Blame the non-voters?

CoffeeStainedUniform

Hoffa is CHOOSING to ratify the tentative agreement. He has that authority. He is LYING when he says he doesn't have a choice.
I agree completely, the language gives him that choice. After getting inundated with Vote yes in UPSRising for 3 months, it isn't a shock that they would ratify given any opportunity to do so.

I got more unbiased encouragement to vote by Management than IBT.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Tldr.

It wasn't a final offer. It wasn't a strike vote. If a majority doesn't pass it, negotiations continue.

Hoffa is CHOOSING to ratify the tentative agreement. He has that authority. He is LYING when he says he doesn't have a choice. He does.

Any Teamster representative who isn't pushing him to keep negotiating needs to be voted out.

Guess you should read it. It will take you five minutes, but if you still don't want to, here is the cliff notes version.

By the NNC and the International having the Local Unions meet to approve the TA, Section 2 (d) applies to the offer and sets the rules for voting since Hoffa invoked 2 (d) by having the 2 man meeting.

Disagree all you want. Read Section 2 (d).

What did the IBT do?

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
UPS members don't vote.

-Bug-

Why do you think that is? It sounds to me like 90+k upsers did vote. So why didn't the rest? People claim that it's not fair for a minority of the members to be able to vote a contract down, but it is fair for a group of members who do not participate to be able to overrule the majority of voting members. Blaming the active participants for the inactivity of the rest is one major reason people stop participating. If you can't accurately and precisely define the problem, you can never hope to fix it. All you're doing is shifting the blame from the leadership, who had a choice, to those of us who did everything we could do.

a911scanner

Non voters are yes votes or dont care. The 'No's always vote. If the contract was trully bad there would be alot more no votes.
upload_2018-10-13_13-16-52.jpeg

a911scanner

I know what the answer is.

People are afraid, of confronting the reality.

I think you know your vision of the answer, which may or may not be correct.

As I said in another post about a week ago, many Americans take the responsibility of voting for anything for granted. From not taking 15 minutes to acquire knowledge to formulate an opinion to just not caring and being apathetic do nothings. Or many other places in between.

The sad part is that many become disenfranchised, which will more than likely happen here. As a matter of fact, in the future, this result will not just effect UPSers but Teamsters as a whole. Furthermore, I would go on to speculate that unions across the US are going to feel the effects of this "ratification" for decades to come.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
@2033 you change your mind again?

No, why do you ask? I haven't really changed my mind, I'm simply increasing my understanding. A lot of people could benefit from doing the same. I agree that the negotiating committee had the right to determine the offer final, and they had the right to use subsection d, and Hoffa has the authority to interpret the entire article and enforce it as he saw fit. I also agree that according to both subsections d and b, based on the facts of the situation, the negotiating committee had no such requirement to ratify the contract, and to claim they did is a lie tantamount to fraud. All the power and decisions were with the leadership, but they continue to attempt to shift the blame onto the membership, saying we didn't vote, when 90 thousand of us did vote. They choose to tell us our votes don't matter because we didn't force our fellow members to vote? I think that about sums up the reality of the situation.