Can a pacemaker disqualify you from being a driver

Danger96

I am currently on LTD for an unrelated health issue, while off I was diagnosed with severe sleep apnea and a type 2 second degree AV heart block. LTD case manager just called and said that my 24 months on LTD was about to end but she was going to try and get me permanently disabled because they were “considering” me for a pacemaker. But I want to go back to work! They’re still trying to figure out if it’s a night time thing or if I’m having them throughout the day, if it’s nighttime then the CPAP should take care of it, but if I need one, does it automatically disqualify me from ever being a driver again? Heck, I haven’t even gotten my CPAP machine yet!

Rutherford B Hays

gun accipere, et abire cannoli
I am currently on LTD for an unrelated health issue, while off I was diagnosed with severe sleep apnea and a type 2 second degree AV heart block. LTD case manager just called and said that my 24 months on LTD was about to end but she was going to try and get me permanently disabled because they were “considering” me for a pacemaker. But I want to go back to work! They’re still trying to figure out if it’s a night time thing or if I’m having them throughout the day, if it’s nighttime then the CPAP should take care of it, but if I need one, does it automatically disqualify me from ever being a driver again? Heck, I haven’t even gotten my CPAP machine yet!

Here is a website that may help you with any questions that you may have.

FAQs – DOT Physical Exam Cardiovascular Conditions

Good luck to you

P

pickup

I did not know that

Yeah we have a few guys in Feeders that have to use the machine. One guy had to stay out of work for a few months until he got the machine. Apparently there are only so many approved manufacturers of an acceptable device so he had to wait to get a machine as there was a backlog of orders.

542thruNthru

I'd say about 50% of our drivers have had to do the stupid sleep study. 8 that I know of had to get the machine.

From what they tell me.
You have to use the machine 30 days before they will give you your DOT card. You only get a 1 year card. You have to use the machine over 70% of the time a week.

What seems to be pissing a lot of guys off is they will pass the sleep study and 2 years later be told they have to do it again.