Brown Cafe Cruise Thread

hdkappler

went on a cruise to alaska this summer.when on yournext cruise ask the crew members on ship about there jobs.the ship i was on cabin steward works 10 months straight.with no days off 12-14hours a day.84hours a week at times.2mo.off.course some ships are luckier.3mo.straight 1mo.off.you think it;s bad working 50-55 hours a week.with 2 days off.6weeks vacation a year.cruise is nice but just think how lucky we are.

went on a cruise to alaska this summer.when on yournext cruise ask the crew members on ship about there jobs.the ship i was on cabin steward works 10 months straight.with no days off 12-14hours a day.84hours a week at times.2mo.off.course some ships are luckier.3mo.straight 1mo.off.you think it;s bad working 50-55 hours a week.with 2 days off.6weeks vacation a year.cruise is nice but just think how lucky we are.
What those crew members probably didn't tell you is that they make more money in those 3 months than they would in a year in their home land. Cruise ship jobs are in very high demand for the people from the so called "third world" countries. Don't get me wrong, none of them are getting rich, but they aren't hurting financially. They work hard for long hours, but not at a break-neck pace.

klein

Für Meno :)

Oh, I know ! I actually got the name of one, and she's on my msn list. She works 8 mths straight, with 5 weeks off. Her pay is redicously low, too. Just over $400 a month net, plus some commision (she operates the dutyfree shop). Besides that, only her accomadation is free on board, she even has to pay for botteld water. Nothing is free, she explained to me.
No food, nothing included.
Not sure about Alaska cruises, but she's on a caribbean one. I didn't see any US staff onboard. She herself is from Colombia, where $400 does go further, but still.....!!!!

Almost forgot to mention, those 5 weeks off she has, is with no holiday pay as well.
They don't get any. So, during her time off, she has no income at all !

Oh, I know ! I actually got the name of one, and she's on my msn list. She works 8 mths straight, with 5 weeks off. Her pay is redicously low, too. Just over $400 a month net, plus some commision (she operates the dutyfree shop). Besides that, only her accomadation is free on board, she even has to pay for botteld water. Nothing is free, she explained to me.
No food, nothing included.
Not sure about Alaska cruises, but she's on a caribbean one. I didn't see any US staff onboard. She herself is from Colombia, where $400 does go further, but still.....!!!!

Almost forgot to mention, those 5 weeks off she has, is with no holiday pay as well.
They don't get any. So, during her time off, she has no income at all !
That's what is bad about the jobs in the on board shops, they rarely receive tips. The cabin stewards do much better, from what I have been told.
So in 8 months, your friend makes $3,200 (in US dollars). In 2003 the average Columbian earned less than $2K.
Table 3: National Average Per Capita Income using Atlas method

117 Colombia 1,810
http://www.success-and-culture.net/articles/percapitaincome.shtml#data

klein

That's what is bad about the jobs in the on board shops, they rarely receive tips. The cabin stewards do much better, from what I have been told.
So in 8 months, your friend makes $3,200 (in US dollars). In 2003 the average Columbian earned less than $2K.
Table 3: National Average Per Capita Income using Atlas method

117 Colombia 1,810
http://www.success-and-culture.net/articles/percapitaincome.shtml#data

2003 is pretty hard to compare with 2010, considering it's a South American country, with much higher inflation rates then the north.
(for example you can probably get double digit interesst rates there, but if you get a head, is another whole question).

But, yes, it's probably comparable to a years wages there, and if I go again on her cruiseship, I'm bringing her a "carepackage" along. With snacks, etc, so she may not to have to buy her food and drinks on board a few times. And gives her other choices, then the same stuff over and over again. (chocolates are always good, too ) :)

klein

Will this "carepackage" have any "strings" attached?

Well, she is cute, has class, and is very, very friendly. Basically someone I would love to get to know better.
But, my first goal is just to make someone happy and smile.
For us a $25-$35 package is nothing, for her it's 3 days wages, plus the benefit and having a surprise and something else to snack on.

I went on the ship twice already. It was odd and nice, she remembered me the second time, without me even asking her if she did.
So, after I picked up my last order, I walked away, telling her, I hope we meet again, etc.....
But, then I just couldn't let it rest at that, and went back, and asked her if she had msn messenger, and sure enough she did, and she wrote it down for me.
I'm not in contact with her now, her 5 weeks vacation are up, and she can't use the internet on board (understandable - way too expensive for her little wages).

