Contract proposals for 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

wide load

Starting wage is a waste of time.
I don't understand your q. Do you, in your center or building, have a bunch of folks who were seasonal temporary drivers (whatever they call it there), now they work inside part time? hoping for a FSP slot, but come summer they'll go back on the road as RTD, lower pay, no accrued full-time seniority or progression...
Actually, all our TCD's will accrue time off their progression. We are in a position in our building where they make way more driving. They make $10-$15 part time, when they drive they make $18.75. What's the problem. I'd rather us use our own people as casuals than an outside employee.

wide load

Starting wage is a waste of time.
The same folks that can't load, can barely drive a commercial vehicle, and don't like doing hourly work until they become management.
They seem to have a hard time getting Sup's in our building. What a crap job.

10 Pt

Actually, all our TCD's will accrue time off their progression. We are in a position in our building where they make way more driving. They make $10-$15 part time, when they drive they make $18.75. What's the problem. I'd rather us use our own people as casuals than an outside employee.
I believe he/she is saying that they can only be tcd or seasonal one time. They only have to "qualify" once now but the change they want is for an automatic ft job the second time they cover...Even after peak? That'd be good for them but not sure what we'd have to give up for that.

10 Pt

They seem to have a hard time getting Sup's in our building. What a crap job.
We have an abundance of lazy people here that qualify.

It's interesting though...
when they go into management it's kind of like being drafted in the late 60s and early 70s. A total wake up call, because now they have no union protection and they're forced to be productive.

542thruNthru

I don't know how to word it, but both the union and the employees are being shortchanged by the "regular temporary" category. Maybe it should say that a driver can only be RTD for a single season (or a year?) And they must be FSP the second year, and the first year of service should count in their progression and seniority.

It wouldn't happen the way you want. Even if they followed that rule it wouldn't go to the R&D that already drove one season. The fulltime position would go to the next highest seniority person in line.

So soon you wouldn't even drive at all. I hated it also. The company really takes advantage of tcd/cover drivers.

NXA

The problem is that every year goes by they're not in progression toward top pay. While they're part time they can't really take another job, they might be on the road next week. So they're stuck, and it costs them in the six figures over the course of their career. Never mind delayed opportunity to go feeders or other premium slots. Maybe that's ok with you?

NXA

I believe he/she is saying that they can only be tcd or seasonal one time. They only have to "qualify" once now but the change they want is for an automatic ft job the second time they cover...Even after peak? That'd be good for them but not sure what we'd have to give up for that.
That's what I'm suggesting, but there might be a better way to protect somebody from getting stuck as RTD (same as TCD?) for years.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
That's what I'm suggesting, but there might be a better way to protect somebody from getting stuck as RTD (same as TCD?) for years.
Southern supplement has language that creates a full time position when a TCD works 156 reports in a year. Lowering that number would be a good start.

clean hairy

Could be an idea for folks to go through this thread and make notes as to which issues are important to them.
Then, get to the Union meetings early, and compare with other members.
That would at least give the Locals input as to what the Members would like to have in the next contract.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
Just throwing this out there. Maybe a provision for T-S drivers. When holidays fall on a Monday, they would get the day off tues. A lot of guys don't want to do the saturdays anyway, then throw in never having a three day holiday weekend, and it really sucks. We already seem to have lost Black Friday, let's start to keep the ones we have even if we have to get creative.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Could be an idea for folks to go through this thread and make notes as to which issues are important to them.
Then, get to the Union meetings early, and compare with other members.
That would at least give the Locals input as to what the Members would like to have in the next contract.

And, you saw the underlying subterfuge for the purpose of this thread.

Or.... it was really meant to help the members ? :biggrin:

Just throwing this out there. Maybe a provision for T-S drivers. When holidays fall on a Monday, they would get the day off tues. A lot of guys don't want to do the saturdays anyway, then throw in never having a three day holiday weekend, and it really sucks. We already seem to have lost Black Friday, let's start to keep the ones we have even if we have to get creative.

This is the kind of idea (I was hoping) this thread would generate.

We can bring more to the table.

Go.

-Bug-

upschuck

Our guys that have that schedule, that is exactly what happens, except for one guy I know, he chooses to work on those Tues. Monday holidays would be like the normal person's Sunday's, in which you'd get the next day off.

clean hairy

If we lose the day after thanksgiving, give us Presidents Day in its place.
As it is, our first paid holiday is not until the end of May.

hyena

If we lose the day after thanksgiving, give us Presidents Day in its place.
As it is, our first paid holiday is not until the end of May.
In the central we get holiday pay plus double time. If they take that away we should get a minimum of 3 additional option days.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
Our guys that have that schedule, that is exactly what happens, except for one guy I know, he chooses to work on those Tues. Monday holidays would be like the normal person's Sunday's, in which you'd get the next day off.
Is this in your supplement? Or just past practice? We sometimes take things for granted until the big bad company swoops in and changes it. If the language isn't strong, we're beat.

Status
Not open for further replies.