COLA raise in October? (Express Only)

McFeely

Huge Member
On another note an old friend I worked with long ago told me. They didn't know said person personally but knew station and of said person. You met your MD yet?

Yes. He’s been to the station a couple times already. Likely because of the high turnover but I dunno.

floridays

No need to. How big of a 401k , IRA's does a person need? When you can replace 80% or more of your working income by working 10 hours a week with 4 day weekends and draw down your IRA, no reason to keep working FT.
Why keep working, just be truthful and I will shut up.

Oldfart

Savy. Yeah right. Savy is being able to walk away at 40+ years and not worry about saving a few bucks.
Paying 2k a month for medical insurance is not a few bucks. The lump sum payment they give us to pay our medical helps but if I can make and save $2750 a month by working 10 hrs a week, that is a no brainer.

Oldfart

Why keep working, just be truthful and I will shut up.
It's all about the health insurance. Ask anyone who is 61 or so and most will tell you the same thing.

We have a handler that is married to an attorney at a fairly large law firm. I am sure she makes 6 figures and then some as an attorney. Her husband is a handler and works as few hours as possible just so they can have decent affordable insurance. I am sure they can afford 2k or more a month for healthcare but they are smart enough to use Fedex insurance.

Last edited:

MAKAVELI

Paying 2k a month for medical insurance is not a few bucks. The lump sum payment they give us to pay our medical helps but if I can make and save $2750 a month by working 10 hrs a week, that is a no brainer.
You're not saving anything by not retiring. And I guarantee you'll be working more than 10 hours a week.

floridays

It's all about the health insurance. Ask anyone who is 61 or so and most will tell you the same thing.

We have a handler that is married to an attorney at a fairly large law firm. I am sure she makes 6 figures and then some as an attorney. Her husband is a handler and works as few hours as possible just so they can have decent affordable insurance. I am sure they can afford 2k or more a month for healthcare but they are smart enough to use Fedex insurance.
Understood.

Oldfart

You're not saving anything by not retiring. And I guarantee you'll be working more than 10 hours a week.
Basic math isn't your strong point. Have a 5th grader explain the difference between paying $250 a month as an employee or $2000 a month as a retiree, the difference is how much you saved. Maybe you can take your shoes off and count on your toes.

floridays

Basic math isn't your strong point. Have a 5th grader explain the difference between paying $250 a month as an employee or $2000 a month as a retiree, the difference is how much you saved. Maybe you can take your shoes off and count on your toes.
You're doin the right thing, best to ya.

floridays

Spending 40+ years at one company and claiming he has financial knowledge over most. :rofl:
That knowledge is probably a factor influencing his decision. We know nothing of his medical condition or his wife's, why possibly erode a lifetime of investing if there is a good chance to erode it with one medical occurrence. As much as the guy has irritated me, I see his point. He's making the right choice. Initially he could have said he was going part-time, not that he was retiring, a word that has a great ring to my ear.

vantexan

Keep laughing. Work 10 or so hours and save $1750 a month in insurance premiums. That is pretty savy in my book.

You make a $1000 month and save $1750. That is like making $2750 a month for working about 40 hours. Looks like about $65 an hour.
Planning on walking away when you get Medicare?

MAKAVELI

That knowledge is probably a factor influencing his decision. We know nothing of his medical condition or his wife's, why possibly erode a lifetime of investing if there is a good chance to erode it with one medical occurrence. As much as the guy has irritated me, I see his point. He's making the right choice. Initially he could have said he was going part-time, not that he was retiring, a word that has a great ring to my ear.
The only factor is after 40+ years he can't retire. Ttku :censored2:. :happy2: