BILLIONS

dudebro

Ideally we should train our replacements.
There should be some of that too, no one will know your route better than you do. But it is the function of management to ensure that the standards are upheld. Not that YOU personally would do this, but what if a driver taught methods that violated safety or package handling rules?

dudebro

The rank and file have blood and sweat invested in the company. Doing whatever it takes to get the job done. Your attitude (and our new manager) reminds me of why I only work hard enough not to get fired anymore.

As a management person, I don't think there is any valid argument against this statement. Here's what Jim Casey thought on wages:

1) "We must be prepared to pay high wages." (p 35 of the legacy book)
2) "We cannot hope to get more than we give. Even if there were no labor unions to demand it of us, it would be our duty to pay our people fairly, even liberally, and treat them decently in every other respect". (p 89).

That still applies today. 100,000 feeder / package drivers, 2,000 hours a year, is 200 million dollars. A dollar raise for every FT employee would cost about 1/24th of our profit. Raises are affordable, and where Amazon / FDX drivers are making less, well, that doesn't mean our drivers don't deserve it. It means theirs deserve a raise.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

There should be some of that too, no one will know your route better than you do. But it is the function of management to ensure that the standards are upheld. Not that YOU personally would do this, but what if a driver taught methods that violated safety or package handling rules?

Valid points.

On the other hand, what if the on car was teaching methods that violated safety or package handling rules?

happyman2018

As a management person, I don't think there is any valid argument against this statement. Here's what Jim Casey thought on wages:

1) "We must be prepared to pay high wages." (p 35 of the legacy book)
2) "We cannot hope to get more than we give. Even if there were no labor unions to demand it of us, it would be our duty to pay our people fairly, even liberally, and treat them decently in every other respect". (p 89).

That still applies today. 100,000 feeder / package drivers, 2,000 hours a year, is 200 million dollars. A dollar raise for every FT employee would cost about 1/24th of our profit. Raises are affordable, and where Amazon / FDX drivers are making less, well, that doesn't mean our drivers don't deserve it. It means theirs deserve a raise.
I believe that our drivers earn the rate that they are paid. I do not question the work ethic of union employees or that they are more skilled than their peers. Just like management there are good employees and bad employees. I am not compensated at the level of the folks on the board of directors. I am cool with that, I do not have their job and really would never want it. If I want that pay level then I should work toward having that position.

happyman2018

The rank and file have blood and sweat invested in the company. Doing whatever it takes to get the job done. Your attitude (and our new manager) reminds me of why I only work hard enough not to get fired anymore.
Far from a new manager my friend. By the way I have never met a car washer yet who works real hard. LMAO