Constantly Being Asked To Work In Different Area

cjlopes07

My question is there a policy that states that an employee can be asked to work in a different work area?

Here is my current situation. I have 10 years seniority as a part-time package handler. The first year I was with the company I was a loader. About 6 months later I became a unloader. I've worked in the unload ever since. I worked the twilight sort for 6 and half years before switching to midnight. When I began midnight I was asked to load. About 4-5 months on midnight I requested to be changed to unload being that I work 8 hours a days prior to the start of my shift at UPS. While I was a loader I was working in excess of 12 and half hours a day. They understood my situation and I was granted a position in the unload. From time to time I would be asked to load to cover a call out or vacation, which I was perfectly okay with.

My issue is lately Ive been loading about 4 out of 5 days a week now because our hub is short staffed. They haven't hired a loader prior to seasonal help since maybe around August of 2016. I am highly respected by both part-time and full-time management, I am under that impression because of being requested my name. Also they will send loader employees home and have me take there spot. Which stinks because I am never asked if I want to leave early because I am apparently responsible to make sure no other supervisor "needs" me. It pisses me off when they send people home with far less seniority and don't bother to ask me.

I've told my supervisors I prefer to stay in the unload but they listen to what they are told to do and I am feed up with having to load.

If someone could respond with a direct policy on whether or not I should push the issue of having to load that would be greatly appreciated!

cjlopes07

I was told by a full time supervisor who is no longer with the company that I was able to leave when my actual work area is done. I am not sure how true that is.

km3

I was told by a full time supervisor who is no longer with the company that I was able to leave when my actual work area is done. I am not sure how true that is.

That's one of those doozies that's right up there with the claim some people make that part time employees can't be forced to work after 5 hours. Neither of which is true (unless there's a past practice). You're done when you're told you can go.

Work as directed. Express your concerns to your supervisors, and then to your stewards if they don't listen. That's about all you can do.

This is what happens when you do a good job here. Sad, isn't it?

cjlopes07

Why are you not in the sort aisle after 10 years? Do your body a favor and learn to sort and you will not be bounced around.
I was asked to be a sorter but considering they've asked me to load, unload, bag in smalls, sort in smalls, pull smalls, sort irregs, tape, and pull irregs I drew the line there and said I wasn't about to start having to sort as well. I get the feeling I'd be bother there to see that they also have former irreg drivers leave the sort aisle and have to work irrges.

N

Nothing by 1030 anymore

My question is there a policy that states that an employee can be asked to work in a different work area?

Here is my current situation. I have 10 years seniority as a part-time package handler. The first year I was with the company I was a loader. About 6 months later I became a unloader. I've worked in the unload ever since. I worked the twilight sort for 6 and half years before switching to midnight. When I began midnight I was asked to load. About 4-5 months on midnight I requested to be changed to unload being that I work 8 hours a days prior to the start of my shift at UPS. While I was a loader I was working in excess of 12 and half hours a day. They understood my situation and I was granted a position in the unload. From time to time I would be asked to load to cover a call out or vacation, which I was perfectly okay with.

My issue is lately Ive been loading about 4 out of 5 days a week now because our hub is short staffed. They haven't hired a loader prior to seasonal help since maybe around August of 2016. I am highly respected by both part-time and full-time management, I am under that impression because of being requested my name. Also they will send loader employees home and have me take there spot. Which stinks because I am never asked if I want to leave early because I am apparently responsible to make sure no other supervisor "needs" me. It pisses me off when they send people home with far less seniority and don't bother to ask me.

I've told my supervisors I prefer to stay in the unload but they listen to what they are told to do and I am feed up with having to load.

If someone could respond with a direct policy on whether or not I should push the issue of having to load that would be greatly appreciated!
Welcome to the real ups, they will use and abuse you to suit their needs. Some supervisors will be part human and sympathetic while others will not. You are at their mercy. If you start resisting or complaining about seniority you will earn a target on ur back

Mst3k

Fill grievances on supervisors working and get paid, if you are lucky they will retaliate and start sending you home early.

jeepupser

I used to have this problem when I was in small sort (I was told that when you are asked by name you can't do anything about it). However, I inadvertently found out that if yo load a scanner in the wall they will not ask for you to load again.

browntroll

im in the same boat, management loves my work ethic but hates my attitude being a :censored2:bag
wont do anything. working slower will, i got moved off a belt cause i decided im not gonna reach for 5 packages
in the 1 second they want me to so i kept stopping the belt which caused a back up, belt shut off, packages took longer
to get to preload, preloaders had less time to load, drivers had to either wait longer or leave stuff behind. u get the picture i hope.
i know one guy that signed a sheet im assuming bid for unload position to get out of small sort but hey says now hes not allowed
to go back to small sort for extra time.

N

Nothing by 1030 anymore

im in the same boat, management loves my work ethic but hates my attitude being a :censored2:bag
wont do anything. working slower will, i got moved off a belt cause i decided im not gonna reach for 5 packages
in the 1 second they want me to so i kept stopping the belt which caused a back up, belt shut off, packages took longer
to get to preload, preloaders had less time to load, drivers had to either wait longer or leave stuff behind. u get the picture i hope.
i know one guy that signed a sheet im assuming bid for unload position to get out of small sort but hey says now hes not allowed
I give up

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
You're proud of lengthening a drivers day because you didn't get what you want?