COLA is a 33 cent adjustment to top scale

Non liberal

I’m going to walk through the contract and math so that we’re all able to be on the same page.

The following two paragraphs are the determining factors for the cost of living adjustment (COLA):
Summarizing Article 33, paragraphs 2, 3, and 4
‘COLA is based on CPI-W, published by the BLS.
COLA is calculated based on the difference between the index from May of the previous year to May of the current year.
For every 0.2 point increase IN THE INDEX above the previous index plus 3%, there is a 1 cent raise in the top scale.’

Historical CPI-W shows that May of 2020, the index was at 249.521.
The second to last paragraph on page 4 of the CPI news release for May, 2021 says
“The Consumer Price Index for Urban Wage Earners and Clerical Workers (CPI-W) increased 5.6 percent over the last 12 months to an index level of 263.612 (1982-84=100). For the month, the index rose 0.9 percent prior to seasonal adjustment.

So in order to calculate COLA you take the previous index (CPI20), multiply it by 1.03 to get your baseline 3% increase (referred to as 3%base), find the difference between the current CPI-W (CPI21) and the adjusted 3% increase (3%base), and multiply by 5 because each 0.2 points is one cent so each 1 point is therefore 5 cents. The formula is shown below:
3%base = CPI20 x 1.03
Raise = (CPI21 - 3%base) x 5

Factoring in our numbers:
3%base = 249.521 x 1.03 = 257.007
Raise = (263.612 - 257.007) x 5 = (6.605) x 5 = 33.025

That means that prior to the Union taking their cut, top scale will increase 33 cents. This will probably be at least a 25 cent increase.

As a side note, this post is not making any political judgments or determinations about the causes of inflation nor is it making a stance about the cut that the Union receives; this is simply an attempt to explain the contract and make an exorbitant amount of unnecessary college math courses useful to me.

I’m not sure if this site allows edits, but if it does I will correct the post if anyone points out any mistakes I made.
Well thank you for the math lesson.
I’m going to walk through the contract and math so that we’re all able to be on the same page.

The following two paragraphs are the determining factors for the cost of living adjustment (COLA):
Summarizing Article 33, paragraphs 2, 3, and 4
‘COLA is based on CPI-W, published by the BLS.
COLA is calculated based on the difference between the index from May of the previous year to May of the current year.
For every 0.2 point increase IN THE INDEX above the previous index plus 3%, there is a 1 cent raise in the top scale.’

Historical CPI-W shows that May of 2020, the index was at 249.521.
The second to last paragraph on page 4 of the CPI news release for May, 2021 says
“The Consumer Price Index for Urban Wage Earners and Clerical Workers (CPI-W) increased 5.6 percent over the last 12 months to an index level of 263.612 (1982-84=100). For the month, the index rose 0.9 percent prior to seasonal adjustment.

So in order to calculate COLA you take the previous index (CPI20), multiply it by 1.03 to get your baseline 3% increase (referred to as 3%base), find the difference between the current CPI-W (CPI21) and the adjusted 3% increase (3%base), and multiply by 5 because each 0.2 points is one cent so each 1 point is therefore 5 cents. The formula is shown below:
3%base = CPI20 x 1.03
Raise = (CPI21 - 3%base) x 5

Factoring in our numbers:
3%base = 249.521 x 1.03 = 257.007
Raise = (263.612 - 257.007) x 5 = (6.605) x 5 = 33.025

That means that prior to the Union taking their cut, top scale will increase 33 cents. This will probably be at least a 25 cent increase.

As a side note, this post is not making any political judgments or determinations about the causes of inflation nor is it making a stance about the cut that the Union receives; this is simply an attempt to explain the contract and make an exorbitant amount of unnecessary college math courses useful to me.

I’m not sure if this site allows edits, but if it does I will correct the post if anyone points out any mistakes I made.
thanks for the math lesson, I for one will make a political statement. Thanks dems, take a good look at what your country has become ( a shell of what it was just 2 years ago) unfortunately this is the inevitable result of a society electing to employ liberalism. Utter nonsense. hopefully we will not make the same mistake we made in 2020. For the love of god, can we not make that same mistake ever again.

Hadjabear

Well thank you for the math lesson.

thanks for the math lesson, I for one will make a political statement. Thanks dems, take a good look at what your country has become ( a shell of what it was just 2 years ago) unfortunately this is the inevitable result of a society electing to employ liberalism. Utter nonsense. hopefully we will not make the same mistake we made in 2020. For the love of god, can we not make that same mistake ever again.
You're right! We can't elect the orange haired clown that sparked all this at the start of 2020 again. Who knows how much worse it would be if he had won reelection.

Non liberal

By now we would just be another member of the Russian Federation.
At least they know how to feed their children. Unlike moronic liberals who just can’t get out of the damn way. That’s all Biden had to do was just stay the hell out of the damn way. The trump train economy was steamrolling, and still would be if liberals weren’t trying to crush the only piece of America still existing. (The middle class working man)

PT Car Washer

At least they know how to feed their children. Unlike moronic liberals who just can’t get out of the damn way. That’s all Biden had to do was just stay the hell out of the damn way. The trump train economy was steamrolling, and still would be if liberals weren’t trying to crush the only piece of America still existing. (The middle class working man)
Middle class working men and women elected President Biden. Tired of your and trumps lies.

Up In Smoke

All things inflationary aren't necessarily bad. Wages were stuck for nearly a decade, but the competition for employees has seen record wage growth. Energy prices are out of control, but understandable seeing how these companies took huge loses in 2020. The Fed will raise rates and sell off it's bond positions, the market will react and the strong companies will survive. People who live and die on a week by week basis haven't prepared their financial houses very well.

Attachments

• united-states-wage-growth.png
    united-states-wage-growth.png
    14.4 KB · Views: 40
All things inflationary aren't necessarily bad. Wages were stuck for nearly a decade, but the competition for employees has seen record wage growth. Energy prices are out of control, but understandable seeing how these companies took huge loses in 2020. The Fed will raise rates and sell off it's bond positions, the market will react and the strong companies will survive. People who live and die on a week by week basis haven't prepared their financial houses very well.
The people living on credit will not survive this

Up In Smoke

What about the everyday people?
I was 13 in 1980 and remember some of the financial arguments my parents got in. We got through it by cutting expenses and doing without. My little brother a I wore hand me downs through most of our middle and high school years. Everyday people can get rid of a lot of expensive gadgets and material things. Everyday people got used to cheap credit and those days are done.