COLA raise in October? (Express Only)

floridays

The only factor is after 40+ years he can't retire. Ttku :censored2:. :happy2:
I love youth and smarts, you have one. You should work with the people that I do that can walk away financially but don't simply for the medical insurance reason. I have the same dilemma, the man made the right choice for him and his family. If he is 61 he has until 66 1/2 to get medicare, a program he has paid into his entire working career. Grow up.

Oldfart

Planning on walking away when you get Medicare?
Not gonna wait that long. The retiree medical payment they give us will pay my premiums for little over 2 years. Gonna do this a year or so and see what happens. Hopefully someone will do something about the medical insurance crisis the country is facing and premiums will magically drop. I doubt that happens but you never know.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
As usual, you are wrong.

How can 1 person be so misinformed?
Just shut up a minute.

You haven't retired, or have you?

If you haven't, why on Earth would they offer a 10 hr. per week position w/ a four day weekend? That's hardly utilizing a courier position.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
I love youth and smarts, you have one. You should work with the people that I do that can walk away financially but don't simply for the medical insurance reason. I have the same dilemma, the man made the right choice for him and his family. If he is 61 he has until 66 1/2 to get medicare, a program he has paid into his entire working career. Grow up.
Some peoples entire argument is the retarded insult they can hurl. Consider the source and ignore their ignorance.

Oldfart

Just shut up a minute.

You haven't retired, or have you?

If you haven't, why on Earth would they offer a 10 hr. per week position w/ a four day weekend? That's hardly utilizing a courier position.
I did not retire. Going part time and giving up RTD pay. They offered. I took it. I dont analysis it, I just jumped on it. Our FO drivers normally only work about 15 or so a week anyway working 5 days.

Preventable

Offering that kind of position sounds like a good way to get yourself in trouble as a manager... is there any precedent for the situation you have? They should be working you at least 15 a week to justify your job, especially because you will get 20 sick hours 16 floater/personal and 100 vacation all at top rate (not that you should be discriminated against because you have a higher wage, but you shouldn't be getting a sweetheart deal like this if it isn't the norm, this is the type of stuff that can and has led to lawsuits). As long as you are willing to work 6 hours a day like can be required of you (subject to operation need) with a smile on your face like the company man you are I suppose it is ok.

SmithBarney

So after 40+ years and all that financial savy you still can't retire. Lmfao!:happy2:
We have topped out Couriers who run regular FT rtes getting 50hrs a week, who leave work and go deliver food at night.. Doesn't make sense to me, either you've made some horrible financial choices and are forced to work extra jobs, or you really are a workaholic(if you are there are plenty of hours at FDX,) it can't be greed because well food delivery is peanuts, maybe they hate their families? Honestly I can't find a good enough reason to want to keep working til midnight every night.

Oldfart

Offering that kind of position sounds like a good way to get yourself in trouble as a manager... is there any precedent for the situation you have? They should be working you at least 15 a week to justify your job, especially because you will get 20 sick hours 16 floater/personal and 100 vacation all at top rate (not that you should be discriminated against because you have a higher wage, but you shouldn't be getting a sweetheart deal like this if it isn't the norm, this is the type of stuff that can and has led to lawsuits). As long as you are willing to work 6 hours a day like can be required of you (subject to operation need) with a smile on your face like the company man you are I suppose it is ok.
I don't make the routes, I don't write the offer letters, I don't analyze the reasoning. We have other FO drivers that only work bout 15 hrs in 5 days. The offer was made and I jumped on it. Just like when my MD asked me to sit in on courier class, REDS classes and defensive driving classes to give my input. I rarely put in 5 days on road and enjoying the heck out of it. Not my doing. I am just a dumb ole truck driver.

Preventable

I don't make the routes, I don't write the offer letters, I don't analyze the reasoning. We have other FO drivers that only work bout 15 hrs in 5 days. The offer was made and I jumped on it. Just like when my MD asked me to sit in on courier class, REDS classes and defensive driving classes to give my input. I rarely put in 5 days on road and enjoying the heck out of it. Not my doing. I am just a dumb ole truck driver.

