Contract proposals for 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inthegame

Ok, let's try this?

How about we make a list of all of the contractual enhancements vs the concessions incurred by part timers in the past 40 years?

If this list produces facts that show the Company and Union aren't benefiting, I'll autograph my tinfoil hat and send it to you.
That's too easy so I'm not playing that game, but you can send the autographed hat Next Day Air. Try to route it thru Philly so your buddy can add his fliers.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Since there are way more part timers, if it were the IBT's concern for cash, wouldn't it make more sense to enhance the part time wage?
Sure, if by design these part time jobs were actually meant to be a long term job or a career.

Instead, as long as I can remember (myself included), UPS recruits college kids for the vast majority of these part time jobs.
In most cases these employees fill the positions for up to four years, then wash, rinse, and repeat.
In many instances they don't last a full year.

It wasn't always this way, as once upon a time, part timers made the same hourly wages as full timers.
With this in mind, and my assertion that additional initiation fees make up at least the difference, why would the IBT have ever agreed to the split wage concession way back when?

I will make a prediction, one that will affirm some of my "conspiracy theories".
That prediction is that the IBT will vigorously negotiate to shorten the period of time a part timer has to wait upon employment to receive benefits in the next contract.

Why?.....because they now control a much greater portion of those funds than ever before since rebranding the C6 plan as TeamCare.
That's why you will never see part timers given the opportunity to choose between a higher hourly rate, or healthcare benefits.

TeamCare simply can't afford that notion.

Inthegame

Why?.....because they now control a much greater portion of those funds than ever before since rebranding the C6 plan as TeamCare.
"They" as the ever conniving IBT? You really need to think a bit harder on this. The IBT controls $0.00 of the Trust Fund money negotiated into any H&W plan including TeamCare.

If the nefarious IBT just wanted cash, they simply could put all efforts into wage increases, hence dues increases.

UPS would acquiesce higher wage rates in a heartbeat for lower benny costs.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
"They" as the ever conniving IBT? You really need to think a bit harder on this. The IBT controls $0.00 of the Trust Fund money negotiated into any H&W plan including TeamCare.

If the nefarious IBT just wanted cash, they simply could put all efforts into wage increases, hence dues increases.

UPS would acquiesce higher wage rates in a heartbeat for lower benny costs.
That's not what I'm saying and not implying anything "nefarious"?

I'm saying now that a much larger H&W fund is controlled by a "union entity", and it's success predicated by these contributions, now more than ever it's success or failure will be projected on our International leaders.

Follow the money.
It's everywhere and in many pots.

They've bid sets of cars here for years.
At my building Preloaders simply work as directed and have no choice of which cars they can load. They can bid different jobs to do, such as tram driver or sorter or clerk, but that was years ago when UPS posted PT jobs.

dudebro

Inside workers have "skilled" and "unskilled" positions, and you can't move a skilled insider to an unskilled position because in theory they may lose $1 per hour for the time worked in the unskilled area. The days of sending a sorter back into the unload for missorts are largely over.

10 Pt

Inside workers have "skilled" and "unskilled" positions, and you can't move a skilled insider to an unskilled position because in theory they may lose $1 per hour for the time worked in the unskilled area. The days of sending a sorter back into the unload for missorts are largely over.
They retain their skilled rate if forced on to a l job that pays less.

10 Pt

At my building Preloaders simply work as directed and have no choice of which cars they can load. They can bid different jobs to do, such as tram driver or sorter or clerk, but that was years ago4 when UPS posted PT jobs.
We have past practice that keeps them from losing their seniority.

I would like some sort of stipulation that says if a grievance is not heard with in a certain period of time it is automatically paid out. 15 days is more than enough time, I know our building has unheard grievances from the beginning of 2016. Some of the managers are not even in our building anymore.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I would like some sort of stipulation that says if a grievance is not heard with in a certain period of time it is automatically paid out. 15 days is more than enough time, I know our building has unheard grievances from the beginning of 2016. Some of the managers are not even in our building anymore.
We have many in our local that are years old.
Seems like, on the rare occasions that we actually hear grievances, that they skip around randomly and hear the ones the Labor manager is "willing" to hear.

Several have finally been heard that are more than two years old, after filing multiple labor charges.
Got one docketed to the state panel next month that is 32 months old.

There simply no good excuse for grievance either to not be heard in much more timely manner.
Two weeks may a bit too short, but 32 months is an abomination.

Status
Not open for further replies.