Bereavement? Did your center send you flowers/cards when your family member died?

hdkappler

I have been working for UPS for 25 years. This is the first time that I had a close family relative die. All the bosses knew it, too. However, I did not receive ANYTHING from UPS, not cards, not flowers. Just thought that was odd. My sister works for Walmart and they sent her tons of food and 3 huge flower arrangements. Have you ever received anything?
join the club.they don't care about youre family.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
When my wife died 2 years ago, my center manager and 2 driver supervisors showed up at the wake. The head of my local and about 20 drivers also came by and gave me their support. I was given a card signed by the drivers with some money from them. I believe there was also a flower arrangement sent by UPS to the funeral home.

I ended up taking 2 weeks off and was paid for 7 days. In times like these, respect and condolences are all that you should expect from UPS. My company made me feel comforted and went above and beyond what was CONTRACTUAL at the time. Don't expect a Harry and David pear basket everytime a family member passes.

If you worried about what you got or didn't get, then you didn't respect the time you had to reflect on life and death !!!

Harley Rider

34 yrs & done!
My wife passed away in April from cancer. The management team sent flowers and came to the visitation and funeral. I was able to schedule the funeral on Saturday to allow drivers to attend that wanted to. There were very few that did not attend or send flowers and cards. Management went overboard to allow me enough time before coming back to work to regroup myself. I know that alot was due to the fact that my wife had worked at UPS for 21 years and had a friendship with almost everyone. I know that when I get fed up with everyday occurances, I tend to look back to the kindness shown to me during this time before I open my mouth. Upper tier management might be heartless but local management has always tried to do the right thing unless you cross the line.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
My wife passed away in April from cancer. The management team sent flowers and came to the visitation and funeral. I was able to schedule the funeral on Saturday to allow drivers to attend that wanted to. There were very few that did not attend or send flowers and cards. Management went overboard to allow me enough time before coming back to work to regroup myself. I know that alot was due to the fact that my wife had worked at UPS for 21 years and had a friendship with almost everyone. I know that when I get fed up with everyday occurances, I tend to look back to the kindness shown to me during this time before I open my mouth. Upper tier management might be heartless but local management has always tried to do the right thing unless you cross the line.
I'm so sorry for your loss HR.

Reluctance
by Robert Frost

Out through the fields and the woods
And over the walls I have wended;
I have climbed the hills of view
And looked at the world and descended;
I have come by the highway home,
And lo, it is ended.

The leaves are all dead on the ground,
Save those that the oak is keeping
To ravel them one by one
And let them go scraping and creeping
Out over the crusted snow,
When others are sleeping.

And the dead leaves lie huddled and still,
No longer blown hither and thither;
The last lone aster is gone;
The flowers of the witch-hazel wither;
The heart is still aching to seek,
But the feet question 'Whither?'

Ah, when to the heart of man
Was it ever less than a treason
To go with the drift of things,
To yield with a grace to reason,
And bow and accept the end
Of a love or a season?

yeldarb

I havent had anyone close die, but I received a planting pot arrangement on both the births of my kids. I think it mostly depends on the center manager.

I have been working for UPS for 25 years. This is the first time that I had a close family relative die. All the bosses knew it, too. However, I did not receive ANYTHING from UPS, not cards, not flowers. Just thought that was odd. My sister works for Walmart and they sent her tons of food and 3 huge flower arrangements. Have you ever received anything?
There is a link that can be filled out and flowers can be sent. Its was on upsers but I can not seem to find it now?

BUCN85

Not bereavement but I received flowers this summer when my first child was born. I felt it was a very nice gesture.

UPSJedi2112

I blast Rush in my truck.
My center manager sent my wife flowers last winter when she was in the hospital. He's a nicer guy than he gets credit for.

Future

Victory Ride
Mom died 16yrs ago....nice arrangement of flowers sent ....current center manager(at the time) and sup showed up......also a former center manager drove in (from his new building) about 90 miles away to offer condolences.

yeldarb

Haven't have anyone close die, however when both our kids were born, we got a nice arrangement of potted plants that we had for quite a few years after. I think it depends on the management at the time.

upsbeernut

Sometimes i feel like a nut sometimes i dont
Sorry for your loss, years ago a card gets signed and money contributions are made. Now nothing is said or done from the center management team, i think business as usual overrides any symphathy nowadays which is a crock of s. I personally go up and say something to the driver or manager that loss someone. Money cancels out personal loss.

oldngray

nowhere special
UPS used to be a lot different and management would do something if an employee had a death of a close relative but I'm not sure about whether they would still do that. At one time a center manager had discretionary funds for something like this but now if he did anything it would probably be out of his own pocket, and with most center manager's now those pockets are zipped shut.