Automation, the future and the American worker (ON TOPIC)

Kingofthenorth

K. Let's say the driverless automated pkg car makes it to an address.....then what? Who is going to deliver the pkg? This stuff is LAUGHABLE. Idiotic.

We had a pair of chase lounges in a huge box that I can barely move around by UPS in a pkg car. It would take a drone of some type as big as a Bell Jet Ranger to deliver that at a cost of thousands of dollars....just from the helicopter....not including all the transport by truck. Yes......even if it was driverless.

Now, can we be replaced by $8 an hour fools? You Bet.

This driverless talk needs to take place in........100 years?

Do you do reality......"Bro"?

Man....you do drink the Kool-Aid.

I saw a Fed-Ex commercial the other day with an autonomous vehicle on the sidewalk somewhere.....really? They don't even allow skateboards!!!!!

Full of pedestrians.....you think the people will have to yield like we do at work? LOLOLOLOLOL.

How long do you think it would take before it would be on concrete blocks....stripped or full of bullet holes? In St. Louis or Minneapolis?

East LA.....OMGOMGOMG

Automating the inside of the warehouse is the easiest part as it's a controlled environment and is not thay far away. Most of the drivers are costing UPS over 100k per year from payroll, benefits, pension, disability and so on so when the technology becomes available they will do it. That is a while away, but not 100 years. Keep in mind cars have only been around 100 years and UPS trucks haven't been around that long at all.

quad decade guy

I rarely choose to engage the dimmest bulb on the block, but it's tempting.

I said nothing of drones. I said nothing of UPS. I said nothing of package cars. And I said nothing about delivering without humans.

So go learn to read.
Well...I do engage the flashiest bulb as it's the first to burn out.....

Now, automated vehicle development is "about done"? LOLOLOLOLOL.

If(then) automated vehicle development "is about done" then automated pkg delivery should be a couple years away....you said nothing about UPS because it's DECADES away....I say 100 years...

As the US is currently structured......autonomous vehicles and their drive path is simply untennable.

This isn't Star Wars......we don't have "thinking droids".....piloting cars.

Say, what is this autonomous vehicle going to do when it encounters a BLM/Antifa mob in a town near you? You know people milling about on a open highway at night? It's happened here and we aren't really known for such stupidity...

I can read quite well......trying to smear me doesn't add any gravity or credibility to your statements bright boy.

You made general declarative statements that are simply not reality.

I suspect your denigration of the Circle of Honor folks is mere jealousy....it abounds on BC.
Automating the inside of the warehouse is the easiest part as it's a controlled environment and is not thay far away. Most of the drivers are costing UPS over 100k per year from payroll, benefits, pension, disability and so on so when the technology becomes available they will do it. That is a while away, but not 100 years. Keep in mind cars have only been around 100 years and UPS trucks haven't been around that long at all.
UPS has had trucks since basically 1907......100 years give or take.

Say, how are we going to make this"progress" without plastic? Democrats are trying desperately to get rid of it......

Kingofthenorth

Well...I do engage the flashiest bulb as it's the first to burn out.....

Now, automated vehicle development is "about done"? LOLOLOLOLOL.

If(then) automated vehicle development "is about done" then automated pkg delivery should be a couple years away....you said nothing about UPS because it's DECADES away....I say 100 years...

As the US is currently structured......autonomous vehicles and their drive path is simply untennable.

This isn't Star Wars......we don't have "thinking droids".....piloting cars.

Say, what is this autonomous vehicle going to do when it encounters a BLM/Antifa mob in a town near you? You know people milling about on a open highway at night? It's happened here and we aren't really known for such stupidity...

I can read quite well......trying to smear me doesn't add any gravity or credibility to your statements bright boy.

You made general declarative statements that are simply not reality.

I suspect your denigration of the Circle of Honor folks is mere jealousy....it abounds on BC.

UPS has had trucks since basically 1907......100 years give or take.

Say, how are we going to make this"progress" without plastic? Democrats are trying desperately to get rid of it......

I wouldn't count those as trucks but sure we can go with that. Regardless of what you think of technological progress you have to admit it's far faster today than it was in 1907. So this 100 years of technological progress even though it seems like 100 years is actually way shorter, as the gains are much faster than they use to be and it's very hard to predict the future. Pizza has been delivered fully automuously etc. Clearly there will be alot of issues with implementation from government to social level but it will happen eventually. If you can automate the largest Industy in America and automate alot of other industries retraining seems nearly impossible which is why some of the richest and most influential people in the world are for a UBI or other solutions when these events begin to happen. The richest guy and second richest guy in the world predict massive world wide automation in the next 20 years.

quad decade guy

I wouldn't count those as trucks but sure we can go with that. Regardless of what you think of technological progress you have to admit it's far faster today than it was in 1907. So this 100 years of technological progress even though it seems like 100 years is actually way shorter, as the gains are much faster than they use to be and it's very hard to predict the future. Pizza has been delivered fully automuously etc. Clearly there will be alot of issues with implementation from government to social level but it will happen eventually. If you can automate the largest Industy in America and automate alot of other industries retraining seems nearly impossible which is why some of the richest and most influential people in the world are for a UBI or other solutions when these events begin to happen. The richest guy and second richest guy in the world predict massive world wide automation in the next 20 years.
Time is time. It doesn't have inflation....

