COLA raise in October? (Express Only)

FedExMan

We got out October raise in April, but if it wouldn't have been bumped up 6 months the steps are adjusted for cost of living (COLA). Do you think we will see the step adjustment in October?

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
I see the thread title says (Express only.) That’s because Ground gets raises every 30 years whether they need one or not.

Oldfart

That was a result of the tax breaks the company got, not based on cost of living or FedEx's performance.
Thought raises were based on all of those. They moved the raise up based on the tax break but the ability to do it was a combination of the 3. A tax break without company profits would not have resulted in a raise.

McFeely

Huge Member
Actually, I misspoke.

The fact that our increase in pay was 6 mos early was a result of the tax break that we got for 2018 and a PR move to make us look good to the public. Don't get me wrong, 6 mos earlier raise helped my pay a bit so I'm not complaining.

The raise itself, of course, would not have happened if the company wasn't profitable. I don't give much faith in FedEx giving us raises just because of inflation/COLA, however. I firmly believe that the only reason we're getting as good of raises (aka the step progression) is because of turnover and the resulting expense in missed on-time guarantees as well as training new people. The company would love to have a ton of $18/hr couriers and have them be brainless robots that follow DRA. Who cares about turnover when DRA is the guide? Turns out, this job doesn't just do itself and it costs the company money to have it done correctly.

Here's the $64 million question: Do you think FedEx will give out raises early again in 2019 when they receive the SAME TAX BREAK as in 2018? How about 2020? 2021?

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Actually, I misspoke.

The fact that our increase in pay was 6 mos early was a result of the tax break that we got for 2018 and a PR move to make us look good to the public. Don't get me wrong, 6 mos earlier raise helped my pay a bit so I'm not complaining.

Never understood why people questioned a pay increase. A pure PR raise spends just the same as one that comes with the highest of praise and gratitude. I know some people who would complain about it.

whenIgetthere

Actually, I misspoke.

The raise itself, of course, would not have happened if the company wasn't profitable. I don't give much faith in FedEx giving us raises just because of inflation/COLA, however. I firmly believe that the only reason we're getting as good of raises (aka the step progression) is because of turnover and the resulting expense in missed on-time guarantees as well as training new people. The company would love to have a ton of $18/hr couriers and have them be brainless robots that follow DRA. Who cares about turnover when DRA is the guide? Turns out, this job doesn't just do itself and it costs the company money to have it done correctly.

Here's the $64 million question: Do you think FedEx will give out raises early again in 2019 when they receive the SAME TAX BREAK as in 2018? How about 2020? 2021?

No.

Oldfart

Supposedly.
They gave it kicking and screaming because other companies made their announcements earlier of bonuses and higher wages. It was theatre.
Were you there when compensation decided to give the raise 6 months early? Did you witness the kicking and screaming?

When are you gonna provide the facts to prove me wrong when I said it had been 8 to 10 years since we did not get a raise. You never gave a definite answer. Could it be you were wrong? Bummer

Oldfart

Actually, I misspoke.

Figures you would be the Debbie downer. If they gave out raises early in 2018, 2019, 2020 AND 2021, would they really be early or would they just be adjusting the date of the raises?

Last edited:

Oldfart

Never understood why people questioned a pay increase. A pure PR raise spends just the same as one that comes with the highest of praise and gratitude. I know some people who would complain about it.
I predicted before they gave the raise last spring that people would complain. Plenty did and will continue. Just read some of these post.

overflowed

No, you will not sadly. This company only bothered to even give you an early raise because everyone else at the time was doing the same . They only care about PR. Not truth. I left because of this exact reason. I regret being hired at Fedex.

Oldfart

No, you will not sadly. This company only bothered to even give you an early raise because everyone else at the time was doing the same . They only care about PR. Not truth. I left because of this exact reason. I regret being hired at Fedex.
You are correct. It totally sucks when a company gives you a raise 6 months earlier than previous years. What were they thinking?

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
You are correct. It totally sucks when a company gives you a raise 6 months earlier than previous years. What were they thinking?
Man, you need to take off the FedEx rose colored glasses. Or are they tattooed on your face? Ever heard of ulterior motives?