Calling all Wellness co-chairs...

Integrity

Binge Poster
A safe work environment means discipline. Both kinds.....like the firing people type and safe work methods and practices. You really have no idea how the Machine works....do you? It's lubricated with productivity and heavy threats/disciplinary action.

The union doesn't like the firing kind. Understandable. So, the union resists any and all attempts at anything. Even if it would save lives. Example: We had several fatalities in our District. Nary a word from either side. Union brothers......killed. Nothing. This SOP is LEGEND.

Safe work methods and practices are expected/demanded by the company. But....if they interfere with productivity(costs/expenses)......they can and will be overlooked.

The safety committee is a 60 job. The Co-Chair used the position to fill out their 60 hours. Often there are trips and luncheons and such. Golf cart rides......lot's of quality A/C time. You bet. And since the Co-Chair is a steward...... lot's of union payed time off from the truck. You bet. Heck, we had a person on light duty go over 60 with "office/safety stuff". One of the retired safety co-chairs is working closely with mgt as a contractor....just like in their steward/co-chair days. Yep, closely. This work could be done by hourly union folks....easily. Is this payback for all he did for mgt as a steward? Who did he sell down the river?

See?
What have you personally done to address this alleged corruption of the Safety Committee Process?

Integrity

Binge Poster
Just finished my 35th peak so I kinda know what’s going on, but I digress.
In our building it doesn’t work that way but I understand it’s not the same everywhere. You can either have a seat at the table, or just complain about things that are unsafe.
What has been your experience collectively bargained for Safety Committees?

Integrity

Binge Poster
You’re not grasping the purpose of the
“Safety committee” Ups doesn’t give 2
:censored2:s about safety committee neither does the union
The only reason they exist is because OSHA mandated it. they treat it as an annoyance and give it a little lip service once in awhile
So you can quit whining and crying about
How awful safety committees are it’s old news
In my area the Union cares very much about keeping corruption out of the Safety Committee Process.

El Correcto

god is dead
You couldn't be more wrong, I believe.

Safety and wellness is everyone's concern. From the visitor to the highest levels of mgt.

Any "union" employees safety concern is anyone else's. We don't separate fatalities by mgt or hourly union.

My experience: The company has an agenda for the safety committees. So does the union. They don't collide very often.

The Safety Co-Chair follows this company agenda or it doesn't happen. Every safety meeting I ever attended was rigidly structured and planned. A set of minutes and paperwork was submitted. Rarely if ever was any other concerns addressed or discussed.
Nope, safety committee is ran by hourlies, management just mostly shuts up and listens. Concerns are documented by steward witnesses and addressed daily/weekly/monthly.
Hourlies set the agenda, fill out concern logs, discusses it with the center manager.
They still have the agenda but what gets discussed is up to the hourlies.

I’ve seen multiple committees over the years and they are getting better here. It just takes a steward who is willing to say no to management on it and a local willing to back that steward up.

El Correcto

god is dead
UPS does it to keep OSHA happy and while doing that use it to reward their "favorite" employees with some easy money.
UPS shouldn’t be deciding what hourlies go on the committee. BA, stewards and the union side of the committee should. Anyone who tries to go through management to get on instead of proper channels should be blacklisted from the committee.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Nope, safety committee is ran by hourlies, management just mostly shuts up and listens. Concerns are documented by steward witnesses and addressed daily/weekly/monthly.
Hourlies set the agenda, fill out concern logs, discusses it with the center manager.

I’ve seen multiple committees over the years and they are getting better here. It just takes a steward who is willing to say no to management on it and a local willing to back that steward up.

That’s great they talk about putting cones here and there and making an employee of
the month parking spot

But do they ever do anything meaningful they’ve got people falling out from the heat all summer how about addressing that.
I would say that’s a safety concern

oldngray

nowhere special
That’s great they talk about putting cones here and there and making an employee of
the month parking spot

But do they ever do anything meaningful they’ve got people falling out from the heat all summer how about addressing that.
They can make recommendations and play their silly games but they have no power to really do anything. Management will listen to them then quickly ignore any changes that would impact the bottom line.

qdg2

Nope. Not here.
The above is so devoid of reality here.

BA/stewards know what's going on. The steward is placed there by the UNION!

Concerns are documented....just never addressed. They go on and on.....year after year. Tragedy after tragedy.

Staydryitsraining

So we all know co chairs for the most part find any way to stay off the road and are pretty much ors's now. My question is back in the good old days where people used to get their asses beat without fear of job loss and it was just understood that hey were gonna fight and that's going to be the end of it. Was anyone ever around or know about these co chairs getting their asses kicked in the parking lot for being considered traders?

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
So we all know co chairs for the most part find any way to stay off the road and are pretty much ors's now. My question is back in the good old days where people used to get their asses beat without fear of job loss and it was just understood that hey were gonna fight and that's going to be the end of it. Was anyone ever around or know about these co chairs getting their asses kicked in the parking lot for being considered traders?

No did see 2 part timers beat the hell out
of each other in the parking lot over a bag of weed
(In there defense it was good weed)

El Correcto

god is dead
the month parking spot

The safety committee is basically just all documentation. Same thing as a harassment grievance. Are you going to get paid from it? No, but it just establishes a written trail of management ignoring safety concerns. At the end of the day we are still hourlies, management is still management, we can’t force them to do anything, including keeping the committee running, but we can just document and have conversations with them on equal footing.

That’s literally all the committee is, is just hourlies doing audits on ups and documenting. The rest of it is just local politics and practices.

El Correcto

god is dead
I’m just trying to say safety committee here has been pretty decent as far as safety committees go.
It isn’t just a bunch of lunch skipping management drivers harassing other hourlies and using their committee positions for easy inside the building work on heavy days, which is what used to happen when I started here.

MECH-lift

Union Brother ✊🧔 RPCD
Center manager: Congratulations on your new wellness committee position thank you!

@samcrooks : thanks sir I’ll do my best! I love safety and wellness.

Center manager: ohhhh by the way hey can you run these misloads for me out of your personal vehicle?

@samcrooks : uhm yes sir anything for you!

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