Buy Outs

ups clerk

This has been going around for the last month or so and is now gaining momentum.
Has anyone out there heard about UPS buying out members that were hired before 1982.
I have heard 5,000 dollars a year for every year of service for full timers and 2500 dollars for every year
of service for part timers.
I have also heard that Art 22.3 and drivers who were once part time, that we would get full time credit for all
years served. Ex. I have been full time, 13 years and Part time 22 years. Total would be 3500 dollars a month since
we get 100 dollars a year for every year of service.
BTW, we wouldn't get both. It is either or...or nothing...if this is all just a rumor.

I would be very interested in what you have heard out in your hub and centers.
By the way, our BA had heard about the buy out and said it is suppose to be "Sweet." Whatever that means.

Last edited:

Catatonic

Nine Lives
This has been going around for the last month or so and is now gaining momentum.
Has anyone out there heard about UPS buying out members that were hired before 1982.
I have heard 5,000 dollars a year for every year of service for full timers and 2500 dollars for every year
I have also heard that Art 22.3 and drivers who were once part time, that we would get full time credit for all
years served. Ex. I have been full time, 13 years and Part time 22 years. Total would be 3500 dollars a month since
BTW, we wouldn't get both. It is either or...or nothing...if this is all just a rumor.

By the way, our BA had heard about the buy out and said it is suppose to be "Sweet." Whatever that means.

Any rumor that has UPS buying out Teamster employees is not logical.
That is not going to happen.
The only way I see that happening was if it was in the contract and the give back from the Union employees would have to be something very significant financially.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Any rumor that has UPS buying out Teamster employees is not logical.
That is not going to happen.
The only way I see that happening was if it was in the contract and the give back from the Union employees would have to be something very significant financially.
You know, it's not logical ( and you probably have a better grasp on the hows and whys than I ),

.. but since when is UPS logical? ;)

Johney

I agree with Hoxster, if they were to put that in a contract anyone higher than 1982 would lose something and most likely something big. It would get voted down by the guys getting screwed so fast. I know in my building the people out number those guys by a large margin.

bigblu 2 you

i heard a rumor that ups is buying area 51 and offering employees hired before 1982 first crack at the new jobs there.....but seriously,ive been hearing the buyout rumors off and on for the last several years.makes for good banter.

over9five

Staff member
Every contract you hear this stupid rumor. WHY would they spend that kind of money when it's a lot cheaper to document little mistakes and simply fire you?

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Every contract you hear this stupid rumor. WHY would they spend that kind of money when it's a lot cheaper to document little mistakes and simply fire you?

Yeap, firing somebody is a lot cheaper than buying them out. A buyout just ain't gonna happen, the company doen't give a crap about any of its employees.

This will never never never never never reven never happen. If its not negotiated it ain't going to happen. This was no doubt started by some feeder driver somewhere as most rumors do start this way.

40 and out

A 40yr full-time employee gets a 200 grand buyout. That is 200 million for every 1000 buyouts. Why are you even spreading this crap? Sad part is 200 grand not nearly enough to enable me to quit.

BMWMC

B.C. boohoo buster.
A 40yr full-time employee gets a 200 grand buyout. That is 200 million for every 1000 buyouts. Why are you even spreading this crap? Sad part is 200 grand not nearly enough to enable me to quit.

$200,000,000 ?? UPS spends that on warning letters and discharge hearings. Drop in the bucket.

moreluck

golden ticket member
.................."Sad part is 200 grand not nearly enough to enable me to quit....................."

Good head on your shoulders to realize that........it's a fact for most people only they don't realize it's not enough 'til it's too late.

40 and out

.................."Sad part is 200 grand not nearly enough to enable me to quit....................."

Good head on your shoulders to realize that........it's a fact for most people only they don't realize it's not enough 'til it's too late.

