Bereavement? Did your center send you flowers/cards when your family member died?

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Once, back in 1993, when my Mother had surgery for colon cancer.
My center manager sent her a plant and a very nice personal card, and she was touched by the thoughtfulness.
My siblings worked for Texaco, Baroid, Williams, DOW and all of the companies sent their condolences.
Times were different then, at UPS.
New center manager in 1994.
-(been thru 13 center manager's, since 1986)-
My sister-in-law passed away suddenly in 1995.
Texaco, Baroid, Williams and DOW sent flowers and cards.
UPS sent nothing.
My father died in 1996.
Texaco, Baroid, Williams and DOW sent flowers and cards.
UPS sent nothing.
My mother-in-law died in 2008.
UPS sent nothing.
My mother died in 2009.
UPS sent nothing.
I was diagnosed with colon cancer in 2010 and had surgery.
No member of management of UPS ever called me in the 10 weeks I spent in recovery.
But, my fellow drivers did.
Cards, gift baskets and-( most importantly)- prayers were sent to me by customers.
I truly do not expect anything from UPS, besides a paycheck and a place to work.

My exact thought too.....

brownedout

Yes, I'm going wayyyy back to 1993. When my Father died we received flowers and a fruit basket from my center, and even flowers from the, at that time, other center in my building. Sadly this kind gesture has seemed to disappear from todays ups. That's Logistics!

On the flip-side: When my Uncle, who was like a big brother to me, died in '89, the then Preload Sup. demanded I return to work after the Bereavement Leave was used up. Didn't want to hear about the Jewish Practice of Shiva. I wasn't going to leave my Aunt and high school age cousin. I was then a NY'er they were in South FL. I stayed and decided to deal with the ramifications when I returned. There were none. I had always liked this Sup. and did go above and beyond for him. Never looked at him the same way after this.

rod

Retired 22 years
First off .... sorry for your loss.

UPS has always sent something but it is up to the local management.

The Teamsters never sent anything.

I doudt the Teamsters would have knowledge of the death of a members family like the company would. You have to inform the company of your situation but why would you call the Union? I had my share of conflicts with Big Brown but I will say they treated me well when it came time for funerals. It was always "take as much time off as you need" ---and they always sent flowers or a plant..

Cards are always at the time clock along with posted announcements for any passing. Unfortunately with a 360 driver board it seems like there`s always a card to sign.

BCFan

First off .... sorry for your loss.

UPS has always sent something but it is up to the local management.

The Teamsters never sent anything.

FYI Hoke teamsters always send flowers and present a nice bible to the affected member....BC

BCFan

I doudt the Teamsters would have knowledge of the death of a members family like the company would. You have to inform the company of your situation but why would you call the Union? I had my share of conflicts with Big Brown but I will say they treated me well when it came time for funerals. It was always "take as much time off as you need" ---and they always sent flowers or a plant..

Rod as a general rule the steward will inform the local then the local will send flowers ....BC

working up a sweat

After my father passed away last year, My UPS manager gave me all the time that I needed and paid me for time missed. I had to travel over 1000 miles away to help take care of arrangements. I missed 6 nights and was paid. Might of used all my bereavement pay and a couple options days. My PT sup bought a card and left it out for fellow employees to sign and write condolences. This meant a lot to me and still hold on to that card. I do not feel slighted at all. Flowers and fruit does not matter to me. The words written on the card and the time they gave to bereave matters a million times more.

rod

Retired 22 years
Rod as a general rule the steward will inform the local then the local will send flowers ....BC

That sounds nice------but it didn't happen at my center. Must have been a small center thing not to inform the Union.

lovemyupser

I asked my husband what his center does when a family member passes away. He told me that everyone is asked to donate money so flowers and a card can be sent. Which every time he has told me they are taking a collection at work I just say okay. I never ask why I just hand him a $20. I have a big heart. He also said that now they are asking for donations to help the drivers that are out due to an injury so they can have a nice holiday season. So I think his center is really good about taking care of the drivers for the most part.

W

westsideworma

when my father passed away almost 2 years ago (53) I was sent a basket and a card from the shift. Also two of my supervisors showed up (one of which i didn't really work for at the time anymore) and a great many hourly employees that I worked with and/or supervised showed up for the wake. Some also sent cards.

