Automation, the future and the American worker (ON TOPIC)

sandwich

The resident gearhead
Self-driving teslas are already safer than a circle of honor driver.
If the tech was truly that promising, companies like starsky wouldn’t have struggled to find investors. Level 5 isn’t going to happen. It’s going to end up being a really good cruise control.

wilberforce15

If the tech was truly that promising, companies like starsky wouldn’t have struggled to find investors. Level 5 isn’t going to happen. It’s going to end up being a really good cruise control.
Feel free to watch the mixed use, highway, city, construction, one-way routes that cover hundreds of miles and many hours on youtube, in unedited long-play. It's real, and it's already better than you. The world just won't accept it until it's 100x better.

Red Devil

The Power of Connected
India is a joke, nothing but simple read-off-a-script jobs can be trusted to anyone from that *hole

Sounds like it would be better overall to keep you on as a competent employee even though it would be cheaper to hire a barely qualified outside contractor.

Phew, your job is saved.

BrownSnowFlake

It means that, for any given stretch of road, I am less likely to get in an accident with autopilot than with a Circle of Honor driver.
Circle of Honor by definition means you've had no accidents for quite nearly your whole career. Autonomous Vehicle Technology has been around for about 10 years. AVs have had accidents within the last decade. Statistically, the probability of an AV getting in an accident is greater than zero. Circle of Honor drivers have not had accidents in the last decade. Statistically, their probability of an accident is zero.

If you said an AV was safer than the average driver I wouldn't argue about it. You are saying AV is safer than a flawless driver and still fail to explain yourself.

And none of this even touches the much more troublesome issue of letting the Google/Amazon/government partnership decide where you're allowed to go and when you can get there.

sandwich

The resident gearhead
Feel free to watch the mixed use, highway, city, construction, one-way routes that cover hundreds of miles and many hours on youtube, in unedited long-play. It's real, and it's already better than you. The world just won't accept it until it's 100x better.
I don’t care, I don’t drive for a living anymore. But automated driving companies are struggling to find investors, companies are shutting down and CEO’s are leaving to start different tech companies.

wilberforce15

I don’t care, I don’t drive for a living anymore. But automated driving companies are struggling to find investors, companies are shutting down and CEO’s are leaving to start different tech companies.
There is only one automated driving company that is making progress. And they're just about done.

wilberforce15

Circle of Honor by definition means you've had no accidents for quite nearly your whole career. Autonomous Vehicle Technology has been around for about 10 years. AVs have had accidents within the last decade. Statistically, the probability of an AV getting in an accident is greater than zero. Circle of Honor drivers have not had accidents in the last decade. Statistically, their probability of an accident is zero.

If you said an AV was safer than the average driver I wouldn't argue about it. You are saying AV is safer than a flawless driver and still fail to explain yourself.

And none of this even touches the much more troublesome issue of letting the Google/Amazon/government partnership decide where you're allowed to go and when you can get there.
More fully autonomous miles are driven in a single day than in a Circle of Honor driver's career. Do you even math, bro?

BrownSnowFlake

More fully autonomous miles are driven in a single day than in a Circle of Honor driver's career. Do you even math, bro?
yes and zero divided by more than zero

is zero

98438E8B-E09D-4B28-8804-722C3F8B8BC0.png

Kingofthenorth

I know this has been posted ad nauseum here and elsewhere, but I think this is a topic that warrants serious discussion. The perpetual cry of "we will be replaced by machines and automated package sorters holy bleep" seems to rouse two main types of responses:

1. Yeah, we're all screwed and it is going to happen sooner than you think, so I'm damn happy I have put in my ___ years and will be getting out soon good luck youngins. -OR-

2. The technology may be here someday soon, but the acceptance, adoption and regulation on a fullscale basis will make it harder to implement. There would probably be widespread paycuts before job losses.