Now if i could keep the rest of my body below my shoulders from falling apart:happy2:

If I had Fourty years and they offered me 200,000 to quit I would ask if they needed me to wash their car or something else. That would be to good to be true.

Johney

I can tell you that the guys in my building who were hired 1982 or sooner are retiring within the next year and have let everyone know. I'd bet it's the same elsewhere. Why spend all that cash on people who plan on leaving anyways? Hit the guys up with 20 to 25 years and you might have something. I have 24 in and if they offered me $100,000 to leave I'd be gone(that's just me though). Body is beat down, B.S. is at an all time high,wife has a great job....again I don't really see it happening at any level at least not to where UPS will benefit from it so we can keep dreaming.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Johney, let's assume for a second that you and I are co-workers and in the same pension fund. If UPS did offer and we both accepted the buyout of $100K neither of us would be eligible to start receiving what would be a reduced pension until we turn 65 as we have to have both 30 years of service and be at least 55 years old to receive a full pension. The $100K, which would be closer to $70K after taxes, would pay off my mortgage but I would still need income for my daily expenses. I could start to take withdrawals from my 401k but would prefer to leave that alone until I need it. I guess $100K would not be enough for me to leave.

W

want to retire

Johney, let's assume for a second that you and I are co-workers and in the same pension fund. If UPS did offer and we both accepted the buyout of $100K neither of us would be eligible to start receiving what would be a reduced pension until we turn 65 as we have to have both 30 years of service and be at least 55 years old to receive a full pension. The $100K, which would be closer to $70K after taxes, would pay off my mortgage but I would still need income for my daily expenses. I could start to take withdrawals from my 401k but would prefer to leave that alone until I need it. I guess $100K would not be enough for me to leave.

I have 30 full time years. I'm only (in 4 mo.)...50. We have 30 and out....any age. But-you have to be 57 to get insurance. 70k would buy alot of insurance! Or pay off my mortgage also. Anyway you look at it, a buy out would be very sweet indeed. Ok. But-the guys behind me(that would take my place) mostly have 20-25 years and they aren't going anywhere. The folks at the very top(some I actually have many more years in) aren't going anywhere, anytime soon. As much as I would LOVE a "buyout".......why would UPS offer it? In the end, the whole feeder dept. would have to leave(and a significant amount of pkg) to have a financial impact. How could the company deal with that. It is akin to the strike......just shut it down.......

ups clerk

I agree, bmwmc

There are 250,000 rank and file workers at UPS. If 10 per cent (25,000) were hired before 1982 and if they all took the buy out at say, 180,000 per person, it comes out to about 4.5 billion. This is if all 25 thousand took the buy out. There is a good chance not all of them would take it for whatever reason, which would make the total payout for UPS to give out, even less.
Remember, the last contract, UPS gave the teamsters 5 billion dollars to get out of Central States, and didn't even blink.

The buy out for UPS makes sense. People hired before 1982 are at top scale at 31 dollars or more per hour. UPS could hire 3 people at 10 dollars per hour to take one person's place. Remember too, that UPS doesn't have to pay insurance to these new hires. UPS would be coming ahead just by not having to pay insurance. Considering there is such a high turn over rate of new hires, the company would never have to pay insurance again. LOL

Also, guess who would also be coming out ahead in this deal. The Teamsters. Why? Because the teamsters start taking out union dues immediately when the person gets hired. Not only union dues, but also initiation fees. It used to be that we had to wait thirty days or 6 weeks before they took out union dues and initiation fees. So if a new hire quits after say three months, guess what, the union got their money and with another new hire taking the place of the guy who quit, the union will once again, take the dues and the initiation fees from this new hire...and so on and so forth.

This is all speculation of course, but we'll see what happens. Like some bloggers here said, if they offered me even 150 grand, I would be out of here in a heart beat.

Johney

upsclerk,
I assure you under your theory of UPS paying 3 people $10 an hour compared to one making $30+ the union would not be getting the dues they are now nor the membership.