C.I.R.—A Handy Guide

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
it’s absolutely faster, i used it in multiple centers during peak

Doing bargaining unit work ?

Assuming you were on the route cold, how were you able to go faster when you did not know anyone's last name?

Falsifying records.

My drivers say as long as you don't scan the 1 sure post package first and no other packages require a signature you can CIR.

Nope.

Sounds like you are clueless, and have an integrity problem in your center.

Drivers are signing for pkgs.

What are you going to do.... with the dishonest runner gunners ?

-Bug-

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
This sounds like a complete waste of time and effort to me.
The underlying problem is simple, and easy to fix. Which means, of course, that it never will be.
If no “€” symbol appears in EDD, you probably dont need a signature.
If a “€” does appear in EDD, you probably do need a signature.
But...you have no way of knowing for certain until after you hit stop complete.
I got burned bad last week delivering 3 packages to a school. There was a crying kid in the office, it was crowded, and some guy was trying to deliver a copier at the same time I was there. The recess bell rang and it was noisy, so when I used CIR and hit “stop complete” I did not hear the DIAD beep at me indicating that CIR was not allowed for one package.
I aleady had my next stop memorized, and I was scanning the area for kids rather than looking at my DIAD as I left. So I was 4 miles away by the time I realized that the stop had not been completed. I had to drive all the way back there to get a signature. The time I wasted doing that completely negated an entire month’s worth of time saved using CIR.
If CIR is to work, they need to fix the software bug so that we know without a doubt whether or not a signature is actually required at a given stop. And they need do a better job of explaining it to the customers by giving us pamphlets to hand out rather than expecting us to do it verbally.

soberups

The amount of pressure that is being placed upon management to generate the required compliance metric is unlike anything I have ever seen...way worse than ORION, RDO, Telematics, or any other new technology that we have ever implemented.
The last time my sup talked to me about it he was practically trembling and there was a desperate, frantic quality to his appeal. It was as if they had shoved a cattle prod up his ass and given him 40 volts for every “unneccesary” signature that I had obtained.
He is a nice guy, still young and naive, so I will go ahead and jump thru the silly hoops in order to spoon-feed him his number.

soberups

it was peak

also, have you ever done CIR? you sound like you have no idea what it’s like
So here is the scenario:
You have a package for a business.
You go inside and the person (whose last name you don’t know) in the office is on the phone.
She reaches for the DIAD out of habit.
Do you
(A) hold on to the DIAD and wait for her to hang up the phone in order to explain to her that you need her last name but not her signature, or
(B) Accept the signature and then get to hear your supervisor bitch and whine about a compliance metric the following morning, or
(C) Accept the signature and clarify the last name, and then erase the signature and use CIR and the last name you got off of the signature to complete the stop in order to generate the metric that your supervisor is chasing?
You are an IE guy and this is a real-world, legitimate methods question, so please enlighten us.

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
So here is the scenario:
You have a package for a business.
You go inside and the person (whose last name you don’t know) in the office is on the phone.
She reaches for the DIAD out of habit.
Do you
(A) hold on to the DIAD and wait for her to hang up the phone in order to explain to her that you need her last name but not her signature, or
(B) Accept the signature and then get to hear your supervisor bitch and whine about a compliance metric the following morning, or
(C) Accept the signature and clarify the last name, and then erase the signature and use CIR and the last name you got off of the signature to complete the stop in order to generate the metric that your supervisor is chasing?
You are an IE guy and this is a real-world, legitimate methods question, so please enlighten us.
i would ignore that she’s in a call and whisper “name?” and she’d tell me

before you say she wouldn’t answer, you’d have to ask her anyways to get the clarification, so boom, name, stop complete, move on with your day

ez pz

how do you not know this stuff? you’re supposed to be the professional....

also that third example is LOLCRAZY, how do you think this stuff up?

bumped

The CIR is really not that difficult. When you scan the packages look at the screen with the packages sheeted in for a business stop. If it says Signature may be required, that means a signature will always be required.

No One on hwy9

We get paid by the hour. If a bunch of reality detached people wanna make some severely flawed system why fight it? When it wastes time, send em a thank you card.

Dragon

Package Center Manager
Doing bargaining unit work ?

Falsifying records.

Nope.

Sounds like you are clueless, and have an integrity problem in your center.

Drivers are signing for pkgs.

What are you going to do.... with the dishonest runner gunners ?

-Bug-

Typical Union Bad A//...couldn't run a business even if his daddy owned it..but sure can tell you how to run yours...but that is why you work for us and not the other way around.

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
Typical Union Bad A//...couldn't run a business even if his daddy owned it..but sure can tell you how to run yours...but that is why you work for us and not the other way around.
I have been called into the office and been accused of being an”Union badass “ before. Is this common practice???

soberups

The CIR is really not that difficult. When you scan the packages look at the screen with the packages sheeted in for a business stop. If it says Signature may be required, that means a signature will always be required.
Not always.

soberups

i would ignore that she’s in a call and whisper “name?” and she’d tell me

before you say she wouldn’t answer, you’d have to ask her anyways to get the clarification, so boom, name, stop complete, move on with your day

ez pz

how do you not know this stuff? you’re supposed to be the professional....

also that third example is LOLCRAZY, how do you think this stuff up?
Um...no.
Customers are accustomed to signing while on the phone.
I’m not going to interrupt someones business call. If they sign I will point to the signature if I cant read it.
Did the people who came up with this give any thought to the fact that customers will have questions? Or be confused by the change in procedure?
Yes, it is stupid to erase a signature in order to enter CIR. But what is even more stupid is to go live on this program without first working out the bugs in the software and giving the drivers some pamphlets to hand out so that we arent having to explain this.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Without reading most of the previous posts here are my thoughts on CIR. Select receiver 1, 2 or 3 or manually enter name. If you are already walking out to vehicle and it asks for a signature, scratch a line or 2 on signature screen, and move on. Why care?

Just like anything else at UPS, they ruin a good thing by force feeding it. I'd love it as an option, but threatening discipline for getting an unnecessary signature is stupid. I have 3 or 4 customers who really want to sign, whats the big deal? Why cant we let em sign if it makes em feel better?

I don't mind the ones that alert you right away that you will need a signature, but like SOBER I have been burned several times a day by stops that don't tell you until you try to complete it that the stop is not CIR eligible. Especially after you give them the whole speech about the change in procedure.

I’ve had a few warehouse managers get in my face about not getting signatures. I ask them if I can have some toner or curtains or perfume (bleg) and they get all up in arms. Please, it’s a paid for service. Why would they expect to get it for free?

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
Um...no.
Customers are accustomed to signing while on the phone.
I’m not going to interrupt someones business call. If they sign I will point to the signature if I cant read it.
Did the people who came up with this give any thought to the fact that customers will have questions? Or be confused by the change in procedure?
Yes, it is stupid to erase a signature in order to enter CIR. But what is even more stupid is to go live on this program without first working out the bugs in the software and giving the drivers some pamphlets to hand out so that we arent having to explain this.
i didn’t run into a single customer who gave a :censored2: about anything except that they got the package i was delivering

i guess you live in a magical place where customers care about our procedures, you have my sympathies for the difficult choices you must make daily
o7