Comfy Seasonal Driver and PVD Appreciation Thread

My point is that NOBODY should wad up if someone wants to do something, during work, that they don't advocate for.
I've read here, more than once, where drivers come in early to sort their shelves. They are making an investment in their day IMO. They can make their truck grab and go instead of hunt and peck. How much time is saved when your truck is perfectly sorted compared to the average sorting that's generally done. Maybe an hour? Maybe these drivers want to get home to their families an hour early and invest their own time in the effort to do so.
If this is decision I made, as a driver, and some union militant came to me and said something about MY decision there would be a BIG problem.
That just encourages the preload to use less preloaders and just throw stuff into the package cars because the driver will come in early off the clock to clean up the mess.

Red Devil

The Power of Connected
My point is that NOBODY should wad up if someone wants to do something, during work, that they don't advocate for.
I've read here, more than once, where drivers come in early to sort their shelves. They are making an investment in their day IMO. They can make their truck grab and go instead of hunt and peck. How much time is saved when your truck is perfectly sorted compared to the average sorting that's generally done. Maybe an hour? Maybe these drivers want to get home to their families an hour early and invest their own time in the effort to do so.
If this is decision I made, as a driver, and some union militant came to me and said something about MY decision there would be a BIG problem.

I hope you break your bad hip working for free before start time some day

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Yo
I was told, ONE SINGLE TIME, that I should take 30 if I work +8. It was a very passive mentioning.
I didn't work over 8 more than a handful of times anyway. I would not like to sit around for 30 minutes. That would irritate me.

Do you enjoy small talk?
I can't help who I am. I'm intolerant of small talk, gossip, drama etc and I'm not comfortable being in a crowd. Never have been. This is one main reason I got TH out of long Island almost 40 years ago.
I believe having one, two or three good friends is far better than having a bunch of "good acquaintances.
You sound like a “weirdo” to me

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Doubt it would be to big of a problem tuff guy. You see extra work which is what you are doing is offered in seniority order. So someone with more seniority than you would grieve this and get paid for the time you were jicking around in the back of a package car. At this point your boss would instruct you to stay out of package cars before start time or be disciplined
You sure that’s the hill you want to die on
tuff guy

Shift Inhibit

He who laughs last didn't get it.
Have you worked much in the last 2 weeks? Just wondering. 85% of the pvd’s are gone at my building. A few of the runners are hanging on by a thread

BlackFriday

Please remove my account. This forum sucks.
Have you worked much in the last 2 weeks? Just wondering. 85% of the pvd’s are gone at my building. A few of the runners are hanging on by a thread
I worked two days two weeks ago and 3 days last week. I got a text yesterday that I will be working Tues-Fri this week but I don't believe it.
Not that I give a rats rear end but too many here have a completely wrong image of me. Many of my replies are posted just to try and learn. I obviously have no dog in the fight but what's wrong with learning. It's just very difficult to convey context in a forum. I don't get why I get destroyed by a few here? Best recommendation is to put me on ignore if you can't stand me. Then go soak your head(s).

Shift Inhibit

He who laughs last didn't get it.
I worked two days two weeks ago and 3 days last week. I got a text yesterday that I will be working Tues-Fri this week but I don't believe it.
Not that I give a rats rear end but too many here have a completely wrong image of me. Many of my replies are posted just to try and learn. I obviously have no dog in the fight but what's wrong with learning. It's just very difficult to convey context in a forum. I don't get why I get destroyed by a few here? Best recommendation is to put me on ignore if you can't stand me. Then go soak your head(s).
Good luck to you in your future endeavors

35years

Gravy route
You are management posing as a pvd. I would bet my check.

Working without getting paid is called slavery.

You deny the God given dignity of the human person by suggesting it is reasonable that drivers work off the clock.

If they want to set up the shelves, do so 1 minute after morning meeting on the clock.

Last edited:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You are management posing as a pvd. I would bet my check.

Working without getting paid is called slavery.

You deny the God given dignity of the human person by suggesting drivers should work off the clock.

If they want to set up the shelves, do so 1 minute after morning meeting on the clock.
Working without getting paid can also be called volunteering.

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member

Doubt it would be to big of a problem tuff guy. You see extra work which is what you are doing is offered in seniority order. So someone with more seniority than you would grieve this and get paid for the time you were jicking around in the back of a package car. At this point your boss would instruct you to stay out of package cars before start time or be disciplined
You sure that’s the hill you want to die on
tuff guy
I was just going to suggest this, @burrheadd.
Easy grievance.

BlackFriday

Ok. I am convinced that working off the clock is wrong and I was wrong as well. Thanks to the posts here I am now in the same camp. I've been educated. Sorry for being wrong about this but it happens and I don't have a problem admitting when I'm wrong.
As far as the other garbage I don't know what to say other than I am not management and I only have this one user profile/membership. If there is a way I can prove it let me know.

35years

Gravy route
Working without getting paid can also be called volunteering.
It is not volunteering when you are in a subordinate business position.

There is innate economic pressure built in. Employers and employees are not on an equal plane, in terms of power, in the relationship.

Additionally, the pressure of forced overtime at UPS, combined with family responsibilities, makes the idea of working off the clock being "volunteering" untenable.

Last edited:

BlackFriday

It is not volunteering when you are in a subordinate business position.

There is innate economic pressure built in. Employers and employees are not on an equal plane, in terms of power, in the relationship.

Additionally, the pressure of forced overtime at UPS, combined with family responsibilities, makes the idea of working off the clock being "voluntary" untenable.
Get ready for a caning.

Red Devil

The Power of Connected

Something about you is uniquely irritating and it’s easy to talk crap online. If I met you in real life I probably wouldn’t like you still but I would be more polite about it.

TSB

Yeah, I'm a road hog
Well, we were here first so if you are butt-hurt YOU go away.

BlackFriday

Something about you is uniquely irritating and it’s easy to talk crap online. If I met you in real life I probably wouldn’t like you still but I would be more polite about it.
Oh thanks!
I got off on the wrong foot with several here due to me being too reactive and combative after being called a scab. I shouldn't have behaved this way for a few reasons. The main one being I'm not a union member or a full time ups employee (yet😬). Seems those that flamed me without provocation could have behaved better as well but I'll blame myself. It's a lot easier that way.
If you met me and still hated me to your core, as you do with prejudice, you'd be the one and only. I have no enemies in my personal life. Never have. I love helping people and I do so as often as possible. I'm a good dude trust me.
I could care less about striving for approval and my friends are few but true. All are conservative and passionate about America. None of them are liberals. Ain't gonna happen.