Automation, the future and the American worker (ON TOPIC)

Swanson

Henry Swanson's my name, and excitement's my game.
Thread created in 2018. Are the robots here yet? Lol. Seriously though, companies are too greedy to invest in developing and buying expensive and complex equipment and workers are too cheap to justify it in the first place.
The longshoreman said the same thing in LA/LB there are about 14 container terminals 3 have been automated in the last 7 years.It was announced this week that they are automating another terminal.

meritocracy

The longshoreman said the same thing in LA/LB there are about 14 container terminals 3 have been automated in the last 7 years.It was announced this week that they are automating another terminal.
Longshoremen are extremely expensive workers, though. Not nearly on the level of truckers or delivery drivers. And especially not package handlers.

Swanson

Henry Swanson's my name, and excitement's my game.
Longshoremen are extremely expensive workers, though. Not nearly on the level of truckers or delivery drivers. And especially not package handlers.
They also have
They also have a really strong union that was my point,if that happened to them, you don't think it will happen to teamsters?Sure it may take a little longer,but when it does it will have a domino effect.

quad decade guy

We could get rid of them tomorrow if we really wanted, it's just not cost effective because of the disorganized way we plan our buildings and land acq
Our "crew" was eliminated 20 years ago. Our car wash building has been closed(inoperable) for a year. Reduced to a bucket and brush.
We have a near new building. Big.
We have a fueler/washer(a couple actually).....but you usually have to go right behind them and top off your fuel and actually wash the windows to be able to see. Their uh efforts are somewhat lacking.....I'm not nitpicking......if I don't top off fuel....I get a low fuel light.....if I don't wash it myself.....literally can't see. If the fueler/washer is short on time.....it doesn't get washed(90% of the time...)

quad decade guy

Automation.........overrated.....

Again......we are YEARS from being threatened(by automation).....decades? 100 years?

As we watch automated vehicle disasters one after another. Yes, we have an automated irreg train in our building....that stupidly blocks at least 2 main vehicle entrances. IE decided that it would be best to unload these trains(by humans) right in front of entrance/exit doors. Whatever cost saving was achieved by having these circulate around the building pilotless....was negated by drivers waiting on them to get out of the way. STUPID. I'm talking full time drivers at top pay on overtime.......and by my observation......these automated trains travel at least twice as slow as the old ones. And these auto-trains have the absolute right of way of any vehicle.....and human.

Anyone losing sleep over loading/unloading trucks/trailers(being replaced).....has never watched these processes....hell, our new hires/sups don't have a clue about load retainers.....on and on.

No? Ok.....Let me ask you this: Would you take even a free trip on one of those Elon Musk rockets? You know the ones that blow up regularly? That's the state of automation now. It just doesn't work in the real world. Self-driving Teslas? A deadly joke. Semi's? Get real.

Hell, we can't even keep big trucks upright with humans.....imagine them being driverless....this is LAUGHABLE.

The 737 MAX is a great example. What happens when the system goes bad(for whatever reason).....very ugly. Would I fly on an automated(totally) plane? No friend-ing way.

wilberforce15

Automation.........overrated.....

Again......we are YEARS from being threatened(by automation).....decades? 100 years?

As we watch automated vehicle disasters one after another. Yes, we have an automated irreg train in our building....that stupidly blocks at least 2 main vehicle entrances. IE decided that it would be best to unload these trains(by humans) right in front of entrance/exit doors. Whatever cost saving was achieved by having these circulate around the building pilotless....was negated by drivers waiting on them to get out of the way. STUPID. I'm talking full time drivers at top pay on overtime.......and by my observation......these automated trains travel at least twice as slow as the old ones. And these auto-trains have the absolute right of way of any vehicle.....and human.

Anyone losing sleep over loading/unloading trucks/trailers(being replaced).....has never watched these processes....hell, our new hires/sups don't have a clue about load retainers.....on and on.

No? Ok.....Let me ask you this: Would you take even a free trip on one of those Elon Musk rockets? You know the ones that blow up regularly? That's the state of automation now. It just doesn't work in the real world. Self-driving Teslas? A deadly joke. Semi's? Get real.

Hell, we can't even keep big trucks upright with humans.....imagine them being driverless....this is LAUGHABLE.

The 737 MAX is a great example. What happens when the system goes bad(for whatever reason).....very ugly. Would I fly on an automated(totally) plane? No friend-ing way.
Self-driving teslas are already safer than a circle of honor driver.