Best Communication Tool

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Our center is pretty disorganized, and I have been trying to talk to people one on one to try and get everyone on the same page. I've been wanting to get everyone onto some messaging platform to be able to communicate union issues to the members more effectively and efficiently. I don't like texting, because there are just too many members, and I don't want to be getting alerts all day. I want to be able to send out info and respond to questions and concerns as time allows. We have big changes going on, and I am getting complaints from multiple members. I think now is the best time to start getting people involved, and I want to use the best tool I can to make that happen. Anyone else doing something like this in their center? Got any tips or suggestions?

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
The Discord app would be effective for something like that. I use it for a number of things. You can set up a private server and then have different rooms for different subjects or categories, or just have one general room. The server owner can set who can invite new members. You can pin messages and send alerts. You can set up voice chat rooms if desired and send private messages. It works on PC or mobile. Users can set individual preferences to even get notifications on their phone if they want. Might have a little trouble getting boomers on board with it all though.

Nah
Might have a little trouble getting boomers on board with it all though.
You pretty much said exactly what I was gonna say. One note on this remark though...

Boomers are more likely to be at the tail end of their careers and if they're not involved by now, they never will be. So it's not a huge loss if it's hard to get them to use it.

It's the young people you gotta get involved.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
Our center is pretty disorganized, and I have been trying to talk to people one on one to try and get everyone on the same page. I've been wanting to get everyone onto some messaging platform to be able to communicate union issues to the members more effectively and efficiently. I don't like texting, because there are just too many members, and I don't want to be getting alerts all day. I want to be able to send out info and respond to questions and concerns as time allows. We have big changes going on, and I am getting complaints from multiple members. I think now is the best time to start getting people involved, and I want to use the best tool I can to make that happen. Anyone else doing something like this in their center? Got any tips or suggestions?
I don’t know how many drivers you’re talking about but I have found that if you come in just a little early, you can see who hangs out with who, and just get the word to one guy in that group and ask them to pass it along. Also, there are always a few gossipy bitches that can reach the masses as well. I’ve had success using both.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I don’t know how many drivers you’re talking about but I have found that if you come in just a little early, you can see who hangs out with who, and just get the word to one guy in that group and ask them to pass it along. Also, there are always a few gossipy bitches that can reach the masses as well. I’ve had success using both.
Lmao…feeder has a few of those gossipy drama queens who think they are Larry King …

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Start a Facebook page like everybody else in the free world

542thruNthru

My steward made 5 txt groups of 13. One group is 22.4s.

He has specially said that the groups are for information and questions only. Anyone that keeps sending dumb gifs or political BS is removed. Also most are intimidated sending a question through the group so it cuts down on the same BS questions.

So far it's worked very well for him. People learn from others questions and he's able to send out blanket information easily.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck

He has specially said that the groups are for information and questions only. Anyone that keeps sending dumb gifs or political BS is removed. Also most are intimidated sending a question through the group so it cuts down on the same BS questions.

So far it's worked very well for him. People learn from others questions and he's able to send out blanket information easily.
It must be nice having a steward that’s smarter than your dumb arse.

542thruNthru

The Discord app would be effective for something like that. I use it for a number of things. You can set up a private server and then have different rooms for different subjects or categories, or just have one general room. The server owner can set who can invite new members. You can pin messages and send alerts. You can set up voice chat rooms if desired and send private messages. It works on PC or mobile. Users can set individual preferences to even get notifications on their phone if they want. Might have a little trouble getting boomers on board with it all though.
Hardest part would be getting everyone to download the app and get on the server. We can't even get them to vote and you think they'll do all that?

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
The only ones on discord are millennials drug dealers and mental patients

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Start a Facebook page like everybody else in the free world
We have a closed Facebook "group" with almost 650 UPSer's for my local.
One center in my building did this but management stalked them and made life miserable for what purpose it was supposed to serve.
Can you make it private somehow
You can but some safety team management suck up :censored2: will take screenshots for less stops. Never underestimate your co workers stupidity.
I never cared who read what I posted and still don't.....and sometimes you can work that dynamic to your advantage.

I use text threads for specific, time sensitive issues, then let them die.

They are more than often too exhausting for my taste.

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
The only ones on discord are millennials drug dealers and mental patients
giphy.gif

542thruNthru

We have a closed Facebook "group" with almost 650 UPSer's for my local.

I never cared who read what I posted and still don't.....and sometimes you can work that dynamic to your advantage.

I use text threads for specific, time sensitive issues, then let them die.

They are more than often too exhausting for my taste.
It's only for one center. 100 so driver's. A whole building would be extremely exhausting I'm sure.