Now I know this place seemingly gets worse and worse to work for every year but that was a bright spot for me in one of the saddest times of my life thus far and I really appreciated it.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I was sent flowers, or the funeral home was for my mom and dad. My husband had surgery and I was off six weeks my center manager sent him a beautiful plant. When my brother passed and I had to travel to tx, I had to fight for my bereavement pay. When my sister died, nothing. Thats fine. When I was in management I made sure a plant was sent, I dont know how things are now. Once when I was on vaca a driver lost his son and nothing was sent, and his pay didnt get put in.
it all depends on mgmt, and who is in the know.
We had a driver lose his father and a mechanic lose his mother, I am assuming we sent flowers as they sent a thank you card. I made sure I gave them all a hug. We had a driver losing his son to brain cancer, I took a collection, I was asked by another driver to do it. He died before we got the collection to him, but the driver who delivered it told me he cried, and was thankful and appreciative. That is why I couldnt deliver it I am female and cant hide my emotions. Thank God for men, real men who were up to the task.
To me flowers for a mom dad, is good, losing a child needs a collection. But thats just me.
I cant imagine anything worse.

bigmistake

Thanks for asking. When my father passed in February 2010. I was sent a very nice fruit basket. Every time I get fed up with this company, I think of that.

Inthegame

Last May a young driver in a small upstate center passed away leaving three year old twin boys and a young wife. A nearby center took a collection but then our local union sent a letter to all UPS stewards statewide explaining the situation and asking members to consider helping the family. UPS allowed the stewards to read the letter at all PCM's. Betweeen the union donation of money raised at a golf outing and the member collection from the steward letter, over $6000 was raised for the kids. I've had plenty of disagreements with UPS in other issues but in my experience they've always stood up in times like these.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Last May a young driver in a small upstate center passed away leaving three year old twin boys and a young wife. A nearby center took a collection but then our local union sent a letter to all UPS stewards statewide explaining the situation and asking members to consider helping the family. UPS allowed the stewards to read the letter at all PCM's. Betweeen the union donation of money raised at a golf outing and the member collection from the steward letter, over $6000 was raised for the kids. I've had plenty of disagreements with UPS in other issues but in my experience they've always stood up in times like these.
AS IT SHOULD BE.
every passing is serious, it is a deep emotional thing. Sometimes it is deeper and more emotional, and its hard to discern, but when unexpected fatalities, families left behind, etc, It to me is worse.
We all expect to lose our parents, and while traumatic, not the same as when our young unexpectedly get taken away.
good for you and your team, I applaud them

Inthegame

AS IT SHOULD BE.
every passing is serious, it is a deep emotional thing. Sometimes it is deeper and more emotional, and its hard to discern, but when unexpected fatalities, families left behind, etc, It to me is worse.
We all expect to lose our parents, and while traumatic, not the same as when our young unexpectedly get taken away.
good for you and your team, I applaud them
Thanks Tooner, I applaud them also. I was honored to be part of the small group that presented the collected donation to the family. While at the center, the driver who now delivers to the home where the twins live related a tough story to me. While making a delivery to their home, one of the boys came running to the door calling da-da. He apparently saw (or heard) the truck coming up the farm driveway. Along with all the pressures of the job, this is what some of our folks get to carry around with them. Kinda makes so many of our pressing issues insignificant in comparison. Thanks again for your sincere thoughts.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
I lost my mom in the spring,I got a nice fruit basket and a card from the sup and clerks and a nice card signed by all the feeder dpt. Three of the drivers went out of their way to come to the Mass.!! that meant a lot!!

over9five

Staff member
When my Dad died, the center sent flowers. As we had just started PAS/EDD, not one driver got in early enough to make the wake. My center manager came.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Thanks Tooner, I applaud them also. I was honored to be part of the small group that presented the collected donation to the family. While at the center, the driver who now delivers to the home where the twins live related a tough story to me. While making a delivery to their home, one of the boys came running to the door calling da-da. He apparently saw (or heard) the truck coming up the farm driveway. Along with all the pressures of the job, this is what some of our folks get to carry around with them. Kinda makes so many of our pressing issues insignificant in comparison. Thanks again for your sincere thoughts.
Call me old fashioned but its the mens job to present a collection, and thanks to all of any of you who have done it, for your time and caring.
Ill collect night and day. Ill twist an arm, or embarras a sup or center manager if they havent given yet, but I cannot go to the presentation, tough as I may look on the outside, those damn tears, I have never been able to control. Ill go to calling hours in my browns if I need to, but its tough, so I sign, hug and leave. I am just way too emotional.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

About 10 years ago we had a former center manager die in a construction accident. We all signed a card and most of us went to the wake in our browns. The line for the viewing went out the door and down the street but everyone stayed to pay their respects.