to argue it, it gets left behind as PUX92, not ready.

Same here. I politely say that we have a tracking system and that I don't personally take responsibility for the actions of FedEx. If they'd like to use another carrier, I am happy to exception it and walk away.

This is all about liability, and since FedEx is famous for not paying claims and not taking responsibility, if you're dumb enough to sign, you've just added your name to the liability list.

Dano says not to be paranoid, but how would you like to receive a summons instead of FedEx? The only time I sign my name is at companies that require a signature and ID to enter their premises.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
This is all about liability, and since FedEx is famous for not paying claims and not taking responsibility, if you're dumb enough to sign, you've just added your name to the liability list.

Dano says not to be paranoid, but how would you like to receive a summons instead of FedEx?

"Yes, I did pick up that package on that date and take it to our station." Oh, the humanity!!

fdxsux

This is the right answer.

...or they will call your supervisor or the 1-800#....is this really a battle worth fighting...?
Do you do everything everyone tells you to do just so they won't call your supervisor? It's not worth it to them to call your sup. And if it is, no sup in his right mind will tell you to sign anything. They want the responsibility/liability even less than you do. There is no battle to fight. Just tell them no. They'll still give you the package because they need it shipped. I've done this on more than one occasion.

outtatime

Do you do everything everyone tells you to do just so they won't call your supervisor? It's not worth it to them to call your sup. And if it is, no sup in his right mind will tell you to sign anything. They want the responsibility/liability even less than you do. There is no battle to fight. Just tell them no. They'll still give you the package because they need it shipped. I've done this on more than one occasion.
You've done this at one of the Big 3 auto companies where every shipper must be signed for by the person picking up the packages? Trust me, your manager would not risk pissing off a multi-million dollar a year shipper because you don't want to put your name on a piece of paper.

fdxsux

You've done this at one of the Big 3 auto companies where every shipper must be signed for by the person picking up the packages? Trust me, your manager would not risk pissing off a multi-million dollar a year shipper because you don't want to put your name on a piece of paper.
I've done this at many mom and pop pharmacies just like the OP although I wouldn't hesitate to do it at Amazon if I picked up there. If they call your mgr, who cares? Just say you figured FedEx wouldn't want you signing for anything. If your mgr says to sign for it THEN start signing for it.

MassWineGuy

I, too, had a small pharmacy in Massachusetts ask me to sign. I did, but on further thought I decided maybe not again. It is a pretty small thing, but it bugged me a little.

And I don't think the UPS guy is be argumentative. He asks a valid question

fatboy33

Being from UPS, I don't quite understand what the hangup is about signing for picking up a package. You are signing that you received the package, nothing else. It makes the customer feel a little more secure about that package, for whatever reason.

You require people to sign for packages, what is the difference?
Good point. It makes the customer, usual a low entry level employee, feel secure to have a signature. Some of these people know little about online tracking and it gives them piece of mind they won't get yelled at by their bosses. I do explain to them to be prepared that a different driver may refuse to sign anything. Placate the customer and, in my experience, the sheet will usually go away as their trust for you goes up.