A truck is a truck 1907 or 2907.

Yeah the rich guys want to stay rich.....

Yes, you can deliver a pizza in a tightly controlled environment......try that on the south side of Chicago.....

The world will have to fundamentally change in a completely different way for any of this to work....

You say in 20 years? This is laughable with all respect. Hell, people in inner cities don't even have access to grocery stores...

Hell, people in Africa have never seen a pizza.

And UPS Fed-Ex making deliveries from autonomous carts driving down sidewalks....really?

People are just too stupid(currently) to make this feasible.

To wit.....we still use gunpowder to force compliance of many kinds....this was discovered 200 BC....Now think hard about that.

Kingofthenorth

Yes, you can deliver a pizza in a tightly controlled environment......try that on the south side of Chicago.....

The world will have to fundamentally change in a completely different way for any of this to work....

You say in 20 years? This is laughable with all respect. Hell, people in inner cities don't even have access to grocery stores...

And UPS Fed-Ex making deliveries from autonomous carts driving down sidewalks....really?

To wit.....we still use gunpowder to force compliance of many kinds....this was discovered 200 BC....Now think hard about that.
Trucks in 1907 looked like carriages, there were more horses on the road and many people thought horses would continue there dominance. Trucks constantly stalled out, horses were faster etc. The world will certainly fundamentally change with new amazing technologies just like the industrial revolution. The world doesn't look the way you think it does in most of those technological spects. Than not your fault though. It's propaganda, news, charities deciet to get more money etc.

Kingofthenorth

What the big diffrence to you between In 20 years or 100 years. What makes it seem like it has to be 100?

quad decade guy

What the big diffrence to you between In 20 years or 100 years. What makes it seem like it has to be 100?
It took humans 100,000 years to go from sticks to nuclear weapons. Some folks are still using machetes......think hard.

A I is nowhere even close to reality. NO WHERE CLOSE.
Trucks in 1907 looked like carriages, there were more horses on the road and many people thought horses would continue there dominance. Trucks constantly stalled out, horses were faster etc. The world will certainly fundamentally change with new amazing technologies just like the industrial revolution. The world doesn't look the way you think it does in most of those technological spects. Than not your fault though. It's propaganda, news, charities deciet to get more money etc.
You think they will be autonomously deliver pizzas in the next 20 years.....O M G.

Propaganda.....ok.

wilberforce15

It took humans 100,000 years to go from sticks to nuclear weapons. Some folks are still using machetes......think hard.

You think they will be autonomously deliver pizzas in the next 20 years.....O M G.

Propaganda.....ok.
Right now, today, I can be driven to work through mixed highway and city, one ways, crosswalks, and construction, for a 25 mile, 40 minute commute, and never touch the wheel from driveway to parking spot. And it's safer than a circle of honor chauffer.

What you're saying is impossible already exists.

quad decade guy

Right now, today, I can be driven to work through mixed highway and city, one ways, crosswalks, and construction, for a 25 mile, 40 minute commute, and never touch the wheel from driveway to parking spot. And it's safer than a circle of honor chauffer.

Not true. Hands have to be on the wheel....thus it doesn't exist.

Why? because it is extraordinarily unreliable and extremely dangerous. No? Ok....

Now, the day they take away the manual controls(of any kind)......get back to us.

As little of this that is going on...headlines are full of accidents. Pure folly.

PT Car Washer

Propaganda.....ok.
Dominos and CVS are using autonomous delivery vehicles in Houston Texas right now.

quad decade guy

Dominos and CVS are using autonomous delivery vehicles in Houston Texas right now.
Yes. In tightly controlled areas. Every town USA? Laughable. Imagine in some places of Houston........LOLOLOLOLOL. That vehicle would be stripped on the sidewalk in broad freakin daylight! Houston! Not to mention running over a homeless person.... O M G

How about Chicago....San Francisco....!

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member

In what?

wilberforce15

Not true. Hands have to be on the wheel....thus it doesn't exist.

Why? because it is extraordinarily unreliable and extremely dangerous. No? Ok....

Now, the day they take away the manual controls(of any kind)......get back to us.

As little of this that is going on...headlines are full of accidents. Pure folly.
Hands don't have to be on the wheel. You have no idea what you're talking about.

Headlines are not full of FSD accidents. They're full of Tesla accidents from a bunch of yahoos that didn't have FSD.

wilberforce15

This is two months old. The newer is way better. Unedited. Full steering wheel pictured. No disengagements. No hands And that was like 3 versions ago. The newer is much, much better and handles more. It's improving parabolically. And it's already better than you.