Contract news?

satellitedriver

What gives you the right to speak on what other upsers need or dont want?
The exact same right as you have to speak or shout your opinionated opinion.
You seem to hate UPS. yet you continue to work for them.
Why?
Are you not willing to go out and work at a job that you can respect? Or is your sole mission to stand tall. right the wrongs imposed by the evil UPS and preserve the sanctity of the always caring, warm embracing comfort of your so called brotherhood.

705red

Browncafe Steward
The exact same right as you have to speak or shout your opinionated opinion.
You seem to hate UPS. yet you continue to work for them.
Why?
Are you not willing to go out and work at a job that you can respect? Or is your sole mission to stand tall. right the wrongs imposed by the evil UPS and preserve the sanctity of the always caring, warm embracing comfort of your so called brotherhood.
I like my job! I HATE management that srew up my job! The truth is most of the sups i see now adays couldnt run a drive thru sucessfully! I guess you come here to voice your opinion because the fellas at the barn dont want to here it, and you cant get contract updates from your union because your not union and cant go to the meetings! Dont worry about our contract, if it was up to me you would get the scraps left over, if i gave you that much!

satellitedriver

Because someone stands up to management and what they believe to be right they must have come from tnet. I belonged to browncafe long before i even looked at tnet for your info. If you like taking managements words as the gospel so be it, just overlook my posts then!
My, My.
Touchy aren't we Mr. Red.

satellitedriver

I like my job! I HATE management that srew up my job! The truth is most of the sups i see now adays couldnt run a drive thru sucessfully! I guess you come here to voice your opinion because the fellas at the barn dont want to here it, and you cant get contract updates from your union because your not union and cant go to the meetings! Dont worry about our contract, if it was up to me you would get the scraps left over, if i gave you that much!
Mr. Ed,
I do not need updates. I do not work at a barn. I do not hate management.
I have worked at UPS for 20 yr's and have never been fired nor have I ever recieved a warning letter. I have never missed a day calling in sick, for personal business or bad weather.
Can you even come close to saying the same?
Let's see.
You have bragged that you were fired three times and the teamsters got your job back. The first one, lay the fault on management. The second one, OK it was managements fault. The third one? A pattern seems to be emerging.
Maybe, just maybe,you should try a little introspection and contemplate where the fault lies.
Your hate rules you and it shows.

705red

Browncafe Steward
Mr. Ed,
I have worked at UPS for 20 yr's and have never been fired nor have I ever recieved a warning letter. I have never missed a day calling in sick, for personal business or bad weather.
Let's see.
You have bragged that you were fired three times and the teamsters got your job back. The first one, lay the fault on management. The second one, OK it was managements fault. The third one? A pattern seems to be emerging.
Maybe, just maybe,you should try a little introspection and contemplate where the fault lies.
Your hate rules you and it shows.
Listen here scab, unlike you i care and worry about what happens to the drivers i drive next to. The reasons i have been fired all have to deal with me being a union steward and ENFORCING our(not yours) contract. I think we all know you havent missed a day of work, but im proud of missing 19 days in august of 1997. No matter what happens from here on out i can tell my kids and grand kids that i stood tall and was part of the biggest work stoppages in our history. For your sake i hope you dont have any sons to attempt to teach how to be a man, because you pops dropped the ball on you, guess he always wanted a girl.

705red

Browncafe Steward
I think that definately falls within the realm of a "low blow." Not very classy.
Look im not going to hold his hand and bake cookies with him/her. Satelite comes here under this topic spewing his opinion when it has no value on our contract. He has to look in the mirror everyday and go to work with the guys he sold out, so im sure hes got thick skin by now, and if he doesnt he probably doesnt want to start calling names with me because he cant win.

Braveheart

Quote:
When managements on the road do you see them grab an air conditioned package car?

There's none to grab! I got an idea though, why don't we cut cost and cut all the ac off in all the buildings!?;)

Cole i think it would be a great idea for your union to cut a/c and heating at the hall and stick the savings into the pension.

As far as OSHA, maybe it's time to have them take a look, thanks for the suggestion!

Ah I didn't suggest it cole what I basically said was that you have enough whining , crying , back stabbing brothers in the ranks that I'm sure the issue has already been called into OSHA many times. Therefore if we are violating osha standards then I'm sure its been addressed. Therefore it can't be a violation of OSHA as you stated.

How about the leaking trucks?

what about them? You forget how to fill out a DVIR?

Do the customers matter so little, that mangmnt can't put their money where their mouths are? How much time do you think is lost due to not having powersteering as well?

You keep trying to define service as driving up in a brand new package car. Service is also cost control. Service is also squeezing another 100 k miles out of a package car. Despite that I've never seen this company buy as many new tractors and package cars as they have the last few years. Every freaking car they put out has many of the newer safer features our drivers have requested. Perhaps we could also discuss the positives?
Well we are still using some old beasts that have no power steering, awful shifters, and are a god 4 inches higher than the other trucks. Trucks like these cause groin, ankle, and knee injuries not to mention carpel tunnel. We need all these old beasts replaced for starters. Why can't they design all the new trucks to have exhaust fans in the rear of the truck to help pull all that heat out. And why can't they have more air vents in the cab like say 4. Remember the old VW bugs had those little triangle windows that pulled the air in right at your midsection and not 2 feet above your head or down by your feet. The guys that are designing these trucks are the same guys that designed the Hindenburg, Etzel, and Titanic.

