Contract rumor.

iruhnman630

All I can say is based on what happened in 97, DO NOT give the union a strike authorization. FORCE them to give us the company's last best and final offer. We would be glad at that point to have the union go over it line by line and tell us what they like and don't like, but ONLY WE should be making the decision to strike--not union bosses--and we can't make the right decision unless we have PERSONALLY seen the company's offer. I repeat, DO NOT GIVE THEM A STRIKE AUTHORIZATION.
Why would you want to send the union negotiators into the room late in the talks with their hands tied without strike authorization? Talk about giving the company everything they want.

I'm not the most ardent union guy around here but even I see the foolishness of voting against strike authorization.

kingOFchester

Why are they scared? Mostly because they live beyond their means and can't afford time off.
BINGO.

I worked hard for what I have. Deprived myself and family of the many luxuries people who make less have. End result, no mortgage, no car payments, no credit card balance and no fear of strike. Do I want a strike? No. Do I realize that I may end up without a job if we cripple the company by striking? Yup

oldupsman

Unfortunately I just can't see my fellow workers going on strike. From what I hear at work, many are afraid. I am in an unusual position being that the bulk of the family income comes from other sources so I could afford a strike. I am afraid that many others can not.
It's more than that King. It's really be hard to look your friends and family in the face and say." I make 32 dollars an hour with free health care
and 5 weeks vacation a year and I'm unhappy." Don't misunderstand. I spent 32 years fulltime in package car. I know where all the folks on this
board are coming from. I'm just saying the public just isn't going to get it. I feel the same way about my school teacher neighbor next door making
80 grand a year and wants to go on strike. I wish all you guys the best but nobody is gonna feel bad for you if you walk.

This is not something that is posted anywhere. I know I will get flamed for posting the info. It is from a reliable source. Believe what you want, as this is the internet. But if someone else had this information I would want it posted. THIS IS NOT FACT. But I do have faith in that the information is correct.

UPS wants a 7 year deal
They want NO raises for PT'ers over the life of the contract
They want to eliminate 22.3 jobs when a combo is promoted into feeders/package cars
Earlier health care proposals are still on the table
$1,000 bonus every other year

No need to bash me, I understand that everyone will want proof. But lets at least discuss the rumor.
Sounds like ups. Lets hope they fold or if not we as the workers don't. Vote no or are future is over.

Packmule

Why would you want to send the union negotiators into the room late in the talks with their hands tied without strike authorization? Talk about giving the company everything they want.

I'm not the most ardent union guy around here but even I see the foolishness of voting against strike authorization.

The point is, you won't be told the truth about what the company is proposing. Union bosses were flat out lying to us in 97 about part time jobs when everyone with a pea-brain knew it was about mulitiemployer pensions. Not saying we can't or shouldn't vote no the first time around, just saying make the union prove to you what they claim the company is offering, and then make up your own mind. Let's not be fools this time. Show up at the meetings, and vote NO on any strike authorization vote.
And just remember, strike 97 is why FedEx was created, and the bottom 15% of our workforce never returned to UPS.

kingOFchester

It's more than that King. It's really be hard to look your friends and family in the face and say." I make 32 dollars an hour with free health care
and 5 weeks vacation a year and I'm unhappy." Don't misunderstand. I spent 32 years fulltime in package car. I know where all the folks on this
board are coming from. I'm just saying the public just isn't going to get it. I feel the same way about my school teacher neighbor next door making
80 grand a year and wants to go on strike. I wish all you guys the best but nobody is gonna feel bad for you if you walk.

I did state that we are not going to get the public support if we strike. What I also said was that we really don't need the public support. We are not funded by any tax dollars. I really don't care what the public thinks. They have not sat in the seat of an old 800 stuffed down the center, foot of snow on the ground, freezing rain coming from the heavens, and pickups needing to be completed. I do not expect them to understand what we go through. Nor do I care for them to understand.

They should want us to stand up and fight and win. We loose and it is another step back for the middle class. People are to concerned with what the Jones family has and meanwhile the Rockefeller's get another private jet or island.

oldupsman

I did state that we are not going to get the public support if we strike. What I also said was that we really don't need the public support. We are not funded by any tax dollars. I really don't care what the public thinks. They have not sat in the seat of an old 800 stuffed down the center, foot of snow on the ground, freezing rain coming from the heavens, and pickups needing to be completed. I do not expect them to understand what we go through. Nor do I care for them to understand.

They should want us to stand up and fight and win. We loose and it is another step back for the middle class. People are to concerned with what the Jones family has and meanwhile the Rockefeller's get another private jet or island.
Agree with everything you said, especially sitting in that seat. It's impossible to try to explain to your friends what it's like to work for UPS.
Wish all you folks the best possible outcome.

kingOFchester

I see no gain in becoming permanently unemployed for the union. But I'm not concerned about that happening, either.

I too see no gain, but I realize there is always a chance. UPS is not to big to fail.

Side note, I will guarantee you I will never be permanently unemployed. If I have to scrub toilets with my hands to feed my family, I will do it.

bumped

Agree with everything you said, especially sitting in that seat. It's impossible to try to explain to your friends what it's like to work for UPS.
Wish all you folks the best possible outcome.

