Being reassigned........To Ground..

Goldilocks

[/QUOTE So those employees who are offered parttime employment should be eligible for partial unemployment..I don't think Fred would want that

Fred DOESN'T want that, in fact, any time someone gets fired (and not for productivity) they are supposed to be eligible for their state unemployment benefits, but FedEx will fight them tooth and nail to not pay. I have seen this on several occasions, and I also saw a manager get suspended for telling the state it was ok to pay. That was my biggest eye opener since being here.[/QUOTE]

Does this apply to all states?

STFXG

If the employer can prove misconduct you cannot collect (including Texas). That's for most states... I'm not sure of any state that allow payment if you're fired. If an employer cannot prove misconduct you can collect.

This is usually why you get reprimanded a few times before being fired.

DOWNTRODDEN IN TEXAS

It all depends on the circumstances. The person I watched this happened to, a good friend at that, had recently lost his eldest son and was not emotionally ready for work since he was trying to be there for his remaining children and wife. This led to being late or missing work altogether and suffering performance (fortunately we were at a customer location and not on the road), so they fired him, he GFT'd, and in the middle of that process he sold his home and moved out of state to stay with family so he missed his meeting and was officially terminated. He is also the one our manager at the time got suspended for approving the payment of his unemployment...all for doing the right thing, not FedEx's "right" thing. Fred makes his own rules as he goes...their called guidelines which are open to interpretation, and you know which way that will go.

STFXG

The state makes a judgement as to whether the termination was valid or not. They are the ones that charge the company if they decide it wasn't justified. If the former employee fights it then it's up to the company to prove that the firing was justified. Then the state decides whether or not to pay the unemployed person.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Fred DOESN'T want that, in fact, any time someone gets fired (and not for productivity) they are supposed to be eligible for their state unemployment benefits, but FedEx will fight them tooth and nail to not pay. I have seen this on several occasions, and I also saw a manager get suspended for telling the state it was ok to pay. That was my biggest eye opener since being here.

Does this apply to all states?[/QUOTE]

FedEx always fights unemployment claims? Light coming on? Cheap, as in squeaking cheap.

bbsam

Staff member
It is common to fight unemployment claims. Not to is foolish. I won one that I wanted to lose and lost the one when I fired the guy for his second avoidable accident in a month.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
I would say that anytime a big corporation like FedEx gets sued they lose something. Even if FedEx prevails at summary judgement they still lose a large amount of money in depositions, subpoena costs, document filing, copying, attorney fees paid to in house lawyers, disruption in the stations if witnesses are questioned there, travel fees for the attorneys, lodging, meals,etc. Even if FedEx wins the majority of it's lawsuits the costs still must be astronomical.
I expect that lawsuits against FedEx will skyrocket in the next 12-24 months with the upcoming changes. Whether FedEx is sued a lot or successfully sued a lot it still costs them a pile of money. Really not that big a difference.

Huge difference. All it takes is 1 lost court case to establish a precedent that can bankrupt a company in short order.

vantexan

Negative, Van that is not what I am saying.
I am saying that as part of the restructuring, many will be told they can stay, but as part time.
Then they will roll out this grand plan like its some miracle sent from the heavens (actually legal) the ability to find employment, ISP, whatever some type of package deal to go to ground and leave express.
It will be sold as your only hope.
It makes Fedex look caring, and avoids mandatory layoffs.[/QUOTE So those employees who are offered parttime employment should be eligible for partial unemployment..I don't think Fred would want that

If the potential is there for a lot of lawsuits it may be in the company's interest to offer a buyout of some sort. Most won't take it, but when the time comes that they start screaming they'll sue, FedEx can point to the buyout they didn't take.

MAKAVELI

Being displaced and eliminating your position are two different things. They cannot force you to relocate. This would be fought tooth and nail for unemployment.