My intent is to be on that ship again in February.

hdkappler

Well, she is cute, has class, and is very, very friendly. Basically someone I would love to get to know better.
For us a $25-$35 package is nothing, for her it's 3 days wages, plus the benefit and having a surprise and something else to snack on.

I went on the ship twice already. It was odd and nice, she remembered me the second time, without me even asking her if she did.
So, after I picked up my last order, I walked away, telling her, I hope we meet again, etc.....
But, then I just couldn't let it rest at that, and went back, and asked her if she had msn messenger, and sure enough she did, and she wrote it down for me.
I'm not in contact with her now, her 5 weeks vacation are up, and she can't use the internet on board (understandable - way too expensive for her little wages).

i bet she wishes she had what an ups driver has.or ups employees have.

hdkappler

What those crew members probably didn't tell you is that they make more money in those 3 months than they would in a year in their home land. Cruise ship jobs are in very high demand for the people from the so called "third world" countries. Don't get me wrong, none of them are getting rich, but they aren't hurting financially. They work hard for long hours, but not at a break-neck pace.
reading something like this makes me feel how lucky i had it at ups.what do you think if these people had the chance we had at brown.think they would be happy.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
The last cruise I went on, the cabin steward made about $1000 a month. He was from India, but he lived like a king compared to most people there. His house was paid off, the only bill he paid was a $35 a month power bill. I think he would work a 6 month contract, and then go home for 2 or 3 months. I tipped him well, he was so astonished, he came back a gave me a bottle of champagne the last night. I tipped our waiter in the dining room too. I regret now that I didn't give a cash tip to the East European woman that made up our room every time we left it.

Oh your one of them... Must be tough.... Hang in there...

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
I thought that was friendIxEdAwg as in neutered. :wink2:
Ouch!

Scooby-Doo-neutered-2921.jpg

tonyexpress

Whac-A-Troll Patrol
Staff member
How about this one!

This one leaves out of Fort Lauderdale, Saturday, March 19th 2011.:wink2:

This is on "Carnival Miracle", this is an 8 night cruise.

These are great prices for 8 night cruise and this is a Southern Caribbean itinerary.

$579 for interior
$729 for oceanview
$799 for balcony (partically obstructed view)
$899 for balcony

Day Ports of Call ArrivalDeparture

Saturday, March 19, 2011 Fort Lauderdale, Florida--04:00 PM

Sunday, March 20, 2011Fun Day At Sea----

Monday, March 21, 2011Fun Day At Sea----

Tuesday, March 22, 2011St. Maarten, Netherlands Antilles 08:000 5:00PM

Wednesday, March 23, 2011St. Lucia, Caribbean09:00 AM05:00 PM

Thursday, March 24, 2011St. Kitts, St. Kitts And Nevis09:00 AM04:00 PM

Friday, March 25, 2011Fun Day At Sea----

Saturday, March 26, 2011Fun Day At Sea----

Sunday, March 27, 2011Fort Lauderdale, Florida08:00 AM--

Feedback please...Maybe this time of year will be easier to get off work...
There are other cruises out there and March/April is a good time for the Caribbean.:peaceful:

tonyexpress

Whac-A-Troll Patrol
Staff member
This one sets sail on 4/23/11

$789 for a balcony:wink2:..7 night on Carnival Dream

DayLocationArrivalDeparture

Saturday, April 23, 2011Port Canaveral (orlando), Florida--04:00 PM

Sunday, April 24, 2011Nassau, Bahamas08:30 AM02:00 PM

Monday, April 25, 2011Fun Day At Sea----

Tuesday, April 26, 2011St. Thomas, U.s. Virgin Islands10:00 AM08:00 PM

Wednesday, April 27, 2011St. Maarten, Netherlands Antilles08:00 AM06:00 PM

Thursday, April 28, 2011Fun Day At Sea----

Friday, April 29, 2011Fun Day At Sea----

Saturday, April 30, 2011Port Canaveral (orlando), Florida08:00 AM--

There are plenty more if anyone has any requests..:happy-very:

tonyexpress

Whac-A-Troll Patrol
Staff member
Yes, this same cruise leaves April 9th and gets back the 16th.

Another one leaves the 10th gets back the 17th and yet another leaves the 16th and gets back the 23rd.

There are many more...I've been using this website because of the search features buycruises.com and go to the "more search options" link, this way you can get more specific with the date, cruise line etc..

I've been selecting late March through mid May, selecting the Caribbean and selecting Carnival, Royal Caribbean and Celebrity cruise lines...You can add others or whatever..:peaceful: