China Trade Deal

vantexan

He got off to a decent start, but there have been recent layoffs, and consecutive quarters of retraction.

Personally, I think politicians pay lip-service to manufacturing to entice the stiffs. Considering that manufacturing may not even be ten percent of the economy at this point, it seems they spend a lot of time prattling on about it - the 50’s were a long time ago, folks.
He can't keep the world from slowing down but right now being in the U.S. is the best place to be if there's a worldwide recession.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Not sure why working stiffs are obsessed with China.

The great majority of the manufacturing exodus in the early 2000’s was caused by automation, not the lower labor costs that China offered.

As far as the tentative “deal,” I suppose it can’t hurt, but I doubt it’s going to do much for most.

After all, what does opening up China to US financial services companies do for your average Schlitz drinking US slob? Not much!

Commie Obama pointed out that automation was an even bigger culprit that low-labor costs, and the Right skewered him. There are still some industries that are off-shore to take advantage of cheap labor, and when Tariff Trump goes after them, they just go to another country with cheap labor, like Vietnam or Malaysia.

The tenative "deal" comes just as Trump has undergone perhaps his worst week ever, and since a Trump "deal" isn't really a deal at all, what is it worth? He's famous for reneging on agreements and simply cannot be trusted.

I think he's softening on China to make himself look good. Another example of doing what's right for his image and not necessarily what's right for the USA.

This is an actor playing the part of the president in a reality TV series. Look how the idiot behaves. He wants ratings, not tangible results.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I want to see the real details, not Trump's hype. If this deal actually addresses trade imbalances and China's theft of intellectual property in a meaningful way I'll be pleasantly surprised, but I'm not holding my breath.

vantexan

Commie Obama pointed out that automation was an even bigger culprit that low-labor costs, and the Right skewered him. There are still some industries that are off-shore to take advantage of cheap labor, and when Tariff Trump goes after them, they just go to another country with cheap labor, like Vietnam or Malaysia.

The tenative "deal" comes just as Trump has undergone perhaps his worst week ever, and since a Trump "deal" isn't really a deal at all, what is it worth? He's famous for reneging on agreements and simply cannot be trusted.

I think he's softening on China to make himself look good. Another example of doing what's right for his image and not necessarily what's right for the USA.

This is an actor playing the part of the president in a reality TV series. Look how the idiot behaves. He wants ratings, not tangible results.
Democrat fantasies do not a worst week make.

BrownArmy

$40-$50 Billion annually in ag products, among other things, is nothing?

Let’s see it ‘papered’, in Trumps’ words.

This isn’t the first time Trump has announced success, while also saying it’s not written down, and might take 4-5 weeks to get ‘papered’.

Unless it’s on paper, color me cautious.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Democrat fantasies do not a worst week make.

Keep on believing. The arrests weren't fantasies, the investigation of Rudy isn't a fantasy, the resignation and testimony yesterday weren't fantasies either. Neither was the abandonment of the Kurds against the direct advice of senior military officials.

Trump becomes more of an idiot every day.

Your fantasy is vaporizing.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

This isn’t the first time Trump has announced success, while also saying it’s not written down, and might take 4-5 weeks to get ‘papered’.

"WINNING!!!" Charlie Sheen style.

vantexan

The Chinese are trying to get the tariffs off their products and they also need to buy food from us. It's not all one sided.

BrownArmy

The Chinese are trying to get the tariffs off their products and they also need to buy food from us. It's not all one sided.

Of course.

But Trump has been optimistic about a ‘done-deal’ before, several times.

Now, he’s optimistic about a ‘phase-one’ done-deal.

Talk to me when it’s on paper and signed, otherwise it’s just Trump being Trump.

I’m sort of surprised the market reacts to his statements anymore, they’re invariably false.

vantexan

Of course.

But Trump has been optimistic about a ‘done-deal’ before, several times.

Now, he’s optimistic about a ‘phase-one’ done-deal.

Talk to me when it’s on paper and signed, otherwise it’s just Trump being Trump.

I’m sort of surprised the market reacts to his statements anymore, they’re invariably false.
Name the done deals? The Chinese up and left numerous times because they didn't want to concede anything. Trump has been turning up the heat including increasing the number of products under tariff as well as just decertifying a bunch of Chinese companies from doing business in the U.S.. He didn't get everything he wanted in this deal, but the Chinese gave a lot more than they had been offering. Ultimately no U.S. president has stood up to the Chinese like Trump has. About time someone did.

BrownArmy

Name the done deals? The Chinese up and left numerous times because they did want to concede anything. Trump has been turning up the heat including increasing the number of products under tariff as well as just decertifying a bunch of Chinese companies from doing business in the U.S.. He didn't get everything he wanted in this deal, but the Chinese gave a lot more than they had been offering. Ultimately no U.S. president has stood up to the Chinese like Trump has. About time someone did.

Ok.

Hope springs eternal, I guess.

Get back to me when there’s a signed deal, good enough?

BrownArmy

Meanwhile feel free to criticize everything Trump does because we all know Trump only cares about Trump, doesn't give a damn about the country.

Get back to me when there’s an actual deal.

Right now it’s just Trump tweeting.

You can understand why I’m nonplussed.

vantexan

Get back to me when there’s an actual deal.

Right now it’s just Trump tweeting.

You can understand why I’m non-plussed.
So a Chinese delegation negotiating with our guys, plus their vice-premier coming to meet with Trump right before the announcement is just tweeting? What exactly does it take to make you realize this is serious business?

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
Might help if the Democrats don try to block it like they are with the USMCA to keep Trump from looking good. Heard the other day Trump said the Chinese deal doesn't require Congressional approval. Sure hope so.
dems cant block a deal with the chinese, it dont have to be approved by congress at all

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
Might help if the Democrats don try to block it like they are with the USMCA to keep Trump from looking good. Heard the other day Trump said the Chinese deal doesn't require Congressional approval. Sure hope so.
TRump did a good job with the chinese but it needs to be signed or the chinamen will just renege