I tend to fall in the second camp. I'm 33, no kids, a hot girlfriend, haven't even started driving. There are two things I am doing to prepare for the future: I am living like 50k a year is the most I will ever make (in case there are paycuts), and if I make more that's great, I'll sock all excess cash into retirement. I am also additionally taking computer science courses at night and online, maybe one a semester, with a focus on robotics (C language, low-level stuff). Adapt or die, and all that fun stuff.

So maybe this is all for naught. Perhaps none of this will become a factor in my career. The fact is, I feel there will always be a human element involved in Package car driving. Feeders, well I don't know enough about em to say. So what are your opinions? What are you doing (if anything) to prepare in case the future brings widespread changes?

Would you rather have a package delivered for hardly anything or current rates? As soon as the technology is there ups employees are finished. If ups refused to automate another company us going to automate and take over the industry. However, if UPS is automated alot of other industries will be automated and society will fundamentally change forever

Kingofthenorth

Thread created in 2018. Are the robots here yet? Lol. Seriously though, companies are too greedy to invest in developing and buying expensive and complex equipment and workers are too cheap to justify it in the first place.
You know how they are in Intergrad school. UPS is going to have driver 150 years from now etc...You know longer than there have been cars. Automation is going to happen its just a question of when. However it's will probably be a slow process ie UPS cars can now park themselves alert you if they think you are going to hit something than drive most of the time etc. It's not going to be an overnight thing. If it's an overnight thing everyone would lose their jobs make it all irrelevant anyways.

quad decade guy

Would you rather have a package delivered for hardly anything or current rates? As soon as the technology is there ups employees are finished. If ups refused to automate another company us going to automate and take over the industry. However, if UPS is automated alot of other industries will be automated and society will fundamentally change forever
K. Let's say the driverless automated pkg car makes it to an address.....then what? Who is going to deliver the pkg? This stuff is LAUGHABLE. Idiotic.

We had a pair of chase lounges in a huge box that I can barely move around by UPS in a pkg car. It would take a drone of some type as big as a Bell Jet Ranger to deliver that at a cost of thousands of dollars....just from the helicopter....not including all the transport by truck. Yes......even if it was driverless.

Now, can we be replaced by $8 an hour fools? You Bet.

This driverless talk needs to take place in........100 years?
Do you do reality......"Bro"?

Man....you do drink the Kool-Aid.

I saw a Fed-Ex commercial the other day with an autonomous vehicle on the sidewalk somewhere.....really? They don't even allow skateboards!!!!!

Full of pedestrians.....you think the people will have to yield like we do at work? LOLOLOLOLOL.

How long do you think it would take before it would be on concrete blocks....stripped or full of bullet holes? In St. Louis or Minneapolis?

East LA.....OMGOMGOMG

wilberforce15

K. Let's say the driverless automated pkg car makes it to an address.....then what? Who is going to deliver the pkg? This stuff is LAUGHABLE. Idiotic.

We had a pair of chase lounges in a huge box that I can barely move around by UPS in a pkg car. It would take a drone of some type as big as a Bell Jet Ranger to deliver that at a cost of thousands of dollars....just from the helicopter....not including all the transport by truck. Yes......even if it was driverless.

Now, can we be replaced by $8 an hour fools? You Bet.

This driverless talk needs to take place in........100 years?

Do you do reality......"Bro"?

Man....you do drink the Kool-Aid.

I saw a Fed-Ex commercial the other day with an autonomous vehicle on the sidewalk somewhere.....really? They don't even allow skateboards!!!!!

Full of pedestrians.....you think the people will have to yield like we do at work? LOLOLOLOLOL.

How long do you think it would take before it would be on concrete blocks....stripped or full of bullet holes? In St. Louis or Minneapolis?

East LA.....OMGOMGOMG
I rarely choose to engage the dimmest bulb on the block, but it's tempting.

I said nothing of drones. I said nothing of UPS. I said nothing of package cars. And I said nothing about delivering without humans.

So go learn to read.