Calling all Wellness co-chairs...

MECH-lift

Union Brother ✊🧔 RPCD
UPS drivers have been doing the same job for years without technology & A/C, yet they've survived. It's not for everybody. Take care of yourself. Advocate for yourself. Pay attention to safety info, perhaps take it seriously for preventive care.
b🤬 I know more about this place than you ever will

You’ve never even driven a UPS truck….Get a real job.
✊🧔‍♂️

b🤬 I know more about this place than you ever will

You’ve never even driven a UPS truck….Get a real job.
✊🧔‍♂️
I never claimed to have known more about UPS than you did. I have driven one of the package cars actually, lol. I wanted more time in the warehouse & now I wait. I have made a career change & have chosen to "get a real job", so here I am like most at UPS, I'm working my way up to that. Don't assume you know everything about a person from a post. I have 20 years experience in the transportation & logistics industry where I started from the bottom & worked my way up. So I know both sides of how most corporations operate. Went to school for something else, decided I like grunt work & manual labor more. I'm not stupid or naive, I have experience & education. You don't see me insulting you though.

I never claimed to have known more about UPS than you did. I have driven one of the package cars actually, lol. I wanted more time in the warehouse & now I wait. I have made a career change & have chosen to "get a real job", so here I am like most at UPS, I'm working my way up to that. Don't assume you know everything about a person from a post. I have 20 years experience in the transportation & logistics industry where I started from the bottom & worked my way up. So I know both sides of how most corporations operate. Went to school for something else, decided I like grunt work & manual labor more. I'm not stupid or naive, I have experience & education. You don't see me insulting you though.
Settle down
He is an RPCD

El Correcto

god is dead
I think the whole practice of the safety committee is a sham. Even if you get a good co-chair who isn’t just in it for the perks, and good committee members who care, they are very limited to what they can do to fix safety issues.

There is always push back from management, and too much management control of the safety committee. To the point that nothing gets done, except for paperwork and documentation that management tries to use against the employees later on.

I have seen safety committee giving answers to quizzes and compliance training and having employees sign that they understand the material when they don’t. I have seen safety people tell employees to log in and the safety person do the compliance for the employee while they are working.

I have seen safety people riding around with management doing observations on drivers.

I have seen safety committees at the gate passing out candy and soda for a week straight in the summertime. For breakfast. How about some fruit or some water/Gatorade?

So many dishonest and scummy things going on that they need to scrap the whole thing and start over.
Safety committee shouldn’t be doing observations. That’s something to take up with your local.
I'm not safety I'm in wellness! This is what I imagine you being like. Lol

yes it’s the safety and wellness committee.
Each one has a co-chair but they are under the same thing.

Safety committee shouldn’t be doing observations. That’s something to take up with your local.

yes it’s the safety and wellness committee.
Each one has a co-chair but they are under the same thing.
Thank you. I'll bring that up to the Occupational Health rep that has trained us. She emphasized we are 2 separate entities. We can collaborate with topics that are the same for the month, but we aren't supposed to be doing what safety co-chair does. I appreciate your helpful advice!

Cowboy Mac

Man, some of y'all are petty & bitter af! Original post asked about wellness stuff. Why respond if you don't have anything to contribute that's beneficial to said topic? If you just need to vent about your problems, what you hate about your job & life, or just need to be heard & validated; I'll be happy to put you in touch with your center's wellness co-chair to help you find a therapist. If not, back away from the keyboard & go about your business.
Why don’t you get a few more years under your belt? Then you’ll understand safety committee is a waste of time. The best thing you can do is dump all the paperwork and talk to people about being safe for them selves and their family. You don’t need an OT committee to do that

P700slave

They are a joke only put in place after osha got up they ass

Bring up a change you’d like to see made and see where it goes

I stand by my statement nothing but a circlejerk
Not in my building. Depends on the center manager you have. I am a 34 year employee and have ben a co-chair since 95. Get things changed quite a bit. Im honored to help my fellow union employees stay away from injuries or accidents. The only thing people ascertain from statements like yours above is either ignorance or stupidity. Grow up.

Staydryitsraining

:censored2: the co chairs, every one of them. :censored2: the safety committees, every member of them. "I actually care about the safety and inability of grown men to assess their own health so I come in early and make smoothies and hand out liquid iv.

Integrity

Binge Poster
Safety committees are not required.
The following is the collectively bargained, contractually binding parameters of the UPS/Teamsters Co-Chaired Safety Committee.

Safety Committee

Section 20.4 Safety and Health Committees

There shall be Safety and Health Committees to cover all full-time and part-time employees. There shall be one (1) committee per Center unless the number of employees and/or job classifications within a center dictate the establishment of more than one (1) com- mittee. The respective committees will be comprised of a mutually agreed to number of bargaining unit representatives and up to an equal number of management representatives.

Recognizing the importance of the role of the Safety and Health Committees in resolving the issues of safety, the Employer and the Union reaffirm their commitment to the active involvement of the Committees in such processes, in accordance with the terms of this Article.

The Local Union shall approve the bargaining unit members who serve on these Committees. The Union co-chair of the commit- tee(s) shall be selected by the bargaining unit members of the com- mittee. In the event that a Local Union desires to cease participation

- 63 -

in the safety committees, prior approval must be authorized by the Union Co-Chair of the Teamsters United Parcel Service National Negotiating Committee who shall also inform the Employer’s Pres- ident of Labor Relations of the request.

