Avoidable Accident while parked

Dustyroads

This is handy, if you've chosen to walk 3/4 of a mile to this point, you can use the swinging bridge at the left, and make the remaining 1/4 mile hike up to the house. You can rest here on the way back before you have to climb that hill.
attachment.php

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Stud, you're going to back up this driveway?!

As far as delivering pkgs on the way home, I did it again the other day. The customer thanked me for doing that for her. I hardly think they will hire someone to run off one pkg but maybe they do things differently in Beantown.
I would never back into a driveway, that far without knowing the driveway. It is much easier to see what is coming at you face on than what is coming at you from behind. In a situation like this, I would rather risk negotiating a turn around at the bottom than backing into something I didn't know about. On the way down I would be looking for a suitable turn around in the event that there was no turn around at the bottom.

And I agree with you, if it services the customer then I have no issues delivering a package on the way home. I haven't done it very often but I will do it. I have stopped on the way home to correct a mis-del that I did. It was my mistake and I corrected it for the customer.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
as far as the driveway no problem. i am just as comfortable going backwards as i am going forwards.
working when not on the clock real nice. while you are converting the contract into a picture book ( which you consider a joke ) maybe you should read it. oh i forgot your status ********* forbids you to do that.
And backing into an unknown driveway is asking for trouble........................................

Red Rose Tea

Chihuahuas Rule!
I would never back into a driveway, that far without knowing the driveway. It is much easier to see what is coming at you face on than what is coming at you from behind. In a situation like this, I would rather risk negotiating a turn around at the bottom than backing into something I didn't know about. On the way down I would be looking for a suitable turn around in the event that there was no turn around at the bottom.

And I agree with you, if it services the customer then I have no issues delivering a package on the way home. I haven't done it very often but I will do it. I have stopped on the way home to correct a mis-del that I did. It was my mistake and I corrected it for the customer.

Dill and upstate,
many of our drivers service their customers on their way home. For example, 1DA that they missed or a mis-delivery that they recovered.

jimstud

Banned
And backing into an unknown driveway is asking for trouble........................................

so is backing out into a street. listen i ahve worked for ups 23 years as a driver for 16 and i have 13 years safe driving , i would rather back up a driveway than out into traffic.
as for working off the clock it is wrong peroid. you are either taking overtime away from another driver or if enough of you are doiing it it allows them to cut a route. what happen if you slip and blow your knee or your back out while you are delievering off the clock or worse yet you get into an accident ? you think the big brown machine is going to pay you comp or pay to fix your car. if you want to do that go join fedex ground.

over9five

Staff member
I disagree that "many of our drivers service their customers on their way home". I think most of us are able to do the job right while we're on the clock. Most of us punch out and go home.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I disagree that "many of our drivers service their customers on their way home". I think most of us are able to do the job right while we're on the clock. Most of us punch out and go home.

Do the job right?

The pkg I ran off on the way home last week was misloaded on to the adjacent pkg car, which delivers to a town 1 hour away. Yes, that driver could have run it off on the way in, but it would have added about 10 miles to his day. I live a mile or so from that address. My on car asked me as a favor if I wouldn't mind running it off and adjusted my timecard accordingly.

About 6 months or so ago there was a NDA sitting at the end of the belt for one of the neighbors in my condo complex. She wasn't home, it required an autograph and needed to be refrigerated. I asked my center manager if he wanted me to run it off, knowing that it would show up late in my DIAD, but not late in the system as it had been attempted earlier that day. He said yes, I sheeted it, signed for it and indirected it to my unit. Turns out it was medicine that she needed. She thanked me with a 6 pack of Coors Light by my door the following day.

I will not apologize for doing this and will do it again if asked to. I fully understand the liability issue.

Over, I would agree that it would be an issue if "many of our drivers service their customers on their way home."

jimstud

Banned

is it right or wrong to deliever packages out of your personal car on your own time ?
as far as you go kitty cat i thought you were out ?

SWORDFISH

I agree and to add to that even if you cant find a turn around in a long driveway especially when its dark outside you would want to drive down it forward so you can see the driveway and whats around it so if you have to back you know whats around you when your backing that far.

SWORDFISH

Do the job right?

The pkg I ran off on the way home last week was misloaded on to the adjacent pkg car, which delivers to a town 1 hour away. Yes, that driver could have run it off on the way in, but it would have added about 10 miles to his day. I live a mile or so from that address. My on car asked me as a favor if I wouldn't mind running it off and adjusted my timecard accordingly.

