Can a Mechanic become a Feeder Driver?

brown67

We had a package/feeder job open up in our center. I'm a driver and was told I won the bid. However, a mechanic with a little more seniority than me also bid and is trying to say it should be his bid. I didn't think mechanics could move to feeders. Anyone heard of a mechanic moving to feeders?

tritese

tritese
i have been told for years in our hub that mechanics CAN NOT bid on those jobs. they are hired as skilled and they can not bid out of their position. don't know if i agree either way but that is what i have heard for a long time. look in the contract, i am positive there is language on this.

brown67

Same local and I'm checking with BA. Just curious. Never heard of anyone other than a driver being able to move to feeders.

rod

Retired 22 years
to answer the original question-----only if they are ready to move up to size 44 or larger pants:peaceful:

One of our feeder drivers was previously a PT preloader, then went to the sort aisle and started shifting trailers as well. He bid from PT shifting to feeders. Of course there were no full timers bidding on the run.

This is from the Southern Region Supplement :
1. The Employer will post a feeder driver trainee list and
will state the number employees needed for this training.
No new list will be posted until the number on the original
list has been satisfied. Full-time employees who are interested
in qualifying as tractor-trailer drivers shall sign the above
list so notify the Employer. Such employees, except Automotive
and Maintenance mechanics, in seniority order,
will be permitted to attend, on their own time, the Employer’s
training program which will be established periodically when
the Employer determines there is a need to qualify additional
tractor-trailer drivers. A good driving record and the employee
not having an avoidable accident during the preceding year
are prerequisites for such training provided the employee has
secured all the appropriate state and/or Federal Licensing
(CDL) permits prior to attending the tractor-trailer qualifying
school. The Employer agrees to furnish the instructors and
necessary equipment. The company will furnish qualification
sheets to the Local Union upon request.

rocket man

I Wish i had the skill to fix the trucks id bid for your job .IF your in a decent size center you wouldnt stand a chance that not being mean jut a lot of people in front of you.And now that ups frieight is in the picture you will have more work its a matter of time befor you work on those trucks.you have a very important job Thanks for keeping me on the road.I almost for got upstate nyer is my hero.

UPSGUY72

The only way to become a feeder driver is to first be a package car driver. UPS doesn't hire feeders off the street there is no 6-1 ratio.

helenofcalifornia

I wish our mechanic would try and bid out of his job here. Backyard mechanic can't fix squat! Problem he has is that the mechanic before him could fix anything and in no time. Hard to follow perfection. Lucky he has a union.

brownrodster

The only way to become a feeder driver is to first be a package car driver. UPS doesn't hire feeders off the street there is no 6-1 ratio.

they do hire off the street. If no pkg driver wants the job then they take part timers. If no part timers want the job then they hire off the street. If no one wants the job they have to find someone from somewhere.

upsdude

Richmond Virginia has hired several off the street. One of them is a friend of mine. He had a CDL, I told him to head to Richmond, sure enough he has been in Feeders for a while now.

ikoi62

around here i know of at least 3 mechanics who are now feeder drivers and a couple who left mechanics to become clerks and 1 porter. i guess it all depends on your local.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
One of our mechanics was in the last Feeder School my Hub had. I don't know if he needed it for his automotive job or he is trying to get into Feeder.

mattwtrs

Retired Senior Member
Why do some mechanics think they can be a perfect driver?

Why do some feeder drivers try to tell the mechanics how to fix their truck?

Probably the same reason that some shop stewards think they would be the perfect BA!

This is America, the land of opportunity to do whatever you want.