Buckle up - July & 3rd quarter

BrownTie

3rd Quarter is about to start this Monday.. Cut Air Drivers, increase SPC, NDPPH, SPORH, blah, blah, blah. So, now my 9.5 will be harder to control, (53% of my Center), may have some late air, increase in over time which will bring forth more 9.5 drivers joining in. I have demonstrated that when I give the right dispatch, my drivers will bring it in, but yet they are not satisfied. What to do? Hello 3rd Quarter!

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
3rd Quarter is about to start this Monday.. Cut Air Drivers, increase SPC, NDPPH, SPORH, blah, blah, blah. So, now my 9.5 will be harder to control, (53% of my Center), may have some late air, increase in over time which will bring forth more 9.5 drivers joining in. I have demonstrated that when I give the right dispatch, my drivers will bring it in, but yet they are not satisfied. What to do? Hello 3rd Quarter!

Bluto's Advice - YouTube

BrownTie

I remember that Movie... You know Soberups, in my 20 years at UPS I could only be proud of 50% of my time as a UPS employee, the other 50%, well it feels as though I was drunk the entire time, because no matter how much I wanted to throw up, I just took another shot from the so called Planners of UPS.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Actually 3rd quarter started 4 weeks ago (July 1st).
But your points are still valid.

island1fox

Sounds like not only does not know what Q he is in --He has no idea that the Corporate Business plan is the sum of its parts.
What he is being asked to do --is what his --region -district-division-center-section -he -committed to do !!

BrownTie

Actually, every month feels like the 3rd quarter. I should have said that they are pushing more in August compared to July the start of the third quarter, I do understand the Corporate Business plan and that I have a very small part in contributing to the Business goal, but sometimes, when asked to contribute more because another center cannot is very frustrating.

BURMDPsupe

You know times are tight when corporate audits are being "delayed." I guess ATL doesn't want to pay the airfare, hotel and meals in the 3rd QTR.

M-

wkmac

The news gets even better. Just watched a report on RT about China's economy slowing. After years of 10% plus annual growth, it's drop to 7% and some question the numbers suggesting they are cooking the books to make it look as good as it is. A lot of eyes are on China because there are underlying issues in play that could cause that economic balloon to pop. With UPS having laid a lot of cards on the table over there, we may be in for an even rougher ride.

This is a watch and see.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
The news gets even better. Just watched a report on RT about China's economy slowing. After years of 10% plus annual growth, it's drop to 7% and some question the numbers suggesting they are cooking the books to make it look as good as it is. A lot of eyes are on China because there are underlying issues in play that could cause that economic balloon to pop. With UPS having laid a lot of cards on the table over there, we may be in for an even rougher ride.

This is a watch and see.

Actually, UPS strategy has been to "lay a lot of cards" in China but the China government has probably blocked 80% of that effort.
China only believes in Global Economy when it is made in China and consumed in China or elsewhere.

Want to buy some cheap airplane space? ... from the US to China is below cost.

Limper

Out For Delivery
For the last several years, the third quarter gets squeezed like no other. Every year it's a different reason/ theory out of corporate.
Declining savings from compounded improvements in safety, economic challenges domestically, economic challenges internationally, Chinese New Year, Operating day differences YOY, unknown pension accrual impact, declining savings from compounded productivity increases.......All reasons to squeeze more out of the rock in July and the third quarter.
I expect this coming week to hear from the controller - "The sky is falling."

Won't hear much about any dissatisfaction with the sales results. Premium products continue to decline, while sure post is coming out of our ears. There is some number they report - like they are 20% effective at getting 40% of their people on plan. It rolls off their tongue so slipperily, I usually miss it - even though I can't even grasp the concept of such a dismal number.

In any event - Operators, get lots of rest this weekend. Monday begins Hell Quarter.

I resurrected this thread to show newcomers to BC that posts can be smart and
pithy, not the canvas of knucklehead comments that it has become.

Last edited:

Alexcross774

Spinning my wheels.
I resurrected this thread to show newcomers to BC that posts can be smart and
pithy, not the canvas of knucklehead comments that it has become.
It will be interesting to see what happens this year. With all the hiring and promises of improvements, I wonder where the "targeted" areas to cut will be.

jeepguy63

Limper - thanks for resurrecting.

Gosh what a year it's been. Here is what I think now.
Just a guess.
With the disaster that was the forth quarter ly, 55GL will do everything it can by doing nothing different except "hope" q4 15 will be different.
Publicly, they have continued to cite the automation in the CA building (north bay I think) as the emblem of the key to peak 15. Sadly, that building is a less than 25K hub. In other words it is so small, it is insignificant to resolving any capacity constraints.
I could go on and on with pithy comments regarding the response to peak 2014...... It would just waste your time reading it.

Here is what I think about q3 and the normal, annual belt tightening. I don't think there will be the annual memo, freeze, cut up the Amex cards, etc. Reason.... I don't think there is anyone in any leadership position that wants their name on the memo stating what cannot be done, spent, etc leading up to peak. No one wants to be the person or department that threw a hindrance in front of a successful peak.
For example, a hiring freeze to save mgmt cost would eliminate replacements for turnover, reducing the mgmt staff available to plan, train, and execute peak. You can come up with your own scenarios, I'm sure.

No one, again, I mean no one wants to be in front of the Hail Mary pass called Peak 2014!

(Did I mention NO one?)