Behavioral Health Coverage

MassWineGuy

Ok. So I’m not ashamed to admit that there have been times when I’ve needed a therapist. Some things are going on now where I need some help. So I called the EAP program for some names for the eight free sessions.

The rep told me that this was all the mental health coverage (oops, I mean behavioral health) we have. I called Cigna and they confirmed that they offer no mental health benefits to FedEx employees. I know that United Health Care offers none. What happens after eight sessions? Jump out a window? It’s totally disgusting.

Does anyone know something different? My immediate feeling was to quit and work for Starbucks. I’ve heard they have good benefits.

MAKAVELI

Ok. So I’m not ashamed to admit that there have been times when I’ve needed a therapist. Some things are going on now where I need some help. So I called the EAP program for some names for the eight free sessions.

The rep told me that this was all the mental health coverage (oops, I mean behavioral health) we have. I called Cigna and they confirmed that they offer no mental health benefits to FedEx employees. I know that United Health Care offers none. What happens after eight sessions? Jump out a window? It’s totally disgusting.

Does anyone know something different? My immediate feeling was to quit and work for Starbucks. I’ve heard they have good benefits.
I believe after the 8 would be under the regular health benefits and you'd have to pay your co-insurance %.

It will be fine

The EAP should connect you with a therapist in your normal health insurance network so you can continue treatment after the EAP benefit expires. I believe after the ACA mental health has to be covered in all insurance plans.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus

Nothing to be ashamed of. Sometimes life and situations become overwhelming and you need an objective person to talk to.

snowcat66

It's not good. Under our new wonderful health plan you get 6 free sessions with Therapist under EAP. after that they consider the course of action for individual. problem is there is no co pay any longer. you then have to meet the deductible( 2500 or so ) and then it' will be free free free.. not funny but this is the case. good luck

McFeely

Huge Member
Hey man, sorry to hear you're going through some tough stuff. Hoping you can get the help you need and that things smooth out for you-

Stat41

No shame at all man. I have been there too! For sure go for the free EAP benefits and go from there, sometimes the therapist will give a much reduced rate if insurance wont cover you. It is important you find someone that is relatable to you and your personality. For me I found it was easier to relate more to a male than a female because I felt more comfortable just layin it on the line with a guy, but that's just me. Hope you get everything sorted out and remember, "Everyone is normal, until you get to know them." We all have stuff.

MassWineGuy

It's not good. Under our new wonderful health plan you get 6 free sessions with Therapist under EAP. after that they consider the course of action for individual. problem is there is no co pay any longer. you then have to meet the deductible( 2500 or so ) and then it' will be free free free.. not funny but this is the case. good luck

Well, I’m not far from meeting the deductible, thanks to other medical bills. And EAP gives you eight free sessions. If you time it right and start in the fall, you get a new set of eight in the new year.

dmac1

You MUST have an annual out of pocket cap on deductibles that may be lower than you think. Your annual out of pocket under the AC is capped at about 10% of income. So even if your plan states a $6000 deductible, your personal cost may be lower even if you are not on an exchange plan. You may need to claim a credit on your taxes, or fill out some extra forms, but if you are only earning $40k for example, you may have options to continue care/therapy, and once you know you are going to be seeing/needing help for long term, it still doesn't mean you need to pay upfront. Most medical billers will accept payments for up to a year. And if your share of the premium is $200 a month, and you have already paid some copays, you may be closer to your annual cap. Family plans are especially confusing- they may have an annual deductible of $14,000, or such, but each individual could have a $6000 cap. Your insurance plan rep won't want you to know about some of this and certainly isn't going to say 'don't worry' because the reps job is to keep costs low for the company. If all of a sudden, the rep was telling people they can get more care than they know about, upper mgmt might fire the rep. You need to get a COMPLETE copy of your plan- not just the 'summary' of benefits. Your ste may have someone in the health dept or attorney general office whose actual job is to help you. The company rep works for the company, not you.

TTP76

It's 8 free sessions PER ISSUE, per year. So, if depression is the reason for the first 8, perhaps you'll need help with a different primary issue (stress), for the next 8, which should then be free. That's how it was explained to me when I spoke with the EAP rep. Hope it's true, and hope it helps!

dmac1

It's 8 free sessions PER ISSUE, per year. So, if depression is the reason for the first 8, perhaps you'll need help with a different primary issue (stress), for the next 8, which should then be free. That's how it was explained to me when I spoke with the EAP rep. Hope it's true, and hope it helps!
If your mental health professional says you need more, they can go through a process to determine if fedex wants to fight the claim based on whether it is medically necessary.

MAKAVELI

If your mental health professional says you need more, they can go through a process to determine if fedex wants to fight the claim based on whether it is medically necessary.
Fedex has no authority to be involved in our health records. Seeing a therapist/counselor beyond the EAP benefits has always been covered as regular doctor visits.

MassWineGuy

Not sure of that. Until this year, Cigna handled all non-psychiatric behavioral coverage and Anthem took psychiatric visits. This year Cigna is not doing any behavioral except administering the EAP visits. I need to determine if United Healthcare covers behavioral health.

The worst, most ironic part of all this is that people who are hurting and need help, like me, must wade through these labyrinthine mazes. Makes you want to just jump out a window.

It will be fine

Not sure of that. Until this year, Cigna handled all non-psychiatric behavioral coverage and Anthem took psychiatric visits. This year Cigna is not doing any behavioral except administering the EAP visits. I need to determine if United Healthcare covers behavioral health.

The worst, most ironic part of all this is that people who are hurting and need help, like me, must wade through these labyrinthine mazes. Makes you want to just jump out a window.
I would expect the EAP to help figure all that out. At least with the one I offer, I give them my employee’s group health insurance plan and they only use providers that are covered by it. That way a transition to health insurance coverage is pretty seamless.

Star B

White Lightening

You seem to have a different coverage than what I do.

For my area, Anthem did everything non-psyh and Cigna did everything mental health, but now its all UHC.