car/truck speed limit... which one applies to us?

chopstic

I know we consider our vehicles package "cars", but I think the rest of the world refers to them as trucks. When there are different speed limits posted for cars and trucks on the freeway, which one are we suppose to follow? Usually the truck speed limit will be 10mph less than the car speed limit. I have always followed the truck limit as don't want to risk a ticket, but I'm also usually driving one of the larger single unit box-trucks. What do you guys think?

rod

Retired 22 years
Try telling a cop that the big brown thing you are driving is a car and see what happens. Calling them a car is just one more piece of UPS bull that is force fed to you.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
Not sure about the speed limit but I can tell you the no trck signs posted on some streets do apply to our package cars, as I was pulled over one day for going thru a street that had one. My guess would be the truck classification would be the same for the speed limits.

bluehdmc

Stay with the flow of traffic and you should be fine.

That would be the safest thing, forcing people to drive around you actually creates more of a hazard than "going with the flow".

Generally a "truck" is considered by the registered "gross" weight. For example most states don't allow trucks over 5 tons to ride in the left lane of a 3 lane highway. I'd say most package cars are registered over 10.000 lbs. although the smaller ones without dual real wheels may be less.

local804

They tend to tell us we need a dot card and a commercial drivers license and last time I looked my truck weight was 16,000 pounds. Here in NY if a UPS truck went on a parkway which says "cars only" it would turn into a convertable faster than you could say oops. Just remeber the height on your truck and that they could check your speed on any given day due to telematics. Why would a UPS truck be going 68 mph when our state speed limits are 55? There is one driver who after an accident had his card pulled while doing 65 in a 55 mph zone. Now the tables turn against you fast. CYA

brownrod

Our freeway speed limits are 70 for car and 60 for truck.

I go 70 because our automatic trucks have a 70 mph governor.
So I just floor the gas pedal and go as fast as possible. My one main bonus route has about 30 miles per day of freeway driving.

40 and out

Our freeway speed limits are 70 for car and 60 for truck.

I go 70 because our automatic trucks have a 70 mph governor.
So I just floor the gas pedal and go as fast as possible. My one main bonus route has about 30 miles per day of freeway driving.

Top speed for my 10 cube is 66-67 mph,so I don't have to worry about speeding on the interstate. I used to have a 7 cube 659xxx. I would sometimes be going 80 in it on the way back to the building,not on purpose. It would haul arse for a package car,probably would have done 85-90 top speed.

brownrod

Top speed for my 10 cube is 66-67 mph,so I don't have to worry about speeding on the interstate. I used to have a 7 cube 659xxx. I would sometimes be going 80 in it on the way back to the building,not on purpose. It would haul arse for a package car,probably would have done 85-90 top speed.

A couple years ago our center got several brand new gas p5's. You had to be careful with those things. You'd hit 80 mph on the highway without trying. You'd have to pay close attention to your speed because because it was hard to keep it legal! You'd be pulling burn outs in gravel driveways all day long.

We didn't have those trucks very long. Don't know where they sent them. Maybe to Alaska. We've tested numerous Alaska trucks before they barge them up there. But I didn't like them. My knees hit the steering column. Too small for someone over 6'.

djkre8r

I drive on occasions to the airport. I like the fact that about 60 miles of the 85 mile trip is pedal to the metal. With the 70mph limit I can NOT get a ticket! Heel on the pedal! I just wish that on the way back during Atlanta traffic that I could use the HOV lane.

bbsam

Staff member
Here it depends on the weight of your vehicle if you have to stop at the scales you are a truck.
Here in Illinois all the weight signs suggest that we have to weigh, but we never do and noone ever says anything about it.

AKCoverMan

Not sure about the speed limit but I can tell you the no trck signs posted on some streets do apply to our package cars, as I was pulled over one day for going thru a street that had one. My guess would be the truck classification would be the same for the speed limits.

So how would yoiu ever deliver to stops on the street with this sign?

AKCoverMan

Where are you from brownrod? I drive from the Anchorage Center.. we did get several of the new P5s seems like all our equipment gets here with Washington plates.

ups1990

I believe UPS lobbied to have its delivery trucks labeled cars, if not mistaken.

I tend to drive 5mph slower than posted limits.