Career at UPS

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
Its just my opinion. Id rather have fun and spend money while Im in my prime. There's more to life than money.
everything in life costs money, so there are inevitably things in that "more" category that you're unable to acquire because you didn't want to have the means to do so

id be high if i said my prime was when i was 18 when i couldn't do :censored2: for lack of money or experience
ymmv

Gear

Parts on Order
I guess it would depend on the center. Around here guys are working past 35 years. I dont see this trend changing as people become more concerned about money. The younger guys are working part time for 8-10 years. Thats 8-10 years of low wages, terrible working hours and probably another job to just get by. I wouldn't think they have any time or money for fun. So maybe by their mid 30s they will be full rate and can start doing something other than working. I cant think of the last part timer to go driving. Im going to have to ask someone to see who and when it was.

Thats why going into the military for 4 years is a good idea. Knock out 4 crappy years at UPS and gain some life experiences. No one is gaining life experience throwing boxes at 4am or whenever they work. Got to be in bed by 10 just to get 5 hours of sleep and make $40-50.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Hi all, i am 18 years old and started working at UPS last peak as a jumper. They called me in about a month ago and asked if i wanted to work at the reload at night. My parents have told me i landed a good job and once i put my time in and become a driver i will be fine and make a nice living. What do you guys think? Should i make it a career?
Thanks for your time!
You are at the age where there is little or no risk making a career at UPS as a driver.
3 years until you can drive.
Talk to people, keep your eyes open and after driving for a year ... make your mind up.
You should look at getting/working on a college degree.
Even 3 years of college will help you if you decide later that a UPS career is not for you.

BigBrown04

I guess it would depend on the center. Around here guys are working past 35 years. I dont see this trend changing as people become more concerned about money. The younger guys are working part time for 8-10 years. Thats 8-10 years of low wages, terrible working hours and probably another job to just get by. I wouldn't think they have any time or money for fun. So maybe by their mid 30s they will be full rate and can start doing something other than working. I cant think of the last part timer to go driving. Im going to have to ask someone to see who and when it was.

Thats why going into the military for 4 years is a good idea. Knock out 4 crappy years at UPS and gain some life experiences. No one is gaining life experience throwing boxes at 4am or whenever they work. Got to be in bed by 10 just to get 5 hours of sleep and make $40-50.
My sup told me that 6 drivers are retiring in the next 3 years so i figured it was a good time to get in

km3

My sup told me that 6 drivers are retiring in the next 3 years so i figured it was a good time to get in

That's all? There are going to be 10-20 people ahead of you in seniority, even after 3 years. The odds are against you.

Look into whether your location has tuition reimbursement, and even if it doesn't, go get an Associate's degree at a community college at least. No reason not to complete 2 to 3 years of college while you're working part-time.

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
That's all? There are going to be 10-20 people ahead of you in seniority, even after 3 years. The odds are against you.

Look into whether your location has tuition reimbursement, and even if it doesn't, go get an Associate's degree at a community college at least. No reason not to complete 2 to 3 years of college while you're working part-time.
in my district, you have to beg people to sign FT driver bid lists

BigBrown04

that's what i plan on doing, we have a small center, about 35 drivers all the part timers are older and have other jobs

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit

Some buildings don't have that many PTers, never mind people ahead of them who want to drive.

JD1988

getting rich is crazy? or even just being able to spend money on yourself in your 20's because that money at 18 will compound more?

people need to think about retirement the moment they hit adulthood, because compound interest needs all the time it can get

otherwise you just end up like some boomer, working at walmart at 70 and wondering where all the money went
Sad but true. I squandered
all that good pay and after 36 years I was forced out--now all I do is drink, watch sports, and try to pretend I'm not married so I don't have to share any of my lousy retirement money with anyone. No matter what road you choose, invest in family first and always and never look back at what could have been.

LeadBelly

Banned
Hi all, i am 18 years old and started working at UPS last peak as a jumper. They called me in about a month ago and asked if i wanted to work at the reload at night. My parents have told me i landed a good job and once i put my time in and become a driver i will be fine and make a nice living. What do you guys think? Should i make it a career?
Thanks for your time!
I'd just as a fall back get an education!!!!!