Cole

They're probably as old as those you mentioned as well!

What is also a travesty imo is when it rains the leaking roofs, and water builds up on the shelves, so when you get heavy NDA's you can't put them in the back as they'll get soaked!

Obviousley the Company wants to have their cake and eat it too, and is happy just to get through another day, then whines we they lose business as a result of being El-Cheapo on the equiptment aspect.

tieguy

Banned

The problem with your plan for uniting is you want the teamsters affected by the CSron scandel to continue to stay loyal to a plan thats forty percent funded. You might as well ask them to be kamikazes and prepare for their own suicide.

Right now you offer them the option to enjoy more of the same misery because you don't offer them the chance to fix their pensions. You don't offer them the chance to enjoy the retirement they have earned and ups has paid for.

you don't offer them the chance to negotiate with UPS for a retirement plan that has language that protects them from both UPS and the conditions that currently squeeze their well earned retirement.

You offer them a pissed away retirement on the premise that there might be a bogeyman out there. You think that somehow justifies staying on the titanic.

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
Listen here scab, unlike you i care and worry about what happens to the drivers i drive next to. The reasons i have been fired all have to deal with me being a union steward and ENFORCING our(not yours) contract. I think we all know you havent missed a day of work, but im proud of missing 19 days in august of 1997. No matter what happens from here on out i can tell my kids and grand kids that i stood tall and was part of the biggest work stoppages in our history. For your sake i hope you dont have any sons to attempt to teach how to be a man, because you pops dropped the ball on you, guess he always wanted a girl.

Scab? I think not, sir. He was doing what his conscience demanded of him. I can't say I wouldn't do the same. If the Reamsters called a strike tomorrow, I would probably cross that picket line. Will you call me a scab for trying to feed myself, put myself through school AND be told to cease working by an organization that is not my employer?????? If my employer gives me a work order, you're d*mn right I'm going to follow it with a, "Yessir." Throwing rocks at me and threatening me for trying to earn a living is (or should be) a thing from the first quarter of last century.

Mr. Ed,

I work in a hub, Satellite. Its not the friendliest of operations but I don't hate management. I stay out of their way and they return the favor most of the time. By that, I mean I don't file annoying grievances or slow down the flow of the operation with my speed. My former p/t sup was an SOB trying to go full-time. After my last incident with him, I transferred to a different work area. He won't last 5 years as an on-road (where he's trying to work as a full-timer). If he does, he won't go above on-road because he's a maroon! My current p/t sup and I had a discussion the other day. I told him, "If you're working to help me, I won't grieve you. If you're working to get me mad, I'll grieve you so frigging fast it'll make your head spin." He smiled slightly and said, "You won't catch me working except to help you. I take care of my employees, bud." I told him we won't have a problem if he stands by that comittment. Thus far, we haven't. I'm working a second job this summer and he cuts me with plenty of time to catch my ride.

I've worked for UPS all told--two inside stints and two others as a helper--about two years. I might be getting a write-up for a recent attendance issue but I've never had a problem with attendance in the past at any job. NEVER a write-up, a warning letter, etc. Being young, I guess I have that luxury. -Rocky

tieguy

Banned
My whole point here is the teamsters arent perfect, ups isnt perfect, alot of things in life arent perfect, and sometimes its easy to just complain about it. Then their are guys who will stand up for what the believe without bashing the efforts of those involved by having their voices heard and showing a support for their union without attempting to dismantle it.

The problem is the guys who stood up for the teamsters in 97 got screwed. How then can you fault a guy who said the teamsters were not representing his best interest and turned out to be right. What does soladarity gain you when you're standing on the deck of the titanic?

tieguy

Banned

Here's what i see. You're standing on the deck of the titanic. you're playing your fiddle and standing tall with the band and thats admirable. You despise those who have already jumped into a lifeboat. There is a reason that the some left the union. they clearly felt the teamsters were not making an honest effort to represent their interests. You don't recognize that. when you see them leave the ship you assume there is something wrong with them you don't look to see if the ship is leaking itself. From my perspective biased as it may be I don't see a teamster democracy. I see an organization that carefully crafts the rhetoric of the evil empire and expects its members to blindly follow the script. If for instance a teamster was to stand up in the hall and actually say he enjoyed his job and was proud to work for ups then many members of the hall would chastise him for being a suck up. Here and on other boards you continously see the "hate the company" rhetoric appear. So when it comes time to save the pension you folks throw up a road block by saying the company can not be part of the solution. As such you limit options and force everyone back into accepting a plan thats forty percent funded. You can sit down and negotiate a pension plan that ensures everyone a good retirement but you limit your choices to the point where no retirement is accepted because otherwise you are not a good brother in the union. God help us if the company and teamsters ever got together on the same frickin page.

tieguy

Banned
Well we are still using some old beasts that have no power steering, awful shifters, and are a god 4 inches higher than the other trucks. Trucks like these cause groin, ankle, and knee injuries not to mention carpel tunnel. We need all these old beasts replaced for starters. Why can't they design all the new trucks to have exhaust fans in the rear of the truck to help pull all that heat out. And why can't they have more air vents in the cab like say 4. Remember the old VW bugs had those little triangle windows that pulled the air in right at your midsection and not 2 feet above your head or down by your feet. The guys that are designing these trucks are the same guys that designed the Hindenburg, Etzel, and Titanic.