About 6 months or so ago there was a NDA sitting at the end of the belt for one of the neighbors in my condo complex. She wasn't home, it required an autograph and needed to be refrigerated. I asked my center manager if he wanted me to run it off, knowing that it would show up late in my DIAD, but not late in the system as it had been attempted earlier that day. He said yes, I sheeted it, signed for it and indirected it to my unit. Turns out it was medicine that she needed. She thanked me with a 6 pack of Coors Light by my door the following day.

I will not apologize for doing this and will do it again if asked to. I fully understand the liability issue.

Over, I would agree that it would be an issue if "many of our drivers service their customers on their way home."

UPstate my avatar is responding to your comment. Your a good guy and I will leave it at that my avatar is saying the rest.

DazedandConfused

Do the job right?

I will not apologize for doing this and will do it again if asked to. I fully understand the liability issue

as for working off the clock it is wrong peroid. you are either taking overtime away from another driver or if enough of you are doiing it it allows them to cut a route. what happen if you slip and blow your knee or your back out while you are delievering off the clock or worse yet you get into an accident ? you think the big brown machine is going to pay you comp or pay to fix your car. if you want to do that go join fedex ground.

My view on this is that both of you are right. I don't want to take work from a fellow teamster, but I will do anything in my power to get what I think might be medicine to a customer. Especially if it is a NDA(signiture required or not). There are members of my family that depend on NDA shipments of medicine from us that could prove fatal if not delivered the following day. Our center does not usually have "qualified" delivery personel on our Metro shift. Certainly there are personal risks involved, but I can live with the chances of something happening to me while going out of my way. Who knows, one of their family members might see our act as "compassion" and in turn it could land us an account that might have gone to Freddy. Medicine deliveries are the ONLY exception for me. Anything else can wait till the morning. JMO

SWORDFISH

is it right or wrong to deliever packages out of your personal car on your own time ?
as far as you go kitty cat i thought you were out ?

You shouldnt. However sometimes they will ask if you will on your way home and they will add time to your timecard as an allowance for doing so and I think thats fine. Depends on how technical you want to get.

SWORDFISH

...and you are entitled to your opinion. Dave.

Dave your a good guy. I hope none of it ever backfires on you. You take good care of your customers. Just dangerous and contractual issues. I do have idea for you guys though on the medication issue. Why not have the customer come meet you later on? I have customers meet me often.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Dave your a good guy. I hope none of it ever backfires on you. You take good care of your customers. Just dangerous and contractual issues. I do have idea for you guys though on the medication issue. Why not have the customer come meet you later on? I have customers meet me often.

The NDA for my condo complex, and for most of my area, is delivered by a driver on the way down to her area and she does not come back through town on her way back to the bldg. I just happened to see that pkg at the end of the belt and wanted to do the right thing for my neighbor. I will try whenever I can to make a 2nd attempt or will write my cell number on the info notice if I have send agains on my area and am usually able to get rid of them on the 2nd attempt. Most of the pkgs that I am asked to run off on the way home are not on my delivery area but are on my way home and, yes, they will always adjust my timecard accordingly. As I said, it doesn't happen very often, but when it does and when I am asked I will normally say yes, unless I have something going on that evening.

fxdwg

Long Time Member
My two cents:

UpsState is correct in everything he says here. I am not idolizing him, but he takes the BS that is thrown at him (alot) and handles it professionally (consistently).

All this crap about taking money from a "Brother" is part of the problem with UPS, and specifically UPSers, and much more specifically; Jimstud.

Jimstud's argument is that "Working off the clock" takes OT from a Brother. With his logic, should UPS continue to pay for us going to the bathroom? I don't want to get into a debate about what is "Payable" and what is not; but most should understand what I mean.

UPS is not like a computer that can account for every blessed nano-second of what is being done.

I am a UPSer as well as a Customer. I don't know what difficulty guys like UpsState go through to deliver my package at 7:00pm or so, but I am glad that he does it. It PERSONALIZES the delivery. That's what we are. If he insisted to be paid for it, the breakdown starts from within and propels outwards.
Maybe it is not management that is "brainwashed".

UpsState: Thanks for your level of Service.

It is such a small event, but a "normal" event with you internally (I presume).

Swordfish: Meeting Customers???? Motel 6 or better? (wink)