Country Bound

G.V. Rush

All Encompassing Member
what kind of transfer. work or hardship? did you have to go to bottom of list? just wondering since I transferred on a hardship from Bay Area to Sparks NV and had to start over on job seniority but kept my company seniority.
Yeah yeah a work transfer. I’m losing building seniority but keep company years. They’re hiring six drivers right now and as soon as I start I’ll have those six drivers under me because they’ll all still be on probation while I’m already well past vested.

G.V. Rush

All Encompassing Member
I'm curious. With you transferring in does that mean some poor slob at this center gets laid off?
theyre actually hiring at the moment and it’s a 5 inside hires to 1 transfer and I am that 1 transfer. So no, I’m not stepping on anybody

G.V. Rush

All Encompassing Member
I was excited too but as a driver I have regretted transferring for the past 10 years or so. The larger buildings are better for job opportunities. In an extended center you will likely be stuck in package like me. In a hub there are numerous other full-time opportunities should you get burn out I’m driving. But if you plan on working part time in side forever then an extended center is sweet.
To each is own I guess. I’d rather be in package another 15 years than stay in SF where everyone is a stuck up :censored2: or a severely mentally unstable homeless person covered in covid and dookie. I have daughters to take care of. This city hates families and I hate the city. It was fun in my 20’s. Now it’s just sad.

Overpaid Union Thug

To each is own I guess. I’d rather be in package another 15 years than stay in SF where everyone is a stuck up :censored2: or a severely mentally unstable homeless person covered in covid and dookie. I have daughters to take care of. This city hates families and I hate the city. It was fun in my 20’s. Now it’s just sad.
Yes no need for the human crap tracking app anymore.

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
So I got the call and my transfer is final. Getting out of this excrement-hole city and being moved to the country. Any advice from you rural drivers you can dish out that aren’t so obvious to this driver whose only delivered in the city? Btw I’ve lived in the sticks before so I know what it’s like. Just work advice would be awesome. Thanks everybody!

Yeah I prefer to not return home full of bulletholes. Thank you sir

Just do not watch the old "Fargo" episodes, that could change your mind about rural living. :gun_banda:runcirclsmiley2:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

what kind of transfer. work or hardship? did you have to go to bottom of list? just wondering since I transferred on a hardship from Bay Area to Sparks NV and had to start over on job seniority but kept my company seniority.

I am constantly amazed that you just happen to have a story in response to whatever topic is being discussed.

Thead Shi

1. Bring towels from the center to put around the floor of the the back door. The dust these things suck in will make the back of your truck dirty enough that packages wont scan and towels help seal better.

2. Be cautious of new gravel on driveways. Some homeowners are very sensitive if you are kicking up their freshly laid gravel and some driveways are very soft around the edge causing your tires to sink in.

3. Dirt driveways in the rain can suck your truck down so far your gonna need a tug to get out. Walk them out if they are not too far.

4. Your gonna have driveways where the trees or bushes are so close you cannot get your truck through. Talk with the customer and see if they can put bin at the end of the driveway for your packages or if you can at least bag and tie to mailbox.

5. Whistle when you get to a house and observe for the pooch. This has saved my ass a couple times, but don't assume that if one doesn't show up there is not one around.

6. MOST people do not care if you leave their package at their pole shed. You can ask the homeowner in advance or do like me and assume its fine until they say its not.

7. BRING DOG TREATS. This is also a life saver, I've been surprised on a few occasions where I would drop the package at the front door, turn around and be greeted by an angry dog. It's amazing how a couple dog biscuits can calm down most dogs.

8. EC is your friend on those terrible weather days. The boss may get a bit snippy but he's more happy everybody got back rather then having a bill from the tow company.

9. As somebody else mentioned, get to know the guys with tractors. I've been saved more times by generous people then with the tow man.

10. On very dry days your going to produce a lot of dust when driving. If you have a house that you deliver to quite frequently on a dirt road and it does not have a long driveway, be sure your going slow a quarter mile to it, as people get PISSED when people speed by dusting their house. I was just filmed yesterday by some lady saying she's reporting everyone throwing dust at her house to the county(like I cared about that).

11. Depending on how rural you will be and your own body's mechanics, avoid greasy foods. A couple slim jims for breakfast can put you in a pickle sooner then you think(Trust me, avoid slim jims).

12. Bring plenty of water. If its a hot day and particularly dry, you will get sick of the dust coming in the truck and close the front doors. I usually go through 10-15 bottles of water on those days because of the heat and lack of air flow.

You'll get the hang of it soon, and you'll have your own portable speaker listening to podcasts and pandora like the rest of us country drivers in no time.