Both parties recognize and reaffirm the importance of maintaining properly functioning Safety and Health Committees and shall make a good faith effort to work out any differences prior to requesting authorization to cease participation.

Bargaining unit members may not perform Safety Committee ob- servations or access personnel records of fellow bargaining unit members that can be interpreted as being a management role. Safe- ty Committee observations shall only be performed to further the purposes of that Committee as defined in this section and to pro- mote a safer work environment. Activities will be reviewed with the Local Union. Under no circumstances can the results of a Safe- ty Committee observation be used in any level of discipline, nor reference any individual bargaining unit member.

Each committee shall meet at least once each month at a mutually agreeable time and place. The Employer shall provide committee members with adequate time to perform committee functions, as described in paragraphs 1 through 7 below.

Each committee shall perform functions including, but not limited to:

1. Creating sub-committees, on an as needed basis, to investigate specific issues of safety and health concern. These committees shall report to the full committee.

2. Developing and maintaining minutes for all meetings, with cop- ies to all committee members and posted on designated safety bul- letin boards.

3. Conducting periodic inspections of the facility to ensure that there is a safe, healthful and sanitary working environment in each center.

- 64 -

4. Accompanying governmental, union, and/or Company health and safety professionals on facility inspection tours. The Employer may limit the number of bargaining unit members of the committee accompanying such an inspection tour.

5. Receiving information pertaining to lost workday injury/acci- dent causes and review results of the investigation of such injuries/ accidents.

6. Receiving copies of the center’s OSHA Illness and Injury logs and the facility’s man-hours.

7. ReceivingtheCompanysponsoredtrainingtoenablecommittee members to effectively perform their respective functions as safety and health committee members.

Any information provided to a CHSP committee will not be shared outside the committee without the Employer’s consent.

If the committee is unable to resolve a safety and health concern and all steps of the Comprehensive Health and Safety Process (CHSP) have been exhausted, the issue will be subject to the grievance procedure.

Any questions?

Sincerely,
I

542thruNthru

The following is the collectively bargained, contractually binding parameters of the UPS/Teamsters Co-Chaired Safety Committee.

Safety Committee

Section 20.4 Safety and Health Committees

There shall be Safety and Health Committees to cover all full-time and part-time employees. There shall be one (1) committee per Center unless the number of employees and/or job classifications within a center dictate the establishment of more than one (1) com- mittee. The respective committees will be comprised of a mutually agreed to number of bargaining unit representatives and up to an equal number of management representatives.

Recognizing the importance of the role of the Safety and Health Committees in resolving the issues of safety, the Employer and the Union reaffirm their commitment to the active involvement of the Committees in such processes, in accordance with the terms of this Article.

The Local Union shall approve the bargaining unit members who serve on these Committees. The Union co-chair of the commit- tee(s) shall be selected by the bargaining unit members of the com- mittee. In the event that a Local Union desires to cease participation

- 63 -

in the safety committees, prior approval must be authorized by the Union Co-Chair of the Teamsters United Parcel Service National Negotiating Committee who shall also inform the Employer’s Pres- ident of Labor Relations of the request.

Both parties recognize and reaffirm the importance of maintaining properly functioning Safety and Health Committees and shall make a good faith effort to work out any differences prior to requesting authorization to cease participation.

Bargaining unit members may not perform Safety Committee ob- servations or access personnel records of fellow bargaining unit members that can be interpreted as being a management role. Safe- ty Committee observations shall only be performed to further the purposes of that Committee as defined in this section and to pro- mote a safer work environment. Activities will be reviewed with the Local Union. Under no circumstances can the results of a Safe- ty Committee observation be used in any level of discipline, nor reference any individual bargaining unit member.

Each committee shall meet at least once each month at a mutually agreeable time and place. The Employer shall provide committee members with adequate time to perform committee functions, as described in paragraphs 1 through 7 below.

Each committee shall perform functions including, but not limited to:

1. Creating sub-committees, on an as needed basis, to investigate specific issues of safety and health concern. These committees shall report to the full committee.

2. Developing and maintaining minutes for all meetings, with cop- ies to all committee members and posted on designated safety bul- letin boards.

3. Conducting periodic inspections of the facility to ensure that there is a safe, healthful and sanitary working environment in each center.

- 64 -

4. Accompanying governmental, union, and/or Company health and safety professionals on facility inspection tours. The Employer may limit the number of bargaining unit members of the committee accompanying such an inspection tour.

5. Receiving information pertaining to lost workday injury/acci- dent causes and review results of the investigation of such injuries/ accidents.

6. Receiving copies of the center’s OSHA Illness and Injury logs and the facility’s man-hours.

7. ReceivingtheCompanysponsoredtrainingtoenablecommittee members to effectively perform their respective functions as safety and health committee members.

Any information provided to a CHSP committee will not be shared outside the committee without the Employer’s consent.

If the committee is unable to resolve a safety and health concern and all steps of the Comprehensive Health and Safety Process (CHSP) have been exhausted, the issue will be subject to the grievance procedure.

Any questions?

Sincerely,
I
In the event that a Local Union desires to cease participation...

Required?

Integrity

Binge Poster
In the event that a Local Union desires to cease participation...

Required?
Yes and no.

In the event that a Local Union desires to cease participation in the safety committees, prior approval must be authorized by the Union Co-Chair of the Teamsters United Parcel Service National Negotiating Committee who shall also inform the Employer’s President of Labor Relations of the request.