Its easy to explain what its like to work for UPS. They already see me rolling home at 8pm. They see me when it snows rolling home at 9-9:30 at night and then snow blowing my driveway. They know I can't play softball anymore because I can't get off to play the 1st game. They don't see me at the little league games, the school plays or other functions. They see me have to cancel on them because I can't get an 8 hour or got screwed on my 8 hour. They know when I have to call in sick just to be able to participate in a 7:00 event.

My friends, family, and even customers know I get paid well, but they also know what I can't do because of it.

InsideUPS

This is not something that is posted anywhere. I know I will get flamed for posting the info. It is from a reliable source. Believe what you want, as this is the internet. But if someone else had this information I would want it posted. THIS IS NOT FACT. But I do have faith in that the information is correct.

UPS wants a 7 year deal
They want NO raises for PT'ers over the life of the contract
They want to eliminate 22.3 jobs when a combo is promoted into feeders/package cars
Earlier health care proposals are still on the table
$1,000 bonus every other year

No need to bash me, I understand that everyone will want proof. But lets at least discuss the rumor.

Greetings kingOFchester.... No bashing here...in fact, any news is better than no news......at least it gives us something to think about...

In regard to:

1) UPS wants a 7 year deal
1a) Only if it was beneficial for all of us....

2) They want NO raises for PT'ers over the life of the contract
2a) Absolutely ridiculous...I would NEVER VOTE YES on this proposal.. Part-timers have been thrown under the bus for the past 30 years now.

3) They want to eliminate 22.3 jobs when a combo is promoted into feeders/package cars..
3a) Are we creating jobs or eliminating them? I think 22.3 jobs simply are a better fit for some of those wishing to come off the road etc.. The one thing I would like to see with 22.3 jobs is have them better defined....in other words...how much time they spend in a specific classification.

4) Earlier health care proposals are still on the table
4a) hall has to keep his word on this matter. I'm willing to balance the overall economics of the contract however unknown healthcare costs are something we have to be extremely aware of. I vote NO to any increase in our healthcare.

5) $1,000 bonus every other year
5a) Bonuses are for suckers.. Giving a bonus is how UPS first enticed all UPSers to keep the starting wage for part-timers at $8.50 and prevent them from getting the same wages as drivers received back in the early 80's. I vote NO to bonuses...

Summary.... BOTTOM LINE... as long as the Board of Directors continue to give themselves unprecedented salary and bonus increases...... I feel that we should not take ANY concessions. IF....and I repeat IF......UPS would enter into difficult economic times.... I would be willing to do my fair share in helping keep our company competitive....which includes a wage freeze...

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
Its easy to explain what its like to work for UPS. They already see me rolling home at 8pm. They see me when it snows rolling home at 9-9:30 at night and then snow blowing my driveway. They know I can't play softball anymore because I can't get off to play the 1st game. They don't see me at the little league games, the school plays or other functions. They see me have to cancel on them because I can't get an 8 hour or got screwed on my 8 hour. They know when I have to call in sick just to be able to participate in a 7:00 event.

My friends, family, and even customers know I get paid well, but they also know what I can't do because of it.

Exactly!!! Although I plan on voting NO! Have never voted otherwise. I feel the union is just about political posturing now. Not for the working class. Just profits for ceo's

Inthegame

We all know hall and his boss Hoffa will never lead a strike. After all, they both opposed the 1997 strike brother Ron Carey led.
If this crap is what they want us to settle on, Vote NOOOOOOOOOOO!

You really should do just a little homework. hall was Carey's chief negotiator in '97 and fully supported the strike.
No one is asking you to settle on anything. These are negotiations where both sides propose wacky stuff that will be evened out. UPS is reacting to the "race to the bottom" posture the public is embracing and testing the will of the union. Calm down Francis.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I thought we already went through this I'm a voice texter it's just easier I'm sure we can all go through a paragraph without a. And, I get it were all not truck drivers and box slingers it's just a big social network of English Lit majors I get it punctuation and grammar I graduate high school I just don't care hold on let me put a, in so you can remember when to take a breath and the. So you can remember when to stop reading it's about the content for me and whether it's going to give me any good information or not it's not about trying to impress you with how I speak n spell hold on let me get my thesaurus out

No problem ... I never felt the need to read every post.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I think all the ridiculous offers and posturing and general wasting of time and energy has everything to do with the fact that the negotiations are taking place in Florida.

Think about it. Both sides are able to enjoy nice hotels and amenities on an expense account. When they arent "negotiating", they are playing golf or walking on a nice sunny beach or hanging out in a nightclub far away from home.

If we want them to get serious...then from now on negotiations should be taking place in Fargo, North Dakota. In March. Make them stay in some ratty old Motel 6 by the freeway (2 to a room), and eat all their meals at the local truck stop. No nightclubs, no golf, no beaches. Hell, no cable TV. Something tells me that such accomodations would add a "sense of urgency" to the negotiation process that is currently lacking.