COLA is a 33 cent adjustment to top scale

No1 Special

Long time listener, first time caller.
Major difference is the current employment numbers. Double digit unemployment in the early 80s and near 3% now. In the 80s once the unemployment numbers started to improve the hourly earnings bottomed out. The hourly earnings are at a record pace over the past 14 months. No two events are identical, can only hope to learn from each one.
Yea your are right about the unemployment back in the 80's. A high school kid couldn't find a job at a fast food restaurant because the responsible adults were filling all the positions to put food on the table and try to make the house payment.

Up In Smoke

I'm glad things are better for you than a couple years ago. The rest of us don't have that luxury.
Here's what I don't understand. People complain when our government runs massive debts (28 trillion over the last 20 years). But when the Fed announces last year that they will attempt to raise rates and reduce it's balance sheet people are mad because the market has adjusted and things are more expensive. Either you want the government to control our economy and support every industry or GTF out of the way and let capitalism run it's course. If people were living check to check when we were running 2 trillion dollar yearly deficits, then yes, things are going to be more difficult going forward.

Red Devil

The Power of Connected
Here's what I don't understand. People complain when our government runs massive debts (28 trillion over the last 20 years). But when the Fed announces last year that they will attempt to raise rates and reduce it's balance sheet people are mad because the market has adjusted and things are more expensive. Either you want the government to control our economy and support every industry or GTF out of the way and let capitalism run it's course. If people were living check to check when we were running 2 trillion dollar yearly deficits, then yes, things are going to be more difficult going forward.

Nobody knows what they want. They just want to complain

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
More expensive, inflation isn't even at its normal rate of 2 percent

Up In Smoke

Yes, 2% would be great, but when wages accelerated in April of 2021 and every company had to adjust cost structures to prepare for the inflation to follow. Wages drive the cost of most all goods and services.
united-states-wage-growth.png

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star

All the people who don't like the debt want to see the FED ended. You shouldn't conflate what different groups of people want.

What'dyabringmetoday???

Ok thanks. I have new perspective- I hope gas goes to ten dollars per gallon. And I hope groceries triple in price. I see more clearly now.

Swanson

Henry Swanson's my name, and excitement's my game.
So if a pt worker is making 15.33 right now. Going up to 15.83 August 1st will get 16.65 with the new cola raise?