Well, plausible deniability has to be plausible. Waiting for the earnings report today I was looking into insider trading today. And read a story about a guy who got in deep :censored2: because his wife purchased 50k in shares of a company her husband was doing business with just before their stock spiked, how do you think that turned out? Bear in mind this is not some sort of threat or anything, you as an hourly employee at worst if :censored2: hit the fan be (GASP) forced to work your 20 hours or whatever. Whoever signed off on the arrangement however, would maybe be canned. So this isn't really an attack on you, but more so your manager... especially with the lackluster earnings report today we shouldn't be doing stuff like this. And @SmithBarney, some people are just hustlers... (and probably a lot of people like you said that are not financially savy at all)... Been keeping a mental list of people like this of people I meet if I ever start my own business...

vantexan

FO couriers start very early. A lot of regular couriers don't want to do it because they get back to their trucks late to sort their freight. If they have someone willing it's one less headache to cover.

!Retired!

We have topped out Couriers who run regular FT rtes getting 50hrs a week, who leave work and go deliver food at night.. Doesn't make sense to me, either you've made some horrible financial choices and are forced to work extra jobs, or you really are a workaholic(if you are there are plenty of hours at FDX,) it can't be greed because well food delivery is peanuts, maybe they hate their families? Honestly I can't find a good enough reason to want to keep working til midnight every night.
Don't be so quick as to make assumptions. Delivering food might not pay the mortgage, but you might make enough to pay for your gas, water bill, electric bill, buy groceries for the week. Or maybe just to put it into a retirement account.
My father worked 2 jobs....1 as a painter and another as a line cook in a restaurant. Not because he couldn't afford to 'get by' on 1 job and not because he made bad financial decisions. He wanted to do what was best for the family. Pay off the mortgage, put money in savings, buy his 2 kids what they needed and sometimes what they wanted. And yet, after all that working, he still had time to join a bowling league with me, watch me play little league, etc. Now he's retired 20+ years and doesn't need to worry about where his next meal is coming from and peace of mind knowing BOTH his kids are doing well.

!Retired!

FO couriers start very early. A lot of regular couriers don't want to do it because they get back to their trucks late to sort their freight. If they have someone willing it's one less headache to cover.
Our FO drivers punch in at 6:50, late starters punch in 7:50. FO get back from delivering at about 8:00 (depending on the route and volume). Add in stretch/flex and pre-trip time, late starters and FO drivers start sorting their trucks at about the same time.

Oldfart

Don't be so quick as to make assumptions. Delivering food might not pay the mortgage, but you might make enough to pay for your gas, water bill, electric bill, buy groceries for the week. Or maybe just to put it into a retirement account.
My father worked 2 jobs....1 as a painter and another as a line cook in a restaurant. Not because he couldn't afford to 'get by' on 1 job and not because he made bad financial decisions. He wanted to do what was best for the family. Pay off the mortgage, put money in savings, buy his 2 kids what they needed and sometimes what they wanted. And yet, after all that working, he still had time to join a bowling league with me, watch me play little league, etc. Now he's retired 20+ years and doesn't need to worry about where his next meal is coming from and peace of mind knowing BOTH his kids are doing well.
Spot on.
My neighbor is a CPA with a pretty large firm. I am sure he makes a good living. When his 2 kids were in school he wanted them to attend private schools with tuition costs that would have put a dent in his budget. He worked for Dominos for at least 12 to 15 years a few nights a week and said that money went a long way to paying that tuition.

dezguy

Delivering food isn't necessarily "peanuts".

Back when I was in school, I worked at a factory during the summer for tuition money. Worked on the line with a guy who ended up quitting because he was making more on the weekend, delivering pita pit to drunk students than he made working 40 hours on the line.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
I did FO's for awhile along with running a 4/10 route but not by choice. There were quite a few days where I'd get back later than I liked and I'd be trying to sort my freight while others are leaving the building. That sucked.

SmithBarney

I did FO's for awhile along with running a 4/10 route but not by choice. There were quite a few days where I'd get back later than I liked and I'd be trying to sort my freight while others are leaving the building. That sucked.

We have staggered starts, we have people punching in as others are pulling out.. then they are alone on the belt to deal with the misloads in their vehicles.

SmithBarney

Fully agree, times have changed I could only dream of what it must be like to be topped out.. and yes everyones situation is unique.

Oldfart

We have staggered starts, we have people punching in as others are pulling out.. then they are alone on the belt to deal with the misloads in their vehicles.
That does suck. We pretty much start at the same time, give or take 15 minutes. Nothing like finding a stop that isn't yours after everyone else has left the bldg.