China "Dog Meat" Festival Begins

rod

Retired 22 years
did i strike a nerve? why so serious!

alot of my heroes are teachers, but i didnt learn anything useful from the ones in school; they were all sleepwalking. probably just 1984 and animal farm both of which i wasnt interested in back then, and one teacher in another class put on the matrix. my gym teacher pulled me aside one day and told me how much he had to go through to get his teaching job.

me and my coworker who majored in philosophy discussed the idea "what do you think of most people?" and my response was: i dont think most people are good enough, so that goes for teachers as well and your kids.

western culture, or maybe all cultures is like being in a zombie movie where everyone is sleepwalking through life; going through the motions.

Did you ever get the paddle in school?

rickyb

Did you ever get the paddle in school?
i spent more time in the hall in grade 2 than i did in class, almost expelled in grade 4 or 5 just for consistent calling out. no beatings, but i did have some teachers who said things they shouldnt have said as grown adults which made the students like me act out more. i guess some adults arent that mature

rod

Retired 22 years
i spent more time in the hall in grade 2 than i did in class, almost expelled in grade 4 or 5 just for consistent calling out. no beatings, but i did have some teachers who said things they shouldnt have said as grown adults which made the students like me act out more. i guess some adults arent that mature

Sounds to me like you could have used the paddle----and your parents/parent could have used a wake-up call.

rickyb

Sounds to me like you could have used the paddle----and your parents/parent could have used a wake-up call.
they probably banned beatings for a reason...my parents are very normal and have very ho hum views of the world. my dad is very appauled by my views on terrorism and stuff like that but hes also very conservative and watches corporate "news" so hes not really in any position to comment on that.

i think my bro is a psychopath but hes otherwise a pretty cool guy

rod

Retired 22 years
they probably banned beatings for a reason...my parents are very normal and have very ho hum views of the world. my dad is very appauled by my views on terrorism and stuff like that but hes also very conservative and watches corporate "news" so hes not really in any position to comment on that.

i think my bro is a psychopath but hes otherwise a pretty cool guy

Ha--I never said "beatings". All I asked was if you ever got the paddle. There is a BIG difference. Keep an eye on your brother.:rolleyes:

oldngray

nowhere special
picdump_2564_09.jpg

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Physical violence as a form of punishment for a child. That's a beating. Beyond people thinking it's ok and normal, which it isn't, it's also been proven to be ineffective.
It (spankings) worked for both my kids. I used it sparingly though. They've both told me they will spank their kids when they have them.

rickyb

Ha--I never said "beatings". All I asked was if you ever got the paddle. There is a BIG difference. Keep an eye on your brother.:rolleyes:
never got it in school, but at home of course.

school banned it...kinda like how all developed countries except america banned the death penalty.

It will be fine

It (spankings) worked for both my kids. I used it sparingly though. They've both told me they will spank their kids when they have them.
Yes, people that were beaten as children believe it is a normal disciplinary technique. There are more effective disciplinary techniques for children. People hit their kids because they are frustrated and loose control, it's a bad form of discipline. It's never necessary and doesn't work as a long term strategy to change behavior.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Yes, people that were beaten as children believe it is a normal disciplinary technique. There are more effective disciplinary techniques for children. People hit their kids because they are frustrated and loose control, it's a bad form of discipline. It's never necessary and doesn't work as a long term strategy to change behavior.
That's your opinion. I have first hand experience with mine. My kids would rather spank their kids than have kids like the hooligans running around in stores and restaurants.

It will be fine

That's your opinion. I have first hand experience with mine. My kids would rather spank their kids than have kids like the hooligans running around in stores and restaurants.
It's not my opinion, it's the consensus of child psychologists. There's tons of research available to look at. My kids don't run around like hooligans and I don't beat them.

rod

Retired 22 years
Physical violence as a form of punishment for a child. That's a beating. Beyond people thinking it's ok and normal, which it isn't, it's also been proven to be ineffective.

An old fashion spanking never hurt anyone. When the paddle at school was done away with and little Johnney knew all he was going to get at home was a "please don't do that' -----that was the beginning of our downfall. Look where we are at today. Kids who ALWAYS get their way. I cringe every time I hear some kid tell his parents they won't do something---and the parents do NOTHING about it.

542thruNthru

did i strike a nerve? why so serious!

alot of my heroes are teachers, but i didnt learn anything useful from the ones in school; they were all sleepwalking. probably just 1984 and animal farm both of which i wasnt interested in back then, and one teacher in another class put on the matrix. my gym teacher pulled me aside one day and told me how much he had to go through to get his teaching job.

me and my coworker who majored in philosophy discussed the idea "what do you think of most people?" and my response was: i dont think most people are good enough, so that goes for teachers as well and your kids.

western culture, or maybe all cultures is like being in a zombie movie where everyone is sleepwalking through life; going through the motions.

You didn't learn anything useful from the teachers in school? So you learned to read, write and do math from just your parents or did you just know all that right out of the womb? Just curious.

It will be fine

An old fashion spanking never hurt anyone. When the paddle at school was done away with and little Johnney knew all he was going to get at home was a "please don't do that' -----that was the beginning of our downfall. Look where we are at today. Kids who ALWAYS get their way. I cringe every time I hear some kid tell his parents they won't do something---and the parents do NOTHING about it.
The research is easily available, we don't need to guess or base our conclusions on anecdotal evidence. It's a pretty clear consensus, physical beatings are ineffective and can cause real harm. Google is your friend.

It will be fine

Google also has evidence of the merits of spanking. It's a personal choice.
Some minority reports that claim a few taps can work to reinforce other forms of discipline. The point is, if it doesn't work and is unnecessary why would you hit your own children?
My favorite Asimov quote, "violence is the last refuge of the incompetent."