I'm sorry I didn't see any edsels the last time I went to work. I saw package cars designed with the steps lower to the ground so there would be less stepping and I saw new package cars rolling out with automatic transmissions. must have been paid for by the teamsters union since the company is buying edsels.

Cole

Seems someone is trying to flood the thread. So Tie your center has all new trucks? Must be nice, but the majority are about 1/3 newer trucks.

705red

Browncafe Steward
Scab? I think not, sir. He was doing what his conscience demanded of him. I can't say I wouldn't do the same. If the Reamsters called a strike tomorrow, I would probably cross that picket line. Will you call me a scab for trying to feed myself, put myself through school AND be told to cease working by an organization that is not my employer?????? If my employer gives me a work order, you're d*mn right I'm going to follow it with a, "Yessir." Throwing rocks at me and threatening me for trying to earn a living is (or should be) a thing from the first quarter of last century.

I work in a hub, Satellite. Its not the friendliest of operations but I don't hate management. I stay out of their way and they return the favor most of the time. By that, I mean I don't file annoying grievances or slow down the flow of the operation with my speed. My former p/t sup was an SOB trying to go full-time. After my last incident with him, I transferred to a different work area. He won't last 5 years as an on-road (where he's trying to work as a full-timer). If he does, he won't go above on-road because he's a maroon! My current p/t sup and I had a discussion the other day. I told him, "If you're working to help me, I won't grieve you. If you're working to get me mad, I'll grieve you so frigging fast it'll make your head spin." He smiled slightly and said, "You won't catch me working except to help you. I take care of my employees, bud." I told him we won't have a problem if he stands by that comittment. Thus far, we haven't. I'm working a second job this summer and he cuts me with plenty of time to catch my ride.

I've worked for UPS all told--two inside stints and two others as a helper--about two years. I might be getting a write-up for a recent attendance issue but I've never had a problem with attendance in the past at any job. NEVER a write-up, a warning letter, etc. Being young, I guess I have that luxury. -Rocky
No rock what he did was turn his back on his fellow upsers and accepted what we stood tall for. If he did what he felt was right then he shouldnt benefit from the contractual packages that WE earned, i bet he has no problem cashing that weekly check and cashing in on all the other articles like seniority, medical, etc. It takes a big man to let others fight his battle!

Rock if you crossed you would be a scab! But if you cross and you feel its your right than stay out of union business after doing so, because your opinion is not welcome after that kind of betrayl!

705red

Browncafe Steward
How can you honestly say that when you keep trying to force them back into a failing pension plan?
I have never forced anyone to stay in the cs plan! I have voiced my opinion on possible outcomes that could happen under your company sponsored single employer plan. Why all of the interest all of a sudden tie? Is this managements attempt to brainwash and force feed us your side of the story? You seem to acknowkledge that you know what ups's pension proposal is, so go ahead and show us what you have so the parties involved (cs pensioners) can make a decision for themselves. At least tell us whats in it for ups and please dont tell us you care about the employees while your everyday actions ( busting out routes, over working us daily, and continuosly violating our contract) show us we are only numbers to you and nothing else. Tie you keep painting the company as being perfect, but its far from perfect. You feel that ups has no fault in the cs plan so in turn your giving the ups trustees a pass and attempting to pass the buck all onto the teamsters. Now the teamsters deserve to be blamed but also all the trustees (even the untouchable ups trustees), and the investment firms, with the governments help.

So tie if you will like to continue this debate at least debate it open minded and stop quoting your company handouts as the word as the lord!

tieguy

Banned
I have never forced anyone to stay in the cs plan! I have voiced my opinion on possible outcomes that could happen under your company sponsored single employer plan. Why all of the interest all of a sudden tie? Is this managements attempt to brainwash and force feed us your side of the story?

Geez Red using the old management conspiracy dodge already? Anyone who has been around this board any length of time knows How I feel abuot our hard working upsers getting screwed out of their pensions by the teamsters. You on the other hand keep selling the CSron pension fund, the bogeyman in the shadows rhetoric and now the management here to sell the contract lines. Did I score a checkmate or do you have something to actually say about the pension?

Cole

All I saw that Red said, was that UPS has trustees on the CS fund, and they aren't being called out for their role in it. Also I haven't seen him "selling" the CS fund, and has admitted it's in dire straits. Something has to be done no doubt about that.