Career at UPS

BigBrownboxx

Hi all, i am 18 years old and started working at UPS last peak as a jumper. They called me in about a month ago and asked if i wanted to work at the reload at night. My parents have told me i landed a good job and once i put my time in and become a driver i will be fine and make a nice living. What do you guys think? Should i make it a career?
Thanks for your time!

Over 70

Anything else going for you? If the alternative is low paying menial jobs, or a liberal arts degree then go for it.

If another alternative is a college degree in a math, science, or engineering related field. Don't work at ups.

Mr. Sir

Box slinger
It all depends on what you really want to do. If you truly want to drive, then put you're time in and you'll get there. You're at an age where it definitely wouldn't hurt to work here for about a year to find out if you want to stay. At the same time if you're planning on obtaining a usable degree from college, just know there are UPS avenues other other then driving or working in a hub. Whatever the case, best of luck

clean hairy

Being able to retire before the age of 50 would be great!
When you reach 21, you will have e years of pt seniority which will not hurt when ft driving bid list is posted.
In the meantime, pretty good healthcare.

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
depends if you can handle the reload. I suggest getting a fat girlfriend and picking her up over and over

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Hi all, i am 18 years old and started working at UPS last peak as a jumper. They called me in about a month ago and asked if i wanted to work at the reload at night. My parents have told me i landed a good job and once i put my time in and become a driver i will be fine and make a nice living. What do you guys think? Should i make it a career?
Thanks for your time!
When I was 18 all we wanted to do is hang out and party.

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
work PT and use the education benefits to get schooling in something useful (degree, a trade, whatever)

once you're done with schooling, decide for yourself whether you'd rather see more of what UPS has to offer or pursue what you studied/trained for

also stash what you can into the 401K while you're young and have no expenses; putting even a little bit away while you're young lets compound interest do magic

Gear

Parts on Order
18? No way, go live your life. Have fun, get in trouble, experience things. LIVE. Don't spend the rest of your life in one building. Screw that! Money, pensions, and a 401k at 18, come on. I didn't get here until my 30s, I wouldn't give up one life experience for one more dollar in my 401k. When I'm on my death bed, I'm not going to be thinking, "Man, I wish I spend some of the money Ive been saving." Get the friend*k out of here, some of you guys are crazy.

My advice if you are considering working at UPS. Work for a few months, then join the military branch of your choice for 4 years active. UPS will hold your job like you never left. After a ton of life experiences (some good, some bad) with the military and about an age of 23-24 you can come back to UPS with all your seniority. Then you can be ready to work till you die. I personally think this is the best route for any young person. Go drive a tank, or be a grunt and kill someone for your country. That's living!

wayfair

swollen member
18? No way, go live your life. Have fun, get in trouble, experience things. LIVE. Don't spend the rest of your life in one building. Screw that! Money, pensions, and a 401k at 18, come on. I didn't get here until my 30s, I wouldn't give up one life experience for one more dollar in my 401k. When I'm on my death bed, I'm not going to be thinking, "Man, I wish I spend some of the money Ive been saving." Get the friend*k out of here, some of you guys are crazy.

My advice if you are considering working at UPS. Work for a few months, then join the military branch of your choice for 4 years active. UPS will hold your job like you never left. After a ton of life experiences (some good, some bad) with the military and about an age of 23-24 you can come back to UPS with all your seniority. Then you can be ready to work till you die. I personally think this is the best route for any young person. Go drive a tank, or be a grunt and kill someone for your country. That's living!

I got a neighbors son a job at UPS when he turned 18(2 years ago), he joined the Marines last month!! I did tell him to get a withdrawal card from the Union...

MendozaJ

You can't drive until you're 21 anyway. It's a part time job that leads to a more lucrative position if you don't muck up.

People telling you to live your life can't do it without money. If you want to remain a dependent, living with your parents, on their health insurance until the age of 26, that's not living life.

You're 18. You need a part time job. During that time, you can figure out what you want to do. Maybe you hang around, start driving in three years, earn $100k at 25, then decide to go in another direction. Maybe not.

What were you doing before they called you back? Living life?

Either way, don't turn down a job opportunity if you have no other option. Then you're just being lazy.

AutoZone

BrownPower
If I could start over and do it at 18, I would in a second. My son will be 15 this year.. he's going into ups as soon as possible. After a few years of pt work, and schooling paid for at the expense of ups, I told him all I ask is drive for 1 year, after you're eligible. Then decide if you want to do it for another 30 years. I'm sure after Making 60-70k at 21/22 years old, and his buddies are washing cars for $10 an hour, It'll be an easy decision. Not to mention done working in his early 50s.. I know way to many people in debt with degrees that can't find jobs..

PT Car Washer

If I could start over and do it at 18, I would in a second. My son will be 15 this year.. he's going into ups as soon as possible. After a few years of pt work, and schooling paid for at the expense of ups, I told him all I ask is drive for 1 year, after you're eligible. Then decide if you want to do it for another 30 years. I'm sure after Making 60-70k at 21/22 years old, and his buddies are washing cars for $10 an hour, It'll be an easy decision. Not to mention done working in his early 50s.. I know way to many people in debt with degrees that can't find jobs..
Not sure how a new driver making $18.75/hr and being laid off 1/2 the year is going to make $70k/year but you are right it is a start. The young guys already know there will not be a pension or Social Security and their 401(k) plans will be used to pay off the baby boomers retirements.

El Correcto

god is dead
If you decide to take the part time job with the intentions of going driving at 21. Avoid be a jackass behind the wheel while you are a part timer. That mistake set me back about 3 years of my goal, or roughly 150,000 after tax money.

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
getting rich is crazy? or even just being able to spend money on yourself in your 20's because that money at 18 will compound more?

people need to think about retirement the moment they hit adulthood, because compound interest needs all the time it can get

otherwise you just end up like some boomer, working at walmart at 70 and wondering where all the money went

Gear

Parts on Order
getting rich is crazy? or even just being able to spend money on yourself in your 20's because that money at 18 will compound more?

people need to think about retirement the moment they hit adulthood, because compound interest needs all the time it can get

otherwise you just end up like some boomer, working at walmart at 70 and wondering where all the money went

Its just my opinion. Id rather have fun and spend money while Im in my prime. There's more to life than money.