California increase in minimum wage

FedupExpress

We got Nexx burger truck and a 50 cent raise this year.

Irvine, California
Nexxburger-Food-Truck-e1655397542571-588347184.jpg

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
And CA isn't mandating prosperity. They are mandating businesses pay a more livable wage ($20/hr).
You know how you and others constantly complain that if FedEx gives you something, they offset it by taking something else of equal or greater value?

Boy do I have some bad news for you about this stuff in CA.

59 Dano

So true. After I was rehired at $10.85hr I worked almost 15 years before quitting again and left at $18.17hr. The company never intended for us to prosper.
It intended for me to prosper.

EDIT
Well, maybe not. It offered various career paths and I chose one that I liked because it paid better than being a courier. I don't know if FedEx intended for me to prosper or not. All I know is the company didn't keep me chained to one position and effectively told me if I didn't like the pay, find something else to do. So I did.

Last edited:

vantexan

It intended for me to prosper.

EDIT
Well, maybe not. It offered various career paths and I chose one that I liked because it paid better than being a courier. I don't know if FedEx intended for me to prosper or not. All I know is the company didn't keep me chained to one position and effectively told me if I didn't like the pay, find something else to do. So I did.
That's great. However there are a lot of courier positions and a lot less of the ones you have. And a lot of us aren't interested in moving up the ladder. Yeah, I know, we would then have to be satisfied with what we get. The company made a lot of promises to keep us at it. Never expected them to give me UPS pay. But when after 10 years they started giving 2% raises to those of us in midrange while giving topped out couriers 3% raises on higher pay, watched any hope of ever catching top out sail away. 10,11,12 or more years with the company and not making much more than starting pay while top out was $6hr more and getting further away. There are plenty of reasons why people on here are very angry. All this was done so that they could build up Ground to make themselves richer. Couriers, CSA's too, were only to be used as a means to that end. Our future, important to us, didn't matter to them. This is an outfit that uses people. A far cry from the company I started with but hindsight being 20/20 I think all the benefits and better pay structure at that time was just to lure quality people in to build the brand. I'm glad it worked for you but please remember courier work is the foundation of this company. Taking care of the people who take care of you used to be a guiding principle. Now it's dog eat dog and if you don't like it go work at McDonald's. Pretty sad.

59 Dano

That's great. However there are a lot of courier positions and a lot less of the ones you have. And a lot of us aren't interested in moving up the ladder. ... Now it's dog eat dog and if you don't like it go work at McDonald's.

It was always like that. Who are you kidding?

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
So true. After I was rehired at $10.85hr I worked almost 15 years before quitting again and left at $18.17hr. The company never intended for us to prosper.
Do you really feel like that is a function of a major corporation?

Capitalism puts the prosperity of the company first. No one prospers if there is no company. Rugged individualism is what you seek.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
If he does in 2 years he will lose both houses of Congress and the GOP majority in most state houses and governors races. Several members of his staff have stated that Trump was told that he had lost the election and admitted privately that he had lost the election . We will soon learn if his claim of presidential immunity stands or not.
In the meantime try answering this question: How many crimes should a president be allowed to commit and still be deserving of a nation's forgiveness?
You mean, after he's established himself as dictator? There won't BE a Congress according to the liberal hivemind.

And, if a President who's been ACCUSED of crimes is re-elected by the people, it follows that they've already forgiven him.

vantexan

Do you really feel like that is a function of a major corporation?

Capitalism puts the prosperity of the company first. No one prospers if there is no company. Rugged individualism is what you seek.
I get all that. But if the shoe were on the other foot I wouldn't lie to my employees to keep them working for me. If they can't make the money without exploiting people then maybe they shouldn't be in business. If the be all, end all of everything is how wealthy business owners can get and they do so at the expense of others then something is terribly wrong.

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
I get all that. But if the shoe were on the other foot I wouldn't lie to my employees to keep them working for me. If they can't make the money without exploiting people then maybe they shouldn't be in business. If the be all, end all of everything is how wealthy business owners can get and they do so at the expense of others then something is terribly wrong.
Settle down, Lil’ Ricky. Lol

vantexan

Settle down, Lil’ Ricky. Lol
I have no problem with people getting wealthy by starting and growing a business. I do have a problem with them exploiting others to do so. I never enjoyed the union protections you did, and my company went to great lengths to make sure we never did.

UnionStrong

I have no problem with people getting wealthy by starting and growing a business. I do have a problem with them exploiting others to do so. I never enjoyed the union protections you did, and my company went to great lengths to make sure we never did.
That’s on the workers then. They should have stood up instead of falling for the BS the company told them….no?

vantexan

That’s on the workers then. They should have stood up instead of falling for the BS the company told them….no?
The company gave us decent pay and benefits for awhile. There was serious talk of a union in '97 but the company finally after 4+ years came up with significant raises for topped out starting in '98 and all that fell apart. At the same time we found out that being covered under the Railroad Labor Act meant that we could only unionize with a national vote. No unionizing station by station. Since the topped out were happy with the major adjustments they got the union talk died down until about 2010. Not only did the company beat that but they got the rules tightened up to where it's almost impossible to have a national vote. The Teamsters walked away at that point. It's not for nothing that FedEx bought the naming rights to the Washington Redskins stadium. They wined and dined a lot of Congressmen in those luxury boxes.

UnionStrong

The company gave us decent pay and benefits for awhile. There was serious talk of a union in '97 but the company finally after 4+ years came up with significant raises for topped out starting in '98 and all that fell apart. At the same time we found out that being covered under the Railroad Labor Act meant that we could only unionize with a national vote. No unionizing station by station. Since the topped out were happy with the major adjustments they got the union talk died down until about 2010. Not only did the company beat that but they got the rules tightened up to where it's almost impossible to have a national vote. The Teamsters walked away at that point. It's not for nothing that FedEx bought the naming rights to the Washington Redskins stadium. They wined and dined a lot of Congressmen in those luxury boxes.
Yeah, i remember when couriers got paid close to what we got, in the early 90s. It was a really good job. That step raise BS without a definite time frame was ridiculous.

vantexan

Yeah, i remember when couriers got paid close to what we got, in the early 90s. It was a really good job. That step raise BS without a definite time frame was ridiculous.
I topped out in 1990 after 23 months. Not long after they stretched it to four years. Eventually 10. Then infinity. Giving us either no raises or 2% raises. I shouldn't have quit but making $13.50hr in Colorado after 4 years no raises broke me.