Bereavement? Did your center send you flowers/cards when your family member died?

MotoMoto

I have been working for UPS for 25 years. This is the first time that I had a close family relative die. All the bosses knew it, too. However, I did not receive ANYTHING from UPS, not cards, not flowers. Just thought that was odd. My sister works for Walmart and they sent her tons of food and 3 huge flower arrangements. Have you ever received anything?

brownedout

Yes, I'm going wayyyy back to 1993. When my Father died we received flowers and a fruit basket from my center, and even flowers from the, at that time, other center in my building. Sadly this kind gesture has seemed to disappear from todays ups. That's Logistics!

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I have been working for UPS for 25 years. This is the first time that I had a close family relative die. All the bosses knew it, too. However, I did not receive ANYTHING from UPS, not cards, not flowers. Just thought that was odd. My sister works for Walmart and they sent her tons of food and 3 huge flower arrangements. Have you ever received anything?

First off .... sorry for your loss.

UPS has always sent something but it is up to the local management.

The Teamsters never sent anything.

TheKid

In our center, flowers are sent by both UPS and the Teamsters and our BA attends the wake and funeral and presents the family with a beautiful personalized Bible.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
In 1997 my grandmother passed and my family did receive flowers from the center,but that practice has since been discontinued.
I did get a sympathy card from my local,but i am not sure if this practice is still continued

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
When my dad died in 1991, one of my supervisors attended the funeral, a small wreath of flowers were sent, and I got a condolences card signed by everybody in the Center. When my mom died this last February, they sent a small wreath and that was it. They shorted me a day on my funeral leave. I got nothing from the Teamsters.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
In 1997 my grandmother passed and my family did receive flowers from the center,but that practice has since been discontinued.
I did get a sympathy card from my local,but i am not sure if this practice is still continued

Not a big family anymore. It depends on the local management. Too bad about your center.

First off .... sorry for your loss.

UPS has always sent something but it is up to the local management.

The Teamsters never sent anything.
In my local Dennis, Frank, Paul, Nick & Mike show up for the wake. Good union men and even better fathers, friends, brother and friends. Blessed are we in 407 to have men like this. Thanks guys.

Cementups

Box Monkey
I'm noticing a pattern and my story follows suit. My father passed away in 1994 and there were (I believe) two wreaths at the funeral/viewing. But this was in the 90's and that was a completely different UPS than what we have today.

BCFan

Same here when my Dad passed (1993) flowers and center manager and 3 sups came to viewing...ahead 2002 Mom died and oh well jack tough luck...My respect for the ctr mgr Steve W. (best boss ever) BC

satellitedriver

Once, back in 1993, when my Mother had surgery for colon cancer.
My center manager sent her a plant and a very nice personal card, and she was touched by the thoughtfulness.
My siblings worked for Texaco, Baroid, Williams, DOW and all of the companies sent their condolences.
Times were different then, at UPS.
New center manager in 1994.
-(been thru 13 center manager's, since 1986)-
My sister-in-law passed away suddenly in 1995.
Texaco, Baroid, Williams and DOW sent flowers and cards.
UPS sent nothing.
My father died in 1996.
Texaco, Baroid, Williams and DOW sent flowers and cards.
UPS sent nothing.
My mother-in-law died in 2008.
UPS sent nothing.
My mother died in 2009.
UPS sent nothing.
I was diagnosed with colon cancer in 2010 and had surgery.
No member of management of UPS ever called me in the 10 weeks I spent in recovery.
But, my fellow drivers did.
Cards, gift baskets and-( most importantly)- prayers were sent to me by customers.
I truly do not expect anything from UPS, besides a paycheck and a place to work.

barnyard

KTM rider
When my father in law died 3 years ago, UPS sent nothing. I was helping fill out thank you cards and it was noticed that my employer was the only one of all the children that did not send flowers. In a small town, that gets noticed. When I got back to work, I told any boss that asked, to eff off, as our center still had been sending flowers. Actually, that whole situation was effed. My wife called at 1300 to say that her dad had been found unresponsive. He had a DNR, so we knew his time was short. I called the center and told them to be prepared, that I would call when he passed if I was on-route still and I expected it to be covered. He passed 30 minutes later and when I called, I was told that all the supes left for the day (it was a Friday) and that I was on my own. I am getting irritated just thinking out it.

My mother in law passed in May and my wife received a nice memory book. It was nicer than a flower arrangement.

bumped

I can say in the past few years that UPS did send each of my new born kids a personalized UPS blanlet with their names and weights on them. That may have been because I had a female on car that actually seemed to care.

I guess she did care, because she was is no longer with UPS.

rocket man

Oh, yeah - good point. How come Teamsters can't show some love either???? Lord knows we pay them enough
almost 2 million members some one is passing on everyday. some day i want a retirement check not a bill for flowers (sorry for anyone who has a loss we all have them. AND UPS IS NOT THE ONLY TEAMSTER COMPANY.

lovemyupser

When my husbands grandmother passed away his center sent flowers. Everyone was surprised by that. We live in Alabama and she died in Washington state. UPS was nice enough to give him a little extra time off since we stayed a few extra days in Washington.