Call hotline or not?

Sspuds224

I recently had a heated convo with the (center manager) while speaking of my work performance. During the exchange of words he stated "I'll hang you"! I immediately got a shop steward involved and filed a grievance the following day. So now I'm waiting to see what action is going to take place. My question is.....Should I call the hotline and make this incident known to individuals outside of the center?

fres431

Grieve it pen to paper contact ba inform him what happened. Hotline is a complete joke! It's supposedly independent from ups but it ain't. Been there done that won't do it again. Just cover you butt on doing stuff and don't give management any fire power. KNOW the contract!

I recently had a heated convo with the (center manager) while speaking of my work performance. During the exchange of words he stated "I'll hang you"! I immediately got a shop steward involved and filed a grievance the following day. So now I'm waiting to see what action is going to take place. My question is.....Should I call the hotline and make this incident known to individuals outside of the center?
If you call the hotline and you file a grievance they will defer to the grievance procedure. There is another number you can call though that goes above the hotline number. Pm me if you want this number. It's the number you call when you want to get some real attention.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Sadly to say it, it's gotten to the point where if you are in the office with a supe or center manager n a steward is there, you video record the whole thing on your phone. You let them know that you are recording it to protect yourself in case you have to take any legal action. That is permissible in a court of law. Probably against the law to record without their knowledge. Might sound over the top to do this but you know how shady n dishonest they are.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Sadly to say it, it's gotten to the point where if you are in the office with a supe or center manager n a steward is there, you video record the whole thing on your phone. You let them know that you are recording it to protect yourself in case you have to take any legal action. That is permissible in a court of law. Probably against the law to record without their knowledge. Might sound over the top to do this but you know how shady n dishonest they are.
Yep stewards are!

BrownT-beggar

You'll learn; 1day
For future reference never get in a "heated" convo with any mangement (they'll get you for unprofessional conduct).
Been there done that in early years, the faster you learn to look them in the eyes and be a "yes sir,no sir " the quicker they'll move on to the next person with their tails tucked in their :censored2: ;)*
As for anything said in your convo with your centre manger, without any witness (or recording) then.... It's all hear-say for BOTH sides, which can sometimes work in your favour ;)*

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I wasn't aware that you could record on ups property... Has something changed in the last few years???

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Sorry to bring this up but if you are black that mgr is toast....but if they both are black they just give each other some hand jive call it good...I wonder if that has ever happen in the history of ups.. Lol

Last edited:

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
I wasn't aware that you could record on ups property... Has something changed in the last few years???
In a case like that you can as long as you let all parties involved what your doing. I would imagine if you didnt tell them and tried to use it in court without their knowledge it could be entrapment.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
In a case like that you can as long as you let all parties involved what your doing. I would imagine if you didnt tell them and tried to use it in court without their knowledge it could be entrapment.

No you can't.

Whether all parties know it is being recorded or not.

Bring out your phone to record and the center manager will tell you not to record this meeting. If you proceed to start recording the meeting, you will be terminated immediately.

The Steward present is your witness and is the only thing needed to proceed with workplace violence charges against your center manager.

If my center manager told me he was going to hang me, I would have immediately left UPS property and made 3 phone calls in this order.

1 Local Police
2 Corporate
3 BA

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
Your Steward is there( amongst other things) to take notes and serve as your witness. Recording on Property is a very easy way to get terminated

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt

This issue pops up, from time to time.

It was covered here on the Cafe.

http://www.browncafe.com/community/threads/dan-oshea.103824/

https://web.archive.org/web/20071124203649/http://www.thedarkersideofbrown.com/

Sometimes, it takes me a minute to remember the guys name.

-Bug-

Your Steward is there( amongst other things) to take notes and serve as your witness. Recording on Property is a very easy way to get terminated
Yes there are decisions on this and it always goes against the person who records the conversation who is a union member. It's off limits.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
If you call the hotline and you file a grievance they will defer to the grievance procedure. There is another number you can call though that goes above the hotline number. Pm me if you want this number. It's the number you call when you want to get some real attention.
Send me that number, @ leadbelly, just in case i missed one. Yes the hotline is a total bs joke. Just gives mgmt heads